Smart Phone in Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PLU2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if it is required to have a smart phone for med school (or if it is incredibly helpful)? My plan just ended and I don't want to pay for data if I don't have to. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the school. I have had med school professors I work with comment (after seeing me check meds on mine) that most med students at the local med school always have them whenever they are on clinicals w/ those professors. They are definitely handy but I doubt they're necessary for the 1st 2 yrs at most schools as they'd be more useful out on the hospital floor during the clinical years when you can't just have a laptop nearby at all times.

I'd say it's incredibly helpful.

But during the pre-clinical years it probably won't matter, so don't bother getting it now if you can't afford it.

Members don't see this ad :)
My iPhone has been extremely useful during my third year clinical rotations. But you will not need one during your first two years of med school.

during the first two years, incredibly helpful? No, useful? yes. If you want one get one and you can probably find a use for it. But don't run out and get one because you think you need it.

If your getting an iphone i like the medscape app.

If you dont want to pay for a data plan i wouldnt bother.

you can get an ipod touch instead if you want to avoid a plan, it does everything the iphone does (assuming you have wifi access) except for phone calls and gps.

you can get an ipod touch instead if you want to avoid a plan, it does everything the iphone does (assuming you have wifi access) except for phone calls and gps.

The only problem with a touch is if you're in a hospital w/o wifi you won't be able to quickly look something up that you can't get an answer to using a medical app.

I know for a fact at my school that for the 3rd and 4th years a PDA is required. Certain smartphones will count towards this requirement.

Also, Iphones aren't allowed, as your PDA must be able to use a stylus in order for attendings to sign things.

To another poster, What kind of hospital would you do rotations at that wouldn't have wifi?

I'm getting a smart phone now, but my plan will expire before my clinical years and I'll get whatever smart phone will count towards the PDA requirement.

Having a smartphone during the clinical years is INCREDIBLY helpful. I would even argue that is absolutely essential. You should make sure whichever phone you choose will support the full Epocrates Essentials program which includes Rx/Sx/Tx instead of just the basic Epocrates which just has the drug database. Also, many medical schools allow you to download the Epocrates program for free online.

For the first two years, having Epocrates probably isn't incredibly helpful, but it would probably still be useful. For example, if you are taking your pharm course and you see a drug advertised on tv but don't remember anything about the drug, you can just plug it into your phone and look it up.

To another poster, What kind of hospital would you do rotations at that wouldn't have wifi?

Most of the big academic hospitals have wifi. Some smaller hospitals don't and if you have any rotations at a community clinic or small outpatient center you may not have wifi access.

Most of the big academic hospitals have wifi. Some smaller hospitals don't and if you have any rotations at a community clinic or small outpatient center you may not have wifi access.

Hospitals are notorious blackholes for cell signals anyway. I wouldn't rely on that signal.

It also depends on the school. My school, they throw you in with stuff pretty fast. We are given PDAs, but starting spring semester you see patients in a clinic every other week and finish with a 3 week practicum with a primary care doc for the standard 9-5 type deal. I have found it very useful for that. I have just the ipod touch and even without the internet, it has been helpful. I have epocrates, pepid, harrisons...all sorts of stuff. Good for killing time but feeling productive as well. Data plans are ridiculous and I'm yet to get one, but I will when the new iphone OS comes out. I can justify it simply because I've avoided extraneous costs like the 1000 dollar doctor kits and random springbreak trips.

Wow, I had no idea there were med apps. Which ones are most of you talking about?

Epocrates is one...what else?

ESSENTIAL:
- Epocrates: drug database (free) + optional symptoms/disease/treatment/labs + medical calculators for commonly used formulas (free via med school)
- Pocket Medicine (or Pocket Emergency Medicine): most med students and interns have the print version of this commonly referred to the "red book," contains helpful treatment algorithms (not free)

HELPFUL:
- Current Consult Surgery: sort of like Epocrates for your surgery rotation (free via med school)
- Shots: immunizations schedule for pediatrics/family medicine rotation (free)
- OB Wheel: for calculating pregnancy due dates on OB-GYN rotation (free)

OCCASIONALLY HELPFUL BUT NOT ESSENTIAL:
- AHRQ ePSS: guidelines for U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (free)
- Diagnosaurus: for differential diagnoses (free)
- Palm EKG: for interpreting EKG's (free)

Someone mentioned this briefly earlier, but a lot of schools supply you with a PDA, so look into it before you spend the money.

Someone mentioned this briefly earlier, but a lot of schools supply you with a PDA, so look into it before you spend the money.
I don't think I could survive without my smartphone:confused:

I dont think i could live without my smartphone even now, regardless of how helpful it will probably be in med school haha

I know for a fact at my school that for the 3rd and 4th years a PDA is required. Certain smartphones will count towards this requirement.

Also, Iphones aren't allowed, as your PDA must be able to use a stylus in order for attendings to sign things.

I'm getting a smart phone now, but my plan will expire before my clinical years and I'll get whatever smart phone will count towards the PDA requirement.

Actually, the hospital I am at has some facilities w/ Ethernet only (in our older buildings) and we have residency programs as well as M3 & M4s do clinical rotations there. It all depends on the facility. Some simply haven't been renovated recently.

Despite all the posts saying how "necessary" smart phones are in med school, they are not. I have never owned a smart phone, and have had absolutely no problems succeeding in all 4 years in medical school. I don't own a PDA either. There are computers everywhere in the hospital if you know where to look. Every patient room has one, hidden ones in the hallways, doctors lounges, nurses stations. I never had a problem finding a computer if I needed one. Some mornings I had to be a little more creative, but it was never an issue. Also, my cell phone didn't even work at one of the hospitals I spent a majority of my time rotating at, so it wouldn't have been helpful even if I had a smart phone.

Moral of the story: If you can't afford to pay for the data plan on a medical student budget, don't get one. Period.

ESSENTIAL:
- Epocrates: drug database (free) + optional symptoms/disease/treatment/labs + medical calculators for commonly used formulas (free via med school)
- Pocket Medicine (or Pocket Emergency Medicine): most med students and interns have the print version of this commonly referred to the "red book," contains helpful treatment algorithms (not free)

HELPFUL:
- Current Consult Surgery: sort of like Epocrates for your surgery rotation (free via med school)
- Shots: immunizations schedule for pediatrics/family medicine rotation (free)
- OB Wheel: for calculating pregnancy due dates on OB-GYN rotation (free)

OCCASIONALLY HELPFUL BUT NOT ESSENTIAL:
- AHRQ ePSS: guidelines for U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (free)
- Diagnosaurus: for differential diagnoses (free)
- Palm EKG: for interpreting EKG's (free)

Just wanted to point out you do NOT need a data plan unless you want one for personal reasons (e.g., to check e-mail, etc.). I don't have one either. All the programs listed above can be downloaded onto your PDA and updated periodically through your computer.

Last edited:
An M3 told me that a smart phone could be useful in pre-clinical years for certain flashcard programs (she didn't specify which), so maybe it wouldn't be a horrible idea if you wanted an iphone. I think I'll still look into it.

Sorry OP, not really an answer. But anyone reading this with a BlackBerry, Medscape is allowing a free download of its drug software. medscape.com/blackberry from the BB browser. You must be a member of Medscape.