Smaller to medium dog breeds

Started by Abilene85
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Abilene85

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been toying with the idea of adopting an adult dog. I live in a fairly large one bedroom apartment. Most breeds I really like (Rotty, Pits, German Shepherds) are "illegal" here, and some of the others (Great Dane) are just too ridiculous to even consider having in an apartment. I have plenty of grassy areas for play around my apartment, and my parents (plus our 7.5 acres) live just 10 minutes away. They are also willing to help me out during particularly demanding clinical rotations, such as surgery.

I'm looking at medium sized to smaller dogs, but I have only had live-in experience with Bouviers, a Rottweiler, and a Great Dane/Boxer, so I really don't know much about smaller dog breed personalities. I can tell you that I am not interested in little fru-fru kind of dogs, with tons of fluffy hair that needs grooming (and tends to end up with a pink bow tied somewhere). I like low-maintenance grooming, tend to like shorter haired dogs, and I'm well used to shedding. I am also not particularly active, so I would like a dog who enjoys hanging out on his doggie bed and cuddling while watching TV/studying. But also, one who would be perfectly happy to join me on a longer than the normal daily walk whenever the mood strikes. He or she also needs to be independent enough to be comfortable when left home alone during the day.

I've always thought Jack Russells were cute, but they seem to have too much energy for my lifestyle, even into much older age. Petfinder has a lot of beagles in my area, and descriptions seem to suggest they fit the kind of dog I'm looking for.

Anybody have suggestions? Thanks.
 
what about going to shelters and getting a feel for what kind of mixed-breed you like?

Beagles can be really time-consuming... pretty demanding, sort of neurotic. But pretty cute too.
 
Beagles are pretty well-rounded, but the ones I've met have been quite vocal. Just a consideration for apartment life. Also can be difficult to leave home alone a lot. Otherwise, very happy, friendly dogs.

I think a corgi would do well in your situation. Of course I'm biased. 🙂 They're active, but nothing that would be difficult to manage in apartment life. You couldn't say, ride your bike and have a corgi run along with you - those stumpy legs couldn't handle that. But walking is fine, and I've never had issues walking mine except for in the dead heat of summer. They have medium length hair, but it's not too thick or wooly. You say that you're okay with shedding - good. They shed quite a bit. Regular brushing helps that, but no other maintenance is really needed. We get Chloe's rump trimmed every few moths to make sure she doesn't get any, uh, dingleberries stuck in her fur. LOL. Also, I think the corgi personality is great. Spunky, happy, playful, loyal, and calm when you are. Her negative points are few, but let's see... she barks at the doorbell, even when it's on TV (can be quite startling!)... she LOVES food and will go through far means to get it (her height keeps her off the counters, thank goodness! if anything is dropped, however, it's gone.)... and she eats snotty tissues, lol. Any dog could do these things though. All in all she's great for being gone part of the day, she likes exercise but won't go crazy if she misses a day, and she makes a great companion.

I'm sure there are lots of other great dogs out there, including mutts! Maybe get a corgi/beagle mix? Those are common. Lol.

Good luck picking - it's hard!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Corgis are really adorable! I forgot about them. Beagle just sticks in my head because there are so many on petfinder and have been described as loungy types. I don't know why there are so many up for adoption - maybe Toledo has an active beagle rescue group.

Right now I'm just trying to learn a bit about the different pure-bred breeds. I'm not ready to commit quite yet. When the time comes, I will look online and see which breeds and mixes are out there and probably stop by a shelter (although I am terrified that if I do go to a shelter I will feel the need to adopt all the dogs).

One of the reasons I want to adopt an adult is to skip the whole house-training phase. Petfinder lists dogs and whether they are completely house-trained, in training, or no mention (which I interpret as not trained). Do places like the Humane Society do the same?
 
I've been toying with the idea of adopting an adult dog. I live in a fairly large one bedroom apartment. Most breeds I really like (Rotty, Pits, German Shepherds) are "illegal" here, and some of the others (Great Dane) are just too ridiculous to even consider having in an apartment. I have plenty of grassy areas for play around my apartment, and my parents (plus our 7.5 acres) live just 10 minutes away. They are also willing to help me out during particularly demanding clinical rotations, such as surgery.

