SLOE question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

res1cue

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, my google-fu isn't that strong... All I can find is the 2013-2014 application cycle SLOE form.

Is the 2014-2015 one out yet?

Also, for DO students out there, is there any point at all to getting a SLOE from an osteopathic program, if you are planning to apply ACGME only?

My school didn't give me any opportunities to rotate at allopathic programs during my third yr and so both of my EM rotations were done at a osteopathic program. I will be applying ACGME only though, and will be working on getting a real SLOE soon. Wondering if I should bother to get one from the ED that I rotated through, who I was on good terms with. I have heard mixed things regarding this.

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it would hurt to have a SLOE from an AOA EM program, but it may not really help either. It may only make it look like you will be applying to both AOA and ACGME, which is not the case from what you say here. However, if you think it will be a strong letter, you could always not get the SLOE and make it a "community" EM letter. Just a regular LOR. It would probably be more relevant than any other specialty LOR (Ob, family, IM, etc). I would get the letter if I were you, just in case you need it. I have heard ACGME PDs say that AOA SLOEs are useless to them because they have no idea about the program or how hard they grade rotators, but an LOR would be useful in addition to your future SLOEs.

Thanks for the information! That helps alot

Anybody know where the 2014 SLOE can be found?

Members don't see this ad :)
Besides EM, any specialties carry more weight? Trying to decide between a FM doc I rotated with and a cardiologist I worked with through EM club / outside events. I may end up using both if I can submit 4 letters.

Besides EM, any specialties carry more weight? Trying to decide between a FM doc I rotated with and a cardiologist I worked with through EM club / outside events. I may end up using both if I can submit 4 letters.

You can submit 4 letters. You can upload as many letters as you want, but you can only submit 4 of those letters to programs you apply to. You should definitely get both letters if that's an option and then figure out which one (or both) that you want to use later.

As for which would carry more weight, the answer is: whichever one is going to be a better letter. Pretty much every letter you get is going to be full of how smart you are / how hard you work / how much you know / etc, so the specialty isn't so important beyond getting great letters in EM as you have already alluded to.

EDIT: all of my advice is related to applying to ACGME residencies. I have absolutely no idea how many letters or what the process is even remotely like when it comes to AOA stuff.

Reactions: 1 user
You can submit 4 letters. You can upload as many letters as you want, but you can only submit 4 of those letters to programs you apply to. You should definitely get both letters if that's an option and then figure out which one (or both) that you want to use later.

As for which would carry more weight, the answer is: whichever one is going to be a better letter. Pretty much every letter you get is going to be full of how smart you are / how hard you work / how much you know / etc, so the specialty isn't so important beyond getting great letters in EM as you have already alluded to.

EDIT: all of my advice is related to applying to ACGME residencies. I have absolutely no idea how many letters or what the process is even remotely like when it comes to AOA stuff.

Its basically the same, except that the AOA programs put an unusual weight in having rotated with you, so you can use a different SLOE if youy have one from a place you are applying to (they know you already in AOA programs)