Slight confusion about secondary question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bme94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm almost ready to submit this secondary I have been working on. However, one of the questions asks, "Have you participated in significant research projects that have led to publication?" The question then goes on to ask for the DOI number. I am unsure of what to do because I am the author of an abstract that was published, but it most likely doesn't count as an actual publication, as there is no DOI number. Should I mention this abstract in the box or leave this blank?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Having some experience (abstract but no publication) still seems better than no experience. I'd note it (as an abstract), since that would be more likely to prompt them to look at your related experience then if you didn't. There are a lot of applications and a lot of experiences tied to each, so it's not hard to imagine they could miss something. If it doesn't reach their level of importance, at least they know about it.

Having some experience (abstract but no publication) still seems better than no experience. I'd note it (as an abstract), since that would be more likely to prompt them to look at your related experience then if you didn't. There are a lot of applications and a lot of experiences tied to each, so it's not hard to imagine they could miss something. If it doesn't reach their level of importance, at least they know about it.

Thank you! Is it necessary to cite it, as it is only an abstract?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think it would be necessary, but you are essentially your only advocate in this process. It's on you to highlight your qualifications, and if they are specifically asking about research I think it could be beneficial.

Realistic worst case if you cite it, they will just say "eh, not a real publication, guess they don't have anything, but they did do research...". (I don't think they'd say "Well BME94 can't follow directions exactly -- rejected!"). Best case, you bring attention to something they value.

I don't think it would be necessary, but you are essentially your only advocate in this process. It's on you to highlight your qualifications, and if they are specifically asking about research I think it could be beneficial.

Realistic worst case if you cite it, they will just say "eh, not a real publication, guess they don't have anything, but they did do research...". (I don't think they'd say "Well BME94 can't follow directions exactly -- rejected!"). Best case, you bring attention to something they value.

I'm asking because I honestly am unsure of how to cite it. It's not an actual publication or anything, so I'm pretty sure I don't have the info I need to properly cite it. Do you think just giving the title would suffice? I said something to the effect of, "I was involved in research that resulted in the publication of the abstract titled..." And haha, that would be one awful way to get rejected.

I'd do something like suggested here: http://aacrjournals.org/site/Meetings/how_cite_abstracts.xhtml

I'm assuming the abstract was a result of a semester (or more) of research, and it was submitted to an actual conference of some type. That said, I'm not entirely clear the point of abstracts, since one colleague added me to one, but we never actually completed the project. Definitely don't make something out of nothing, but if you can converse about the project and it just didn't proceed to publication at this point because of time limitations, another avenue became more attractive to the PI, etc I think it's fair to bring it up.

Answer = no
But you have looked in Pubmed to double check that it's not there, correct?

Hi,

I'm almost ready to submit this secondary I have been working on. However, one of the questions asks, "Have you participated in significant research projects that have led to publication?" The question then goes on to ask for the DOI number. I am unsure of what to do because I am the author of an abstract that was published, but it most likely doesn't count as an actual publication, as there is no DOI number. Should I mention this abstract in the box or leave this blank?

Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
I'd do something like suggested here: http://aacrjournals.org/site/Meetings/how_cite_abstracts.xhtml

I'm assuming the abstract was a result of a semester (or more) of research, and it was submitted to an actual conference of some type. That said, I'm not entirely clear the point of abstracts, since one colleague added me to one, but we never actually completed the project. Definitely don't make something out of nothing, but if you can converse about the project and it just didn't proceed to publication at this point because of time limitations, another avenue became more attractive to the PI, etc I think it's fair to bring it up.

I looked at that, but I don't have all of the information needed to make a complete citation. I worked on this project for a year, and could talk a lot about it.

Answer = no
But you have looked in Pubmed to double check that it's not there, correct?

Goro,

I did a quick search, and it's not there. Would it be all right to just give the title? I'm not trying to "make something out of nothing," but I did work on this for a year, and I could have a great discussion about it.

Don't give them what they're not asking for. There's surely another place in the app you can mention this.

Goro,

I did a quick search, and it's not there. Would it be all right to just give the title? I'm not trying to "make something out of nothing," but I did work on this for a year, and I could have a great discussion about it.

Reactions: 1 user