I’m looking at medium sized to smaller dogs, but I have only had live-in experience with Bouviers, a Rottweiler, and a Great Dane/Boxer, so I really don’t know much about smaller dog breed personalities. I can tell you that I am not interested in little fru-fru kind of dogs, with tons of fluffy hair that needs grooming (and tends to end up with a pink bow tied somewhere). I like low-maintenance grooming, tend to like shorter haired dogs, and I’m well used to shedding. I am also not particularly active, so I would like a dog who enjoys hanging out on his doggie bed and cuddling while watching TV/studying. But also, one who would be perfectly happy to join me on a longer than the normal daily walk whenever the mood strikes. He or she also needs to be independent enough to be comfortable when left home alone during the day.

I’ve always thought Jack Russells were cute, but they seem to have too much energy for my lifestyle, even into much older age. Petfinder has a lot of beagles in my area, and descriptions seem to suggest they fit the kind of dog I’m looking for.

Anybody have suggestions? Thanks.

Well, from experience I can definitely give you some advice. I'm a small dog only owner, though I love the big dogs too.

As far as frou frou goes, some of the dogs you think of as frou frou are really only that way because of the owners. We shaved my Shih tzu and kept her bangs trimmed and didn't do a whole lot else with her. My Papillon, however, I bathe weekly, groom at least twice a day, and have clothes for (I know, the shame!). Papillons, though, are commonly called "wash and wear" dogs because of how easy they are to clean, so really it is just me making her so frou frou. As far as those two go, though, Papillons shed and are fairly high energy (I let mine run around the yard and she has a lot of toys, because I am not high energy either). Shih tzus are pretty relaxed, but neither breed liked being alone.

Beagles, well, I'm probably not the best to ask about beagles since I very much dislike most hound types. The beagles I've seen, though, have been either very active or obese, though, so that may be a consideration to look at.

If you can stand the breathing noises, pugs would be a good fit. They are definitely low maintenance couch potatoes and seem to be pretty good at sleeping when the people are gone. They are definitely happy to see the people come home though.

Also, Cavalier King Charles Spaniels are one of my favorites. They do have medium length hair, but I think that if you brush them occasionally (like, say, when they decide to run in the big patch of burrs) they really don't require a whole lot of grooming. They have fabulously laid back personalities, too.

A really good site to look at is glowdog.com/bestdog
It has a matching quiz that will give you a big list of dogs fitted with you by percentages. It also gives you a break down of percentages so that you can see how well that dog matches what is important to you.

Anyway, hope that helped. I know I tend to like making dogs a bit frou frou (I was the Barbie and dress up kiddo when I was little), so some of my experience is a list of what dogs would NOT be good for you. Good luck!
 
P.S.
I went to the website I gave you (glowdog.com/bestdog) and took the test based on the requirements you gave. Granted I certainly don't know all of your preferences, so this is probably somewhat off, but the top six dogs it gave you in the results are:

Papillon-- 90% match
Boston Terrier-- 88%
Pug-- 88%
Beagle--88%
Clumber Spaniel-- 88%
Cavalier King Charles Spaniel-- 88%

There is a whole bunch of info on each dog, but there is no room for that here, so you can go and take the test for real if you'd like.
 
I would put out there that I know a lot of sites list cavalier king charles as not being good at home by themselves, but I disagree. Also, just throwing this out there, cocker spaniels are pretty laid back, mine is used to being home by herself from 8-5, and yes, she does need to get groomed, but we just do it every 6 weeks, and that's it. Nothing too frou-frou, I don't think. They have a lot of the same negs that others mentioned -- barking at noises in the hall, etc. But I would be hard put to find a small dog that didn't do these things (and off the top of my head, can't think of any).


Just thought I'd put a work in for my favorite small-med breed! 😀
 
I would check rescue groups/shelters first. They usually will have dogs that are mixed breeds that would definitely fit your needs, especially if you are looking for an adult dog.

That being said, if you are looking for a purebred dog you could also consider a miniature pinscher, a whippet or a dachshund.
 
I would add that you should definitely not pay dor the dog (beyond shots and adoption fees, of course). That's one of my pet peeves - people going out and paying $400 for a dog when there are thousands at local shelters in the area dying for a home, literally.

Of course purebred dogs are wonderful and all of the breeds are so different and special that I would hate to see them suffer. I'm definitely a dog show *****, and I love the prestige and glamour involved. However, I won't be showing or breeding any of my dogs, so getting a pure bred animal is not and will not be an issue. I *do* have a corgi, and she would be registered if the previous owners had bothered, but she was free. If you want a specific breed without the price, there are many breed-specific rescue agencies in place. I know of Lab, Bichon, and Spaniel rescue agencies in Tulsa alone, so I'm sure there are many more out there.

