SLOR after 2 shifts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trkd

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone ask for a letter after only 2 shifts with someone. I know it is not ideal but I don't have much choice. I am only working 2 shifts with each attending. I tried to switch it up, but this is what I get. Any thoughts? :(

Members don't see this ad.

Plus I have heard on this forum that it is poor form to not have a letter from one of your electives (I think BKN said it so I am confident this is the case). That is why I am really not happy about this.

trkd said:
Plus I have heard on this forum that it is poor form to not have a letter from one of your electives (I think BKN said it so I am confident this is the case). That is why I am really not happy about this.

I am not an expert (MS4 also doing away rotations right now), but I would go meet with the PD early in the rotation and visit with them about your interest and let them know you hope to earn a good LOR. Towards the end of the rotation, schedule another meeting to give them feedback about your experiences and ask for the LOR. Even if you only worked a few shifts with them, I believe they will also ask the residents and other attendings to come up with an 'overall' LOR.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
EM_Rebuilder said:
I am not an expert (MS4 also doing away rotations right now), but I would go meet with the PD early in the rotation and visit with them about your interest and let them know you hope to earn a good LOR. Towards the end of the rotation, schedule another meeting to give them feedback about your experiences and ask for the LOR. Even if you only worked a few shifts with them, I believe they will also ask the residents and other attendings to come up with an 'overall' LOR.

Good luck.
I worked one with the PD and work another one monday night. She knows I am interested. At the end of the rotation, we automatically get a letter with a compilation of resident/attending comments. I just don't know if this is good enough for a LOR. I was hoping for a SLOR.

The only thing they give is SLORs, especially if they have residents. I don't think any program that knows you want to do EM would give you something other than what you need to get into an EM residency.

I did it during one of my electives way back in the day. Just worked about 2 - 3 shifts with this one attending. Honestly he probably didn't know too much about me, but I was in the same situation. It was in August and most of the big wigs were out on vacation, so it was just the regular faculty. Asked him for a letter, he said yes, and, well, matched in my #1. So, just do it! Its not like you have mcuh of a choice anyways.

Just make sure to phrase it "Do you feel comfortable writing me a STRONG letter of recommendation?" If they say yes, go for it! If they hesitate, say, "oh crap my pager went off, gotta run!"

Q

remember, they probably know why you are rotating with them and are likely expecting it.

Thanks for the advice peoples. I work my second and last shift with the PD on an overnight shift monday night. I will go in for the kill. I am not sure how the PD feels about me. It's a hard read but I'll see how it goes. Thanks. I'll update whether it sucked or not. Please keep the experiences coming though. I am hoping to hear it is not too uncommon so I don't feel like a total sucker doing this.

trkd said:
Anyone ask for a letter after only 2 shifts with someone. I know it is not ideal but I don't have much choice. I am only working 2 shifts with each attending. I tried to switch it up, but this is what I get. Any thoughts? :(

Back from Canadian Rockies. It was great.

TR, Honestly after ten workups (say two shifts) and an advising session, I usually know a lot about a students abilities and promise. Additional shifts don't add much. I suspect that most attendings would say the same.

BKN said:
Back from Canadian Rockies. It was great.

TR, Honestly after ten workups (say two shifts) and an advising session, I usually know a lot about a students abilities and promise. Additional shifts don't add much. I suspect that most attendings would say the same.
Welcome home BKN! Your advice is reassuring as always. I hope this PD thinks along the same lines as you. Otherwise, I will be sitting around trying to pass off this letter with a compilation of attendings/residents' comments as a LOR. BKN, on an aside, have you ever received one of these type LORs from an applicant? I am not sure which programs use such a letter.

DrQuinn said:
Just make sure to phrase it "Do you feel comfortable writing me a STRONG letter of recommendation?" If they say yes, go for it! If they hesitate, say, "oh crap my pager went off, gotta run!"

Q
Yeah, I've heard this. If they hesitate, I would rather not send in their letter with my app. I suppose it would probably be better to have a lack of a letter from a rotation than a crap one. But what do I know. :rolleyes:

trkd said:
Welcome home BKN! Your advice is reassuring as always. I hope this PD thinks along the same lines as you. Otherwise, I will be sitting around trying to pass off this letter with a compilation of attendings/residents' comments as a LOR. BKN, on an aside, have you ever received one of these type LORs from an applicant? I am not sure which programs use such a letter.

Sure, several programs send out a letter signed by each of the program directors and the rotation coodinator. When at least one of the education faculty adds a few comments, these can be stronger than a single opinion.

Can't remember which programs use this off hand.

BKN said:
Sure, several programs send out a letter signed by each of the program directors and the rotation coodinator. When at least one of the education faculty adds a few comments, these can be stronger than a single opinion.

Can't remember which programs use this off hand.

Duke does. We used the "traffic ticket" eval for daily evaluations, and the letter would be generated from them. Then the PD, Asst PD, and student rotation director would all sign it.

I don't know why, but, to me, it looked pretty impressive with all those signatures on it (not an SLOR, but, still).

What do you mean by "electives"? A rotation other than EM or something within EM? Sorry I just want to get all this stuff right and I am a little confused.

What do you mean by "electives"? A rotation other than EM or something within EM? Sorry I just want to get all this stuff right and I am a little confused.

sorry, 'round my way elective=rotation. I was talking about EM rotations.