slightly panicking...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jccalalafc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just graduated in May and I'm having a difficult time getting in touch with a science teacher at my 4 year university, but I'm taking an extra science course at a community college in my gap year, and I was wondering if I can have my professor at the community college write one for me. I'm just concerned schools might look down on that I have a letter from a CC, not my 4 year university, and also worried with the fact that my school's pre-med committee won't accept a letter of rec from a teacher outside my school. Any thoughts or opinions? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

So I just graduated in May and I'm having a difficult time getting in touch with a science teacher at my 4 year university, but I'm taking an extra science course at a community college in my gap year, and I was wondering if I can have my professor at the community college write one for me. I'm just concerned schools might look down on that I have a letter from a CC, not my 4 year university, and also worried with the fact that my school's pre-med committee won't accept a letter of rec from a teacher outside my school. Any thoughts or opinions? Thanks.

Is your premed committee not doing a premed committee letter? If they are, why do you need an LOR from a science teacher? Sorry, I'm probably just not understanding your situation correctly.

well the best thing to do is contact the premed office and ask them.

for the professor call his dept and ask to be directly connected to him. usually at my school if i left a message w/ the dept. assistant the professor would get back to me pretty quickly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is your premed committee not doing a premed committee letter? If they are, why do you need an LOR from a science teacher? Sorry, I'm probably just not understanding your situation correctly.

Well my premed committee required me to get 5 letters of recommendation (at least 2 science, 1 non-science), write an autobiography, submit a CV, and fill out an application for an interview. If my stats were good enough they would interview me. If I interviewed well, THEN they would recommend me for DO schools.

So maybe his premed committee works similarly?

Well my premed committee required me to get 5 letters of recommendation (at least 2 science, 1 non-science), write an autobiography, submit a CV, and fill out an application for an interview. If my stats were good enough they would interview me. If I interviewed well, THEN they would recommend me for DO schools.

So maybe his premed committee works similarly?
wow that seems a little over the top! at times like these i am glad i went to a school without a dumb committee lol

I do not think schools care as much about where a letter writer teaches as they do about what they can learn about you from the letter writer. I attended two schools a very small community college and a four year university. I obtained letters from professors at both schools one of which was from a my cell bio professor at the community college who's class a I had to retake. I felt confidant her letter would be of value to admissions officers because she really got to know me and saw how I addressed weaknesses and how successful I can be. I have been treated very kindly this application cycle having been invited many interviews. My stats are average so i think the difference has been my LOR and my EC (which are good but not out of this world). So long story short ( too late I know) is get a letter from someone that can give admissions officers some quality insight about you CC or University does not matter! If you don’t have anyone like that take this opportunity at the CC with the small class sizes to make a good impression on your professor not just with grades but be active in class and help other students ect.. good luck with your App. I hope I helped..

Are you within driving distance of the school? If yes, then go see the prof.

If not, have you just emailed? If so, CALL the prof too.

If either doesn't work, make sure to contact the dep't chair, and mention that this prof is ignoring you. It's pretty unprofessional for him to do that to you.

And if that doesn't work, try another professor.

A LOR prof from a cc isn't a bad thing.