Just my opinions on the matter! I should go take that test now and see if corgi places on my list, lol. If it doesn't, I don't trust the test! 😉

Edit: Results = GOLDEN RETRIEVER! 95%! YECK! No offense to anyone who loves their GRETs. Haha.
 
I would add that you should definitely not pay dor the dog (beyond shots and adoption fees, of course). That's one of my pet peeves - people going out and paying $400 for a dog when there are thousands at local shelters in the area dying for a home, literally.

Of course purebred dogs are wonderful and all of the breeds are so different and special that I would hate to see them suffer. I'm definitely a dog show *****, and I love the prestige and glamour involved. However, I won't be showing or breeding any of my dogs, so getting a pure bred animal is not and will not be an issue. I *do* have a corgi, and she would be registered if the previous owners had bothered, but she was free. If you want a specific breed without the price, there are many breed-specific rescue agencies in place. I know of Lab, Bichon, and Spaniel rescue agencies in Tulsa alone, so I'm sure there are many more out there.

Just my opinions on the matter! I should go take that test now and see if corgi places on my list, lol. If it doesn't, I don't trust the test! 😉

Edit: Results = GOLDEN RETRIEVER! 95%! YECK! No offense to anyone who loves their GRETs. Haha.

👍

I'm definitely with you on not paying ridiculous amounts for a purebred if you aren't going to show it. My Shih tzu was a pound dog (I think the fee was about $40 then, for the shots and spay...now it is $60 and the dogs are microchipped). My Papillon was brought in as a rescue from an abusive home by one of our vet techs. So I payed for her shots, spay, and microchip out of pocket (with my discount).


I love that the test gave you a golden! Haha. I've never once had a golden anywhere near the top of my list, but they are popular dogs, and they definitely have some traits similar to corgis. I mean, they're both super happy, super eager to please, and smart. Goldens are just so dang popular, and I can't take the drooling of large breeds.

Where was corgi on the list?
 
It was in with a large group at 69%. I have a hunch that my "watchdog" answer made it so low. Chloe definitely lets us know if she hears something, so I guess it's true, but she's not too crazy with it (and we live in a quiet neighborhood). I guess it could be an issue in apartments. But, I also think we could scold her and eliminate a lot of the behavior if it were an issue for us. Anyway, I think I said it wasn't important, or I thought I did... maybe I said it wasn't desireable. Eh.

I know she's a match for us! I think the list is good fora basis about traits like agression, exercise, patience with children, etc. but each individual dog is so different that I wouldn't limit myself with the list anyway. Good for ideas, bad for final decisions.

By the way, I've yet to meet a smart Golden Retriever. LOL. They all seem pretty dopey. I haven't met that many I guess. I'm thinking of one in particular. No common sense, that dog. 🙂
 
It was in with a large group at 69%. I have a hunch that my "watchdog" answer made it so low. Chloe definitely lets us know if she hears something, so I guess it's true, but she's not too crazy with it (and we live in a quiet neighborhood). I guess it could be an issue in apartments. But, I also think we could scold her and eliminate a lot of the behavior if it were an issue for us. Anyway, I think I said it wasn't important, or I thought I did... maybe I said it wasn't desireable. Eh.

I know she's a match for us! I think the list is good fora basis about traits like agression, exercise, patience with children, etc. but each individual dog is so different that I wouldn't limit myself with the list anyway. Good for ideas, bad for final decisions.

By the way, I've yet to meet a smart Golden Retriever. LOL. They all seem pretty dopey. I haven't met that many I guess. I'm thinking of one in particular. No common sense, that dog. 🙂

Dopey? Heck yes! Goldens are big dopes. But compared to the other big dopes, Goldens are pretty smart (I'm thinking compared to say, a boxer...sigh, boxers, so dumb, but so HAPPY). Haha.

Oh yeah, I definitely wouldn't use that site for a final decision at all, but it is great in this situation because it will generate a ranked list of smaller dogs with certain tendencies and it gives a fair ranking of each dog.

It doesn't list Papillons first on my list either because they are "alarm barkers" and I don't like barking (specifically yapping and baying...both just kill my ears when they are so constant). Training, though, can take care of a lot of different traits, and I am actually considering getting another Pap through a rescue group in the more distant future. I LOVE them.
 
Just tossing out the Terrier card - I have a Cairn/Westie mix and wouldn't trade him for ANYTHING! My mom has a purebred Cairn.

They don't really shed very much, just require brushing/stripping if you like that look, and are really really social/loveable. They DO bark a lot, they require more exercise when they are younger. My 7 year old is a MASSIVE couch potato. He loves to play when I come home, but working 10 hour shifts... he's fine in his crate with a walk and a 30 min play session for more napping. It's awesome!

