Panicking - Physician LOR fell through

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bme94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I made a separate post on this a little while back. Basically, I was concerned that one of the schools applied to (VCOM) wouldn't accept my physician letter of recommendation (which I am almost positive is great letter) from a doctor I did research with at a hospital. She is an MBBS. The reason I initially thought this was because the school said my physician letter was missing, even though my school is very much reliable with sending letters.

I made a phone call today, and they are refusing to accept her letter. I am devastated because I really wanted a shot at this school. The only solution I can think of is getting a last minute letter from a doctor I have scribed with - the thing is, I've only done 6 shifts with him. Although we get along great, and has said I'm a great scribe, I fear I would be asking too much of him.

Oddly enough, there has been a school that has accepted my letter.

I need some advice. Should I ask the other physician? Or just forget VCOM all together :(

Members don't see this ad.

Just try and ask. You really have nothing to lose at this point, especially if AACOMAS is still allowing separate letters to be sent to individual schools. Hope that VCOM isn't refusing this letter because they don't recognize that an MBBS is still a doctor. That is some serious level of ignorance if this is true.

Reactions: 1 user
I would go ahead and ask for the letter. It's worth a shot, because many DO schools require a physician letter so you are really shooting yourself in the foot if you don't get one. If you've worked six shifts with him and he's said your a great scribe then I can't imagine why he would deny your request.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just try and ask. You really have nothing to lose at this point, especially if AACOMAS is still allowing separate letters to be sent to individual schools. Hope that VCOM isn't refusing this letter because they don't recognize that an MBBS is still a doctor. That is some serious level of ignorance if this is true.

How do I find out if they're still accepting letters that way? And I tried to explain that it was the equivalent to the US MD, but sadly they told me I needed to get another letter, as it did not meet their qualifications :(

I would go ahead and ask for the letter. It's worth a shot, because many DO schools require a physician letter so you are really shooting yourself in the foot if you don't get one. If you've worked six shifts with him and he's said your a great scribe then I can't imagine why he would deny your request.

Yeah, I'll give it a try. I hate to ask anything of him, but I fear that I don't have a choice at this point. Should I tell him that it can be brief? I feel horrible about this. I worked with the other physician for nearly 2 years, and now I have to get a letter from someone that's only known me for a few months :(

Yeah, I'll give it a try. I hate to ask anything of him, but I fear that I don't have a choice at this point. Should I tell him that it can be brief? I feel horrible about this. I worked with the other physician for nearly 2 years, and now I have to get a letter from someone that's only known me for a few months :(

You want this letter to be strong and well written because that makes a big difference. Don't ask him to be brief. Don't tell him he's your second choice either.

Ask for the letter. Be honest as to why you need it on the fly.

If VCOM is too simple to recognize MBBS, I'd look elsewhere.

Reactions: 1 users
How do I find out if they're still accepting letters that way? And I tried to explain that it was the equivalent to the US MD, but sadly they told me I needed to get another letter, as it did not meet their qualifications :(

Asinine seeing as DOs fight to be recognized from the general public

MBBS is not equivalent to MD. Student in other countries graduate with MBBS degree in 5 and 1/2 years after high school and then you apply for MD. I'm guessing that's why they haven't accepted your letter.

Just ask; the worst he'll do is say no.

Hi,

I made a separate post on this a little while back. Basically, I was concerned that one of the schools applied to (VCOM) wouldn't accept my physician letter of recommendation (which I am almost positive is great letter) from a doctor I did research with at a hospital. She is an MBBS. The reason I initially thought this was because the school said my physician letter was missing, even though my school is very much reliable with sending letters.

I made a phone call today, and they are refusing to accept her letter. I am devastated because I really wanted a shot at this school. The only solution I can think of is getting a last minute letter from a doctor I have scribed with - the thing is, I've only done 6 shifts with him. Although we get along great, and has said I'm a great scribe, I fear I would be asking too much of him.

Oddly enough, there has been a school that has accepted my letter.

I need some advice. Should I ask the other physician? Or just forget VCOM all together :(

When I was applying I needed a DO letter because some schools wouldn't accept my MD letter. I ended up finding a random Dermatologist to write me one after one day of shadowing, but only if I brought donuts for his office.

Your 6 shifts with this doctor is a lot more than some of us had.

DOs know that The schools want a DO specific letter and in some places they're hard to come by so they are loose with writing generic letters. At least from the region I'm from.

