Slide scanner price

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Substance

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here know how much a good slide scanner costs? I'm particularly interested in the 100-slide Aperio.
Does anyone have experience working with this equipment and the software that comes with it?
Are there any sources where a working used model of the scanner would be up for sale?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone here know how much a good slide scanner costs? I'm particularly interested in the 100-slide Aperio.
Does anyone have experience working with this equipment and the software that comes with it?
Are there any sources where a working used model of the scanner would be up for sale?

When looking for equipment one site that provides consolidated information is biocompare.com It does not include everything, but does find unexpected sources.

Just send an email to Aperio, they will be back to you very quickly.

I vaguely recall an on-site demo from Aperio some years ago in residency, which seemed pretty slick at the time. I really think if you're talking about that kind of big budget item you're likely to want the service contract, and I don't know what's available as far as that goes with used items not bought direct or from an authorized reseller. Plus there may be some software licensing issues with the scanning component; they have a free viewer though, which is actually pretty nice. Unfortunately the refusal by most medical/med-tech companies to publicize any semblance of a price plan for their big budget products means you really have no idea whether to hope or how to plan, and the design of marketing and sales is aimed at entangling those who call and might have the resources to make it worth their while. Yes, I find it rather annoying to search for such things and not find any answers without submitting a formal request which is usually followed by several telephone calls and "what's your budget?" questions, when all I want is a friggin' ballpark so I can comparison shop without wasting a month or more of my life. Been there, done that. I have various guesses as to why most clients don't seem to offer what they paid, but most of those are rude guesses I simply can't back up.

Members don't see this ad :)

120k A significant chunk of that is licensing the server software too.

I think $120K is too low a price for the 100 slide scanner. At the most recent USCAP, I asked the rep what the 5 slide scanner was worth and he quoted it around $95K. The 100 slide model has to be in the $250K range plus software licensing fees.

If that's in the right ballpark (I've heard similar numbers in rumor over the years) then in other words, for the most part too expensive to allow telepathology to progress at a useful rate for some years yet, IMO. Sounds like it's still relegated to the realm of a "teaching" grant so some PhD can flash a few images up to teach histology without the med school having to maintain working microscopes. This part of pathology isn't going to substantially grow until reasonably affordable, high quality solutions are available (some low res "slide scanners" are out there for -considerably- less, as in ~$2000, but not much useful above the equivalent of 2x or so; frankly you can do that with a scope mounted camera). 100k+ setup plus maintenance and storage, or a minimum of $26/slide at 20x for >500 slides (aperio.com pricing - up to $150 per pre-marked 10x10 mm area on a slide for 1-10 slides at 100x oil) just doesn't cut it.

Does the Aperio system have any magic sauce beyond scanning and archiving? Any analysis or anything else?

How much does one of those pap screening robots cost? Or one of those deals that automatically scores Her2/neu?

I was born with two of them, but they aren't for sale. QQ