I would love for him to be quieter, more friendly with other dogs, and have required less obedience training... but my pup is super alpha, where my mom's is very chill.

I want a corgi next!

Don't forget Dachshunds and Bassets! 🙂
 
on the terrier thread, I have been fostering/pet sitting some fox terriers and they are terrific! very cuddly, smart, playful, and low maintenance... kind of like a big dog in a small package. but I would definitely advocate going to the shelter or local rescue resources. These guys are very sporty and fun but not very vocal and the three I know well are very happy to be home alone for periods as long as they get out daily.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well, hmm...how to put this. I have terriers. I love terriers. But they call them terrierists for a good reason. They are pretty intense as a rule, highly intelligent, and want to find trouble if they are bored or underexercised. They dig, they bark,and they are tenacious. I think it takes a particular type of person to love a terrier. I am not sure a vet student, particularly in first year, can meet the needs of a terrier unless you're used to them.

I love huskies, but wouldn't recommend one because they need to be around people and are fairly miserable being left alone all day. However, you can get enough hair to knit sweaters for everyone you know.

When I read the desciption of what you are looking for, two breeds came to mind. Golden Retrievers are smart, but mellow. The best dog I ever had in my lifetime was a golden. They are calm enough, in general, to live in an apartment, so long as they are given a daily walk. No drooling that I recall. Of course, they are prone to cancer, but then you like rotties and boxers, so par for the course.

The other breed that comes to mind is a greyhound. If properly exercised, they are actually pretty mellow, too.
 
Thanks for the responses everybody!

I took that dog quiz. First, with the home I hope to have in the future (so plenty of space for them to run around in a big yard) and the qualities in my ideal dog. My top 5 were:
1) Bullmastiff
2) Bernese Mountain Dog
3) Bouvier
4) Bloodhound
5) Labrador Retriever

Then I took it with the small size being my only "extremely important" characteristic, compromising a bit on what I want for what I think would work well with an apartment dog, and I had to scroll to about #25 for the first smaller dog to even show up! I think the results are skewed because, being a single, young female living alone, I would like my dog to have some kind of protection ability. It seems like that's hard to find in a smaller dog. I certainly won't be able to match the protection my Rottie provides.

I'm a little worried that since I'm such a big-dog person, I won't mesh well with a little dog. I think it's hilarious when my half Dane tries to sit in my lap, but it seems awkward when a little dog jumps up. I get that they're still dogs, but they're just so small. I'm used to pets that are my size! I really fell in love with the Rottweiler personality. Mine is very loyal. He'll listen to you but he's also independent enough to sometimes just do what he wants (I like that in a dog). He doesn't really get into trouble though. He loves stealing shoes and taking them to his bed, but he never chews on them. He just hangs onto them until we catch him and then he gives the :meanie: face to us. But you know, once I commit to a smaller guy, I'm sure he'll become my "baby" and I'll wonder why I ever questioned the smaller breeds.

I'm certainly not planning on buying a dog from a breeder. My family has traditionally done this, but we've definitely been all about adoption lately. We actually went to a breeder for our mutt (Dane/Boxer), paid for him, and then paid several thousand dollars for the knee surgeries he needed later. You vets are amazing, though. His life was all about running (I think he was a horse in another life). At different times, he tore the cruciate ligament in both knees, had them both repaired, and now at age 11 he still runs like the wind.

I get the feeling my best bet is to just check out what's available when the time comes. Breeds do tend to have a baseline personality, but each dog is truly an individual. I would like to interact with the dog and feel a connection, which makes the Humane Society sound good. But petfinder is nice because the dogs are often in foster homes and you can find out exactly how much they do bark at the doorbell, etc. Does anyone have experience adopting from a shelter? Is there any way to tell how the dog will act in a home/if they are house-trained by looking at a shelter?
 
Yeah, small dogs are definitely not going to be high on the list for protection. It's too easy for an intruder to just kick them away.

There are a fair number of alarm barkers, though. So they couldn't protect you as such, but they could warn you.

