Slightly Intimidated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

redtiger07

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok...so I am from a small town, and I have recently made my decision to pursue a career in medicine. I am working hard, my grades are excellent, and I am double majoring as well as working 20hrs a week and I am involved in two clubs...
I know I have the capabilities to do this, but I am intimidated by other college programs, and I am also wondering about what to do over summer, to make me 'different'.
Any words of wisdom???
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, redtiger. First off, don't be intimidated by other college pre-med programs. Simply focus on doing your best in school & establishing relationships with profs & TA's for glowing recommendation letters. Sure, going to a well-renowned school can help, but a solid GPA from any school gets your foot in the door; couple that with a good MCAT performance you have a great shot at landing interviews.

As for making yourself "different," I simply recommend doing something you really enjoy or have always wanted to try, whether or not it's medically-related. I don't suggest doing anything unique for uniqueness' sake...have a reason for pursuing any activity because you're sure to be asked about why you did it, what you learned, & how can that experience might apply to the practice of medicine. That's what happened with me during interviews, anyway
smile.gif
. Most importantly, enjoy college life! It's over too quickly & never again will you have an opportunity quite like it!

Anyway, my 2-cents. Best wishes to you!

-Sarah

Status
Not open for further replies.