I would just ask and I'm sure he will say yes

Update everyone: MUCOM is refusing to accept my letter also :(

I appreciate everyone's advice on here. I want to ask the other physician for the letter. Is 2 weeks enough time for someone to write it?
Or is there no point because the classes are filling up at this time? :(

Members don't see this ad :)
When I was applying I needed a DO letter because some schools wouldn't accept my MD letter. I ended up finding a random Dermatologist to write me one after one day of shadowing, but only if I brought donuts for his office.

Your 6 shifts with this doctor is a lot more than some of us had.

How long did you give the physician to write you a letter? Do you think 2 weeks is enough time?

DOs know that The schools want a DO specific letter and in some places they're hard to come by so they are loose with writing generic letters. At least from the region I'm from.

I would just ask and I'm sure he will say yes

Thanks for your advice. Is 2 weeks enough time for the physician to write the letter?

Just ask; the worst he'll do is say no.

Thanks Goro. I planned on giving the physician a couple of weeks to write the letter, but I fear by the time the letter is sent, the classes to these schools will be filled up. Do you still think it's worth it?

I was in the same position as you, OP. I actually got my letter by subscribing to Linkedin's free premium subscription for 30 days and sending out a bunch of messages to local DO's in my area. Worked like a charm!

Update: The other physician agreed to write the letter! :) Would it be best to upload the letter to the AACOMAS or to fax it to the schools? One school suggested faxing it.

Update: The other physician agreed to write the letter! :) Would it be best to upload the letter to the AACOMAS or to fax it to the schools? One school suggested faxing it.
Interfolio.

Send it to VCOM asap via interfolio, it'll cost you a few bucks extra. But uploading it on AACOMAS would take longer and is unpredictable. The extra $ is worth it since it's not early anymore in this cycle

Send it to VCOM asap via interfolio, it'll cost you a few bucks extra. But uploading it on AACOMAS would take longer and is unpredictable. The extra $ is worth it since it's not early anymore in this cycle

Would you mind briefly explaining what Interfolio is/how it works? I've never heard of it before.

Would you mind briefly explaining what Interfolio is/how it works? I've never heard of it before.
Interfolio is a paid service to electronically store and send LORs. The nice thing about Interfolio is they can deliver your LOR within a few hours if you want them sent to schools. Don't forget to attach your AACOMAS ID if you want to send LORs btw.

https://help.interfolio.com/hc/en-us/articles/204235006-How-do-I-collect-and-send-my-letters-
https://help.interfolio.com/hc/en-u...-letters-directly-to-an-individual-DO-school-

Reactions: 1 users
Interfolio is a paid service to electronically store and send LORs. The nice thing about Interfolio is they can deliver your LOR within a few hours if you want them sent to schools. Don't forget to attach your AACOMAS ID if you want to send LORs btw.

https://help.interfolio.com/hc/en-us/articles/204235006-How-do-I-collect-and-send-my-letters-
https://help.interfolio.com/hc/en-u...-letters-directly-to-an-individual-DO-school-

Thank you. I understand what I have to do, but what about the physician? He has to sign up as well, right?

Which VCOM campus was this?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

No they don't. Here's an explanation of what'd happen on their end if you choose to send the request by email. https://help.interfolio.com/hc/en-us/articles/205660748-Letter-Writer-s-Guide-to-Interfolio

They could also mail in the letter with a physical copy of the request form if you hand them one.

Thank you SO much for your help! I really appreciate it. Quick question - is this the correct title for VCOM? This is the only one that comes up under VCOM. Also, should I send it to the schools that didn't require the physician letter? (since I have a feeling this is a good letter).
VCOM Graduate Certificate Program (Formerly Post-Baccalaureate Program)"

Thank you SO much for your help! I really appreciate it. Quick question - is this the correct title for VCOM? This is the only one that comes up under VCOM. Also, should I send it to the schools that didn't require the physician letter? (since I have a feeling this is a good letter).
VCOM Graduate Certificate Program (Formerly Post-Baccalaureate Program)"
I'm not sure I didn't send VCOM LORs. When I typed VCOM "Edward Via Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine 2017-2018 VCOM Graduate Certificate Program (Formerly Post-Baccalaureate Program)" came up. You should call them to see if they received the letters when you get a delivery confirmation from Interfolio. Also, type in Auburn if you want to find the other two campuses.

As for physician letters, I sent them to every program I applied to since I didn't notice any that don't require one. I'd say if you think you have a good physician letter, you should definitely send it in.

Asking doesnt hurt!! I got a letter from a doc after shadowing him twice. I made it clear that I was only there to understand his specialty. And we got along well so I thought I'd ask.

Ask and yee shall receive