Rotties are really awesome dogs. My grandmother had one when my sister and I were very young who thought we were her puppies. Very sweet dog. Not so smart, but definitely sweet. 🙂

My Papillon does the shoe stealing thing too! And she's so small that she makes TONS of noise trying to sneakily steal the really heavy shoes, but she has the most angelic look when you catch her. She also gets the neighbor dogs in trouble. She knows SHE isn't allowed to bark at other dogs, so she goes outside and parades in front of holes in the fence to get the OTHER dogs to bark. Then when you go out to discipline her, SHE isn't barking, so she looks at you like "What? It isn't ME." 😀


I adopted my Shih tzu from the shelter and the ladies at the shelter were very helpful. They let us take her out and play with her for a little while, and we could definitely tell she was well behaved when she hopped into the car. I think it really depends on the particular shelter you go to and who is working at the time. I'd definitely visit the shelter a few times BEFORE you're ready to get the dog, so you know the workers and if they are willing to work with you or give you a trial period or something. I don't know if that is feasible for you, but it's a thought.
 
Im going to add to what Steel said that frou frou dogs are definitely a lot about the owner. I told myself I would never get a "small white dog". Most of the ones who came into the vet office I worked at had their bows and we're spoiled and what not. Then I had the opportunity to adopt one from the vet office and decided to do it. The breed was a Havanese and after nearly a year my wife and I cant imagine life without her. Shes only 9 lbs but is full of pride and personality. She follows my wife around the house wherever she goes and is always playing with my mini schnau. We keep her puppy cut so brushing isnt a big deal but she gets her baths regularly.

As for advice on a breed that might suit you I will say Miniature Schnauzer. I had always been a Golden Retriever owner until I met my wife who already had the Schnau. He has been my best companion. He does bark like many other terriers but also is the most laid back dog! He always curls up next to me to sleep and is just an overall great companion.
 
Rotties are really awesome dogs. My grandmother had one when my sister and I were very young who thought we were her puppies. Very sweet dog. Not so smart, but definitely sweet. 🙂

Really? You think? My family always talks about how smart our Rottie seems to be, and between us all we've had a lot of dogs. You look at him and can just see the gears turning in his head. I was surprised by how good he is at communicating. A lot of dogs seem to have one excited behavior for play, hunger, potty, etc., and you have to figure out what they need. He is very specific when "talking" to you, and he'll tell you exactly what's on his mind. In recent years, he has started actually talking to us, too. It's so cute. If we're not paying enough attention to him, on the computer or something, he will sit about 6 feet away and start making little "wowa wowa" sounds. Not a whine, not a bark...it's like he's trying to actually form words. Jeez...I could go on forever about my dogs. 🙂

As for advice on a breed that might suit you I will say Miniature Schnauzer. I had always been a Golden Retriever owner until I met my wife who already had the Schnau. He has been my best companion. He does bark like many other terriers but also is the most laid back dog! He always curls up next to me to sleep and is just an overall great companion.

I was actually looking at some of those online. I also found this girl: http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=6126353. I think she's really cute. I read up a bit on Schipperkes (hadn't heard of them), and they seem pretty cool. Apparently they're good for apartments because they're so active indoors. Does anyone have experience with the breed?
 
Really? You think? My family always talks about how smart our Rottie seems to be, and between us all we've had a lot of dogs. You look at him and can just see the gears turning in his head. I was surprised by how good he is at communicating. A lot of dogs seem to have one excited behavior for play, hunger, potty, etc., and you have to figure out what they need. He is very specific when "talking" to you, and he'll tell you exactly what's on his mind. In recent years, he has started actually talking to us, too. It's so cute. If we're not paying enough attention to him, on the computer or something, he will sit about 6 feet away and start making little "wowa wowa" sounds. Not a whine, not a bark...it's like he's trying to actually form words. Jeez...I could go on forever about my dogs. 🙂

Haha, I think we could ALL go on forever about our dogs.

Your Rottie sounds ADORABLE. 🙂 Annie was not so smart though. Man, you have no idea how many times she went after skunks trying to play with them. Got sprayed every dang time. She was definitely not the smartest. I think it could definitely have just been her though, haha.

She was definitely sweet though. And good for protection. My sister and I once ended up playing in a cattle pasture when the bull was out, and Annie was about ready to kill that bull if he came an inch closer to us. Luckily, my grandmother pulled us out, so neither the bull nor Annie had any injuries, but she would have definitely laid down her life for us.

Just keep her away from skunks. Haha.
 
Another medium sized breed you might want to consider is a Brittany. They do need a decent amount of exercise though.
 
Does anyone have experience adopting from a shelter? Is there any way to tell how the dog will act in a home/if they are house-trained by looking at a shelter?

Depending on where you live there may be more than one shelter in the area. I have two different shelter experiences. I volunteered at a rural shelter and found that the people there were very good at helping to match people with suitable pets. However, when my husband and I were looking for a dog, we ended up going to 3 different shelters before we found our perfect dog. The first city shelter was extremely unhelpful. There was no information posted on the cage and the people basically ignored us. We then went to another local shelter and the people were semi-helpful. Finally, we went to a very busy shelter where we were actually helped and found our perfect match😍.

