Skills to List on Volunteer Applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IOwnAndPwnU

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm applying to a few volunteer places (e.g. hospital, hospice, other places where I might be able to get clinical/patient contact experiences). On their application forms, I can never decide what to put under the Skills/Training/Hobbies section. I usually just end up putting advanced computer skills (e.g. Excel, programming) and previous hospital training. Any suggestions or examples of what are relevant skills for these types of volunteer positions?

Members don't see this ad.

nunchuck skills, bow hunting skills, computer hacking skills......

Reactions: 1 users
Hello,

I'm applying to a few volunteer places (e.g. hospital, hospice, other places where I might be able to get clinical/patient contact experiences). On their application forms, I can never decide what to put under the Skills/Training/Hobbies section. I usually just end up putting advanced computer skills (e.g. Excel, programming) and previous hospital training. Any suggestions or examples of what are relevant skills for these types of volunteer positions?

Depending on the specific position you should match what skills you think are important. For volunteering in a hospice you need to list some forms of people skills. If its clerical work, you should be listing clerical skills. Am I missing something? This seems pretty obvious.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depending on the specific position you should match what skills you think are important. For volunteering in a hospice you need to list some forms of people skills. If its clerical work, you should be listing clerical skills. Am I missing something? This seems pretty obvious.

I guess wasn't quite sure whether I should be listing skills like "people skills" since maybe it's assumed applicants will have these. But truthfully, I am hoping to further develop my soft skills during my volunteer experience.

On my application, I checked off an interest in "Visiting" and "Recreation" (but also "Other" where I wrote that I'd be interested in being positioned in an ambulatory clinic or helping with patient satisfaction surveys). Any tips on what I should write for these types of hospital volunteer positions?

I guess wasn't quite sure whether I should be listing skills like "people skills" since maybe it's assumed applicants will have these. But truthfully, I am hoping to further develop my soft skills during my volunteer experience.

On my application, I checked off an interest in "Visiting" and "Recreation" (but also "Other" where I wrote that I'd be interested in being positioned in an ambulatory clinic or helping with patient satisfaction surveys). Any tips on what I should write for these types of hospital volunteer positions?

Well, I can only really speak from my own experience. I volunteered at a hospice. All it involved was talking to patients that were dying within the next 6 months. I would talk to any individual patient 2-3 times a week. The only skills relevant to put down for that would be things like friendly, patience, general people skills, compassion, empathy stuff like that. I wouldn't worry so much about it, it IS just a volunteering position after all, can't be too hard to get...

You could also say you are punctual, reliable, hard working, organised, whatever.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, I can only really speak from my own experience. I volunteered at a hospice. All it involved was talking to patients that were dying within the next 6 months. I would talk to any individual patient 2-3 times a week. The only skills relevant to put down for that would be things like friendly, patience, general people skills, compassion, empathy stuff like that. I wouldn't worry so much about it, it IS just a volunteering position after all, can't be too hard to get...

You could also say you are punctual, reliable, hard working, organised, whatever.

Ah, that's helpful. I suppose adding personality characteristics like being able to show compassion and empathy might be worth adding on an application. Thank you!