Small Animal Internal Medicine Residency

Started by Thelemic
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Thelemic

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey, all!

I'm not at the point of applying for internships or residencies (I still have a couple years of vet school to go), but tis the season and recently, I've been considering the idea of a pursuing Small Animal I Med residency. I know it's a fairly competitive residency, though maybe not quite as bad as surgery, cardiology or zoo/wildlife (is this correct?). What I'm wondering is if anyone out there is on the front lines and pursuing a Small Animal I Med residency. Are matches looking primarily at GPA and internships to determine competitiveness? Is there more I should be doing if I decide I want to pursue this path? Are the SA I Med career opportunities post-residency still abysmal?
 
http://www.virmp.org/Content/Match2015Summary.pdf match stats for 2015 for SAIM residencies (and others)
GPA/class rank, where you did your intenrship, research, what your LORs have to say about you, and whether or not you get along with people seems to be the general thing people are looking at, with that last bit being pretty darn important.

i have heard SAIM is a saturated field, but i dont know whether or not jobs are hard to come by. i'd start talking to internists to find out what their thoughts are.
 
I'm also not in the process of applying to internship or residencies yet, but I'm also interested in SA I-Med. Is it true that you have to be in the top 10% of your class to be considered? Or is it possible to do with a relatively good GPA and good LORs?
 
I'm also not in the process of applying to internship or residencies yet, but I'm also interested in SA I-Med. Is it true that you have to be in the top 10% of your class to be considered? Or is it possible to do with a relatively good GPA and good LORs?
definitely not true (though probably closer to true at some of the top programs). you can definitely match to good programs with a good GPA, and more importantly, good LORs. programs want to know that you're smart, but they want to know that they will get along with you and that you are worth their time and efforts