My point with this long story is to not give up on shelters/petfinder if the first place you go to isn't helpful. Also, shelters are always getting in dogs, so if you don't find your doggy match the first time you go keep trying. Good luck, I'm sure your doggy soulmate with find you:luck:
 
Hi there,

Just to throw something else out there, (I know you already have a lot of options!). I have a Finnish Spitz/Australian Shepherd mix that I got from the pound, and she is fabulous. Smart, fun, loyal, and a good guard dog when she needs to be. She loves to play, but also likes her downtime. (She did NOT like downtime as a puppy, but since she reached the age of about 3 or 4, she's calmed down quite a bit.)

Also, I heard of a breed the other day that caught my eye. It's called a Klee Kai, it looks and acts, like a mini husky supposively. I think the breed is pretty rare though.

Anyway, just some suggestions. As mentioned above about the corgi, I'm a huge fan of Corgi's. They are great little companions.

Good luck!
 
Schipperkes (hadn't heard of them), and they seem pretty cool. Apparently they're good for apartments because they're so active indoors. Does anyone have experience with the breed?

I have known a few schipperkes and found them to be really intelligent and trainable. They might be too hyperactive though, if I were you I would look into a brussels griffon or a french bulldog.

P.S. Actually if I were you I would still get a great dane because they are the king of the couch potato's and you can always let them run around at your parents and take them for walks. I don't think small apartment automatically=small dog.
 
Clearly no one has met a well bred performance Golden. I know tons of them with UDXs and OTCHs...you don't exactly get that by being dumb.

Personally, I've had negative experiences with tons of breeds, mostly at vet clinics, when people get a poorly bred dog from a BYB, don't bother to train it, let it get fat, and then make me deal with it. Based only on that experience, my observation would be that Labs, Goldens, Beagles, Cockers, Boxers, and pretty much any breed you can name are all stupid and annoying. They aren't, I just saw poorly breed and untrained specimens.

(And drooling? Large breeds don't drool; dogs with giant flews--St. Bernard, Mastiff, etc--drool. I hate drooling and it's never been a problem with my dogs.)
 
Last edited:
I've been toying with the idea of adopting an adult dog. I live in a fairly large one bedroom apartment. Most breeds I really like (Rotty, Pits, German Shepherds) are "illegal" here

breed specific legislation makes me sick 😡

don't know if anyone suggested it, but what about an older lab? i like the golden suggestion too, but you said you didn't want a lot of hair.
 
I don't know if you've found what your looking for yet...but 3 of my fav "smaller" breeds are: Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, Fox Terriers, and Japenese Chins! 😀
 
Haha, slight brain fart. I meant Rat Terrier, not fox terrier!
 
Dachshunds are my favorite dogs. They're loyal. They lounge around. They love you! They are funny, adorable, not to mention dressable. Some are slightly slow and the back problems are kind of a drag... 🙁

I guess now people think back problems are a genetic thing, but I'm not sure. I have a 22 Ib (Standard?) sized dachshund. My vet had a 12 pound dachshund, and when my Mom was young she had three that were all 30-35+ Ibs. Giant dachshunds.

My Dad's family are Doberman people! :laugh: I'm not a fan of them. Inbred.

I like the Australian Shepherds... They're relaxed!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Dachshunds are my favorite dogs. They're loyal. They lounge around. They love you! They are funny, adorable, not to mention dressable. Some are slightly slow and the back problems are kind of a drag... 🙁

I guess now people think back problems are a genetic thing, but I'm not sure. I have a 22 Ib (Standard?) sized dachshund. My vet had a 12 pound dachshund, and when my Mom was young she had three that were all 30-35+ Ibs. Giant dachshunds.

My Dad's family are Doberman people! :laugh: I'm not a fan of them. Inbred.

I like the Australian Shepherds... They're relaxed!
Oh man, the first time I saw a standard dachshund, I totally did a double take. They are really big. And I never knew that the little ones you always see weren't the standard size. Haha.
I'm not a fan of dachshunds, because they are really aggressive if not well trained. 2/3 of the bites from dogs in our vet's office comes from dachshunds. I have a sneaking suspicion that some of this is because they are popular with little old ladies. Old lady dogs are usually the meanest little buggers.

The ones that are sweet, though, really are awesome dogs.
 
