SLU interview coming soon...please help!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ralhtar

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,
I'm very new to this site..but I was reading some of the posts while waiting to get activated..and the SDN network seems great...people here seem very helpful and so I figured I'd give it a shot..
I've an interview at SLU next week...this is my first interview so far and so I'm not only nervous but also desperate to do well on it...
I was wondering if any of you have had an interview there recently (specifically with the dean of admissions) and if you can give me any useful info that you think i should know before my interview...
thanx and keep up the good work..this site is awesome
cheers
ralhtar:)

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed there the end of January, and it was a very laid back experience. The interview group was huge, but they split you into two groups for the tour. Some people in my interview group had to wait a couple hours for their interviews in the afternoon so come prepared if you have an afternoon interview. I didn't interview with Dr. Willmore, but he talked to us for awhile and he seemed like a very nice guy. So I don't think you have anything to worry about. The post interview decision comes pretty quickly so that's also a plus (3 weeks). Anyways good luck, if you have any more specific questions let me know.

Here are some ideas why SLU is SLU. I revised this from an early post of mine. I've posted this in allopathic. If it's too redundant, let me know and I'll erase it. Thanks.

1. one of the 4 jesuit medical schools (especially if you went to a jesuit undergrad, you understand)
2. diverse class (many different religions, ethnicities though a little low on latino med students)
3. large african american population and the student run clinic (the HRC) that caters to a large population of aa's.
4. large bosnian and vietnamese population
5. the university hospital caters to the city of st. louis and its 24% poverty level (most large cities have poverty rates of about 12%)
6. growing latino population and La Clinica (the clinic in south st. louis for primarily latinos)
7. great match list (especially if not sure if you want specialties or primary care), it leaves options opens. Numerous people matched to ortho, a couple in optho, this year a few in urology, and others in radiology. Primary care people tend to match good places as well.
8. awesome rotations (good number of specialites at slu are in top 50 in nation), hepatology is one of nations best, same w/geriatrics
9. you can do electives in medicine (like shadow docs or do community projects) as early as your first year. Yes, so that can count as clinical experience.
10. the city is unique in itself, its one of the most segregated but integrated cities in the nation. research it.
11. its hybrid pbl and traditional lecture (like most schools), it evolves and improves with time. Administration seeks feedback with curriculum.
12. Well rounded great teachers. I had one Cardiology physican/professor dress up as superman on halloween, a pediatrics physican lecturing on toxicology actually rap on stage, and biochem professors who were features on unsolved mysteries and incorporate the show into their lectures. A pathology professor acts in plays.
13. Good opportunities for research in St. Louis if you wish with the school. If you choose to do outside rotations or electives/research, alot of schools remember having SLU students and are very excited to have a slu student even if you go to let's say UCLA etc or other west coast school.
14. Everyone raves of Wash U of St. Louis research prowness, but when it comes to clinicians, SLU is well regarded in StL. A good number of underserved and poor patients are frequently turned away from Wash U and sent to SLU's hospitals.
15. Finally, people sometimes complain about there school. The administration in my humble opinion has strived to make sure we are happy as students. They've addressed concerns about tuition, comfort level, stress, and board scores with us over the years when we bring them up. That's priceless. Look for that in all your schools you interview for. Good luck.

StL is a pretty major metropolitan area of 3.5 million people. Contrast that with the 2nd largest city in the nation of Chicago which covers a smaller area but same population. Nevertheless, Stl isnt shabby at all and not as ghetto as when I came. The crime rate is the lowest since 1962 as of this year.

p.s. The Dean plays golf so if you are an advid golfer, bring that up. He's a pretty cool guy but like most faculty, had did well in medical school and expects you to do the same. :)

hope that helps,
wyldstyle
class 2005
slu school of medicine

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank You so much...the information you guys have provided helps out a lot...!
Cheers
ralhtar:)

if anyone has anymore experiences or comments to share...I would love to know more...

Thank You those websites were wonderful...especially the one with the ethics discussions!

Good Luck rahltar!! We are all rooting for you! Just be yourself, don't be nervous, and knock 'em dead (not literally, of course, otherwise there would be no one available to write up the interview report!!) :laugh:

Here's to rahltar!! :clap:

Originally posted by AlreadyInDebt
Good Luck rahltar!! We are all rooting for you! Just be yourself, don't be nervous, and knock 'em dead (not literally, of course, otherwise there would be no one available to write up the interview report!!) :laugh:

Here's to rahltar!! :clap:

Thank YOu so much...I was so stressed out..but the clap did wonders.....thanx

ralhtar,

if your interview is with dr. willmore, just relax. his interviews are always low stress. i was a gerontology major in college and we spent a lot of time talking about that. there were no ethics questions.

my interview lasted about 40 minutes and focused upon my plans for the future. basically, it is my impression that he just wanted to get a feel for me as a person, and i how i might fit in at slu.

btw i'm a first year here at slu, and my interview with dr. willmore was in march of last year. and, no matter what, be honest.

if you have any questions, hit me up with an email or im (superduperkeith), i'd be glad to answer any questions you might have about the school, your application, or even mine.

keith

I interviewed with Dr. Willmore way back in ?sept? or so. While I agree that he was a nice guy and the interview was low stress... He was a LOT more familiar with the details of my app than in any other open file interview Ive been to. He asked pointed questions and didnt let me get away with any "practiced" answers. So, my suggestion is don't worry... but look over your application and if there are any ????s be ready to specifically address them. Also, when you are in his office for the interview check out the papers taped to the file cabinet just behind the open french doors. Pretty funny ?fake? applications there.

SLU seemed like a great school to me. Good luck.

I have an interview coming up at SLU on 3/29. I'm a little concerned that I'll be doomed to a waitlist spot no matter what. Does anyone know if they still give outright acceptances with such late interviews?

I have an interview on April 5 and I have the same question as an earlier post - does anyone know if SLU is still directly accepting people?

Also, has anyone interviewed with Dr. Cooper?

Thanks!

Mike

Sorry, I don't mean to get off the subject, but for the folks who have interviews coming up in the next several weeks (esp. size_tens and mikedc), when did you get an interview invitation? I am just trying to gauge if they are still sending invitations (I would still really like to get one), or if yours have been scheduled for quite awhile.

Thanks for the help and good luck on your interviews!

I found out about my interview by snail mail about 4 weeks ago, maybe a little less. I dont know if they're still inviting people to interview though, but good luck!