Technology Smartphone in med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NightSwim

Stressed Applicant
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying an iphone for med school (i'm starting M1 in August). I'm realizing just how useful it is to be able to look something up whenever, wherever. Do you guys think it's worth the extra money? Roughly what percent of your med school class has one?

Also, I've heard from friends the iphone is the most user-friendly smartphone, as opposed to the blackberry and others.

Members don't see this ad.

I think quite a few people in my class have one (maybe 25%?) but it really isn't needed until 3rd year for resources. There are a few apps for basic sciences but not much.

The only major problem with the iphone is that you are stuck with AT&T. If AT&T works well in your area that won't be much of an issue but if it doesn't...

As for the utility of smartphones... I have an android phone and I love it. Being able to whip it out of my pocket at any time and browse the web is great. That said I rarely use it in any sort of academic sense. Maybe this will change when I hit the clinical years but right now I just use it to go to wikipedia to settle dumb arguments over trivia. (which is a great reason to have one for sure, it just isn't really medical school specific)

Members don't see this ad :)
The only major problem with the iphone is that you are stuck with AT&T. If AT&T works well in your area that won't be much of an issue but if it doesn't...

As for the utility of smartphones... I have an android phone and I love it. Being able to whip it out of my pocket at any time and browse the web is great. That said I rarely use it in any sort of academic sense. Maybe this will change when I hit the clinical years but right now I just use it to go to wikipedia to settle dumb arguments over trivia. (which is a great reason to have one for sure, it just isn't really medical school specific)

hmmm... well I already have AT&T, but it sounds like I should research what its coverage is like in my new city (Boston). Maybe I'm expecting that having an iphone would more useful that it actually is during M1&2. I'll have a laptop in class to look things up, anyway. I guess, outside of class and my apartment is when it could make a difference.

Now I'm thinking, maybe I should wait until after I start med school to get it. That way, I could scope out the scene, get settled in first, and then make a more informed decision.

hmmm... well I already have AT&T, but it sounds like I should research what its coverage is like in my new city (Boston). Maybe I'm expecting that having an iphone would more useful that it actually is during M1&2. I'll have a laptop in class to look things up, anyway. I guess, outside of class and my apartment is when it could make a difference.

Now I'm thinking, maybe I should wait until after I start med school to get it. That way, I could scope out the scene, get settled in first, and then make a more informed decision.
Probably the best decision.
I've just completed M1 in Boston with an iPhone and academically it didn't come in that helpful but it was great for scheduling things and such though.
It did come in handy a few times for looking things up in a clinical setting.
I'd say roughly 50% of the class has a smart phone [blackberry, iphone, android or something] but that's completely unscientific estimate.

Probably the best decision.
I've just completed M1 in Boston with an iPhone and academically it didn't come in that helpful but it was great for scheduling things and such though.
It did come in handy a few times for looking things up in a clinical setting.
I'd say roughly 50% of the class has a smart phone [blackberry, iphone, android or something] but that's completely unscientific estimate.

Thanks dude. This is the kind of situation I was thinking it might come in handy. Also, thanks for the unscientific estimate. That's pretty high.

Think I'm going to get one now, regardless. My friend just told me he thinks the HTC Droid is awesome. Now I've just gotta figure out:
HTC vs. Iphone.
Hmmm...

User-friendly: iPhone and Android. Both will give you a touch screen. BlackBerry is also good if you choose a touch-screen device (Storm or Storm 2).

Also, take a look at the Palm Pre. It just became available on AT&T.