The OP mentioned jack russells so I thought I'd add my 2 cents. The "American" or Parson's Jack russell aka the one's with long legs, are known for being hyper, I've never owned one but this has been my experience.

I own two Irish/English jacks, aka the ones with short legs. I would say that they are excellent apartment dogs. Mine weigh 12 and 15 pounds so they are very portable. Both play when you initiate and chill with you otherwise.

I'm not sure how they are with being alone, because mine have always had a friend. Our first one had our chocolate lab and the second had her brother and the lab, they all love each other. If it was an option, you could get a pair.

They are reallllly easy to train/take care of, just make sure you socialize them early like any puppy.


andddd they are soooo cute!

photo
photo
banditbaby.jpg


😍
 
Oh man, the first time I saw a standard dachshund, I totally did a double take. They are really big. And I never knew that the little ones you always see weren't the standard size. Haha.
I'm not a fan of dachshunds, because they are really aggressive if not well trained. 2/3 of the bites from dogs in our vet's office comes from dachshunds. I have a sneaking suspicion that some of this is because they are popular with little old ladies. Old lady dogs are usually the meanest little buggers.

The ones that are sweet, though, really are awesome dogs.

I have to reiterate what has already been said... 9 times out of 10 it's all about the breeding and the owner. I've worked as a tech. for almost 4 years now and I swore to myself I hated all small breeds, but ESP. dachshunds. Then I wound up getting one, go figure. Anyway, he is seriously the best choice I could have ever made for apartment living. He's a miniature, so our two bedroom apt. is a playground for him.

I saw you were interested in protection also. He barks at the door sometimes during the day but ALWAYS at night. It just has to do with how you train them and what you allow them to do, what you reward them for. I do have to agree though, they are a little stubborn... but it makes training all the more rewarding!
 
I have to reiterate what has already been said... 9 times out of 10 it's all about the breeding and the owner. I've worked as a tech. for almost 4 years now and I swore to myself I hated all small breeds, but ESP. dachshunds. Then I wound up getting one, go figure. Anyway, he is seriously the best choice I could have ever made for apartment living. He's a miniature, so our two bedroom apt. is a playground for him.

I saw you were interested in protection also. He barks at the door sometimes during the day but ALWAYS at night. It just has to do with how you train them and what you allow them to do, what you reward them for. I do have to agree though, they are a little stubborn... but it makes training all the more rewarding!
Yeah, that's what I meant about most of them belonging to old ladies. They just don't get the training. That, and a lot of people think it is cute when they growl and get territorial about their toys and their beds, so the behavior is trained in as a good thing. Like any dog, temperment definitely depends on training, but naturally territorial, overly protective, or stubborn dogs really need the most in training. Not that I have any doubts that anyone on this forum would be a great trainer and have well behaved dogs.
 
breed specific legislation makes me sick 😡

Me too. And our county dog warden is trying to be the King of BSL. Jerk.



Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. This forum is a lot more positive than the med school forums - I didn't get a single "you must be an idiot to think about owning a dog in med school - get a fishtank."
I'll be spending the summer doing research in another city, where I will be subletting an apartment, so I'm going to hold off until the fall to get a dog. Of course I will keep checking petfinder to see who is out there, and if the right dog comes along I will go for it. If I don't see anyone super special (because they're all special) before then, I will actively pursue some on petfinder and check out what is available in the shelters.

I'll try to remember to come back here in a few months and post a pic for you. 🙂
 
I would have to vote for BOSTONS! They have energy and love to play but love to cuddle and nap just as much. Not too much shedding...no grooming...love people. Mine doesn't bark. 🙂 So...I'm a little partial!
 
my family has had 3 bostons...they're nowhere near the smartest dogs in the world, but they definitely have a funny personality!
 
Yeah, that's what I meant about most of them belonging to old ladies. They just don't get the training. That, and a lot of people think it is cute when they growl and get territorial about their toys and their beds, so the behavior is trained in as a good thing. Like any dog, temperment definitely depends on training, but naturally territorial, overly protective, or stubborn dogs really need the most in training. Not that I have any doubts that anyone on this forum would be a great trainer and have well behaved dogs.

