Technology Smartphone dilema

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bla_3x

Grip it and rip it!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Rant, after trying to buy new phone today:
Why can't verizon just get a freakin treo w/o an antenna!!!!!!!!!
My hand-me-down treo 700p is toast and I really have become dependent on the treo/smartphone.
One thing that was a big problem for me was the seemingly little stubby antenna on the phone that seemed to get caught all the time on something an go to ground!
Now I still have a yr left with vzw on contract and I need a new treo or the like (really need the touchscreen and pda aspects).
I am so close to just switching carriers and eating the contract fee. For instance cingulair/att has the treo750 (and not to mention the iphone in the future) and sprint is apparently getting the treo755. Should I try and find a good priced used treo and wait out the contract? I am just scared I'll get a crapped out phone.

Members don't see this ad.

I feel your pain.

The Treo 680 (antenna-less) is a GSM phone. Verizon's network is CDMA. That's why they'll never offer the 680. The Treo 750 (antenna-less) is also GSM, and offered only with Windows Mobile at this point. The Treo 700p is your best option for a Palm OS smartphone from Verizon. As you said, you could always change to Cingulair to get the 680, but you'd be obligated for the remainder of your contract, so the best time to switch would be when your contract expired.

The Treo 755 is still in the rumor mill stage, so I'm not sure what to make of it.

It's the nature of CDMA tech. to need a stubby antenna to get really good reception. This isn't likely to ever change with Verizon and it's Palm smartphones.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good find. Here's a review of the product: http://mytreo.net/archives/2007/01/short-treo-antenna.html

I must confess that I'm a little skeptical about the "no difference in reception" claim. If that were the case, why wouldn't Palm have made the antenna shorter in the first place...? :confused:

That is a great find! I too am woried for the exact reason above. But I guess its worth a try.

Anyone get a used treo? Any recs on sites that provide good ones? I am so scared of getting a lemon from ebay!