Haha, they can get territorial but with a firm hand they're just so loving. My dachshund, Hahns will stand up on his hind legs for 20 seconds now. He's a lovely dog. My vet always disliked them, and now she loves her mini dachshund. (Silver dapples are gorgeous!) 🙂
 
I've started looking around at some dogs and I must say this process is really difficult. I met two little girls this past weekend who obviously had difficult early years. One started out in an abusive household. Her owners got mad because she would get into the dirty diaper bin, but they thought putting a lid on it was too much effort so they gave her up. Then she was adopted for a few years into a family with an alcoholic. They eventually gave her up and she finally got into a nice foster family. The sad thing is, her foster home is the first time she has really felt safe with anyone and she has bonded so strongly to them that you can tell she doesn't want to leave them. Fostering is all about finding the dog a home, but when you see how attached the dog has become to her people, it breaks your heart to think about taking them apart.

The second girl was found as a stray. She was about to be euthanized, but a family said they would adopt her, so she was saved from the pound. When they finally met her, they saw that her teats hang a little low from having had puppies, and they decided they didn't want that. No one knows what happened to her, but she was obviously treated poorly. She gets really nervous in new situations and wants to hide. But she warms up very quickly, especially if you introduce new people to her one at a time and not all at once. After just 10 minutes she was climbing in my lap and just wanted to be loved. It's weird that she is familiar with some human stuff, but not everything. She loves rides in the car and she will get on the couch, but she doesn't understand dog toys or treats.

All the dogs are just so cute. I wish I could give them all homes. But hearing all these bad stories makes me so angry at humans. I can't think of any other species that is cruel just for the heck of it.



Does anybody have experience working with dogs who have been abused? Once they bond with their owner and have some time to feel like home is safe, do they start to become more comfortable in new situations or will they always be fearful when meeting new people?
 
You asked: "Does anybody have experience working with dogs who have been abused? Once they bond with their owner and have some time to feel like home is safe, do they start to become more comfortable in new situations or will they always be fearful when meeting new people?"

I have run a small rescue for abused dogs for years. I have no idea what my graduate number is now, but I can tell you that dogs recover from abuse faster than humans and are very willing to forgive and forget. Of course it depends on the level of abuse and when it happened. Small puppies can develop PTSD if it was bad enough (I have one working her way through that right now) but I've only had two with it, so it's not that common.

A young dog subjected to extended abuse and, most important, a lack of socialization, will be fearful longer than a dog who was socialized before the abuse occurred. I have a senior hound who was so abused many of her teeth were shattered yet within months was happily greeting strangers.

Both dogs you described meeting should do fine with you -- IF you have the patience to go slow and be kind to them. I have adopted out a number of dogs who were deeply bonded to me, but if their new family adored them they went through a short period of depression and then adjusted just fine. I've found a constant stream of treats and kinds words goes a long way to convince a dog that you are the best thing since sliced bread.

The first dog will adjust easily and aside from normal training issues you shouldn't have a problem. The second dog needs a lot of emotional support, but it sounds as if she wants to be part of this new world because she does come around quickly. Expose her to safe stimuli such as going to pet stores where she will be welcome and do it slowly....

If she doesn't understand treats you just haven't found the right one yet. Do a Google for satin balls. You can break the recipe into any amount, change ingredients as long as you keep the molasses and bake it in balls like small meatloaves so that it is safe to handle and carry around. I couldn't run a rescue without satin balls. No dog can resist them. They will eat them when they won't eat anything else and they work amazingly well as bribes for frightened dogs.

Pick the dog you can't stop thinking about. Some dogs grab your heart and won't let go. My personal choice for an apartment dog is a Shih tzu. I've had them for 30 years, but currently I also have 9 other breeds and my tzu was from a mill and needed a lot of work. They were bred to love and they do their job very very well. 😍

Feel free to holler at me if you want to talk: [email protected]

Peace,
Jane and the Hole in the Wall Gang
See our gang here: http://flickr.com/photos/12349062@N00/
 
Hello everyone,

Thanks so much for all your help and suggestions. I wanted to update you all. In the end, I decided against getting a dog during school. While I have the time right now, I was really going to rely on help from my parents during difficult rotations starting in July. We knew that one of my family's dogs is aggressive with other canines except the "brother" he grew up with (our fault for not socializing a country dog), but we learned that it's not something he gets over after a few introductions. My sister brings her Min Pin when she visits, and our dog seems to think he is a snack, so we have to constantly shuffle - one dog out with the family, one locked away, switch. That's not fair to either dog, and I decided it wouldn't be right to force my family's old dog (~11years) to have to deal with that on a regular basis. So again, thanks for all the information you shared. I will definitely keep it in mind when I do decide it is time to adopt.

- Abilene
 
I think you should go to your local shelters/humane societies and see what they have. Most shelters have staff who know the dog's personality and they might be able to help you find exactly what you are looking for. I would also take any dog you might be interested in and spend time with them before you make your final decision.