Smartphone for Medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

libertyyne

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you need one?
Do you use it study?
Is screen size important?
What does your workflow look like?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I think firecracker has a smartphone app. And I know that anki does.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think firecracker has a smartphone app. And I know that anki does.

Anki, $20 for the app. Worked magic for MCAT, definitely will use in med school.

To OP, I don't think screen size is important, however I just upgraded to the 7 Plus and I can't imagine how I took pictures before. The camera is a beast.

Storage is also important, if you're going to use a bunch of these huge apps. My 6s could not keep up and I constantly had to delete ****. With the 256gb or even the 128gb storage isn't a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Smartphone will definitely come in handy, but I think a pretty basic one (a la ZTE) would be more than sufficient. I'd also look into investing in a tablet for clinical year. Definitely looked good on rounds when I was able to pull up labs, imaging, etc and it looks a tad more professional than pulling out your phone during rounds (imo).

A smartphone is a definite must-have, especially for clinic.
Screen size and brand is a personal preference, but amount of storage is important. Personally, I wouldn't want less than 64GB. I have an iphone bc I like that it syncs with the Macbooks our school got for us.

Reactions: 1 users
Do you need one?
Do you use it study?
Is screen size important?
What does your workflow look like?

Thanks

I personally use one because responses to many emails (research, scheduling, etc.) are very time responsive. Screen size isn't important. On wards it also helps look up some information that attendings/residents ask you about.

Uptodate, Uworld, YouTube, etc. Yes, you need a smartphone.

I got away with a Razr for the first two years, then I upgraded to a $30 ZTE for third year so I can get email and internet. The only app I can fit on the tiny memory is UpToDate. Everything else I just use the web browser.

I believe the Anki app is free for Androids. My screen is approx 2.5 x 4 inches and I find it to be perfect (I hate big phones). I use a computer for UWorld and Anki when I have down time to study.

Reactions: 1 user
Medscape was another app that helped/helps a ton.

Honestly, I think I prefer and use Medscape more often than UtD; its format of intro, presentation, ddx, workup, and treatment is very concise and easier to find what I want than wading through UtD articles, though those do have their place.

To answer OP, I'm sure you could manage without one, but it would be more difficult. Especially when course directors or whoever are sending time-sensitive emails throughout the day. Otherwise you could probably make it work with all the workstations around, or if you used a tablet for on the go things.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, I think I prefer and use Medscape more often than UtD; its format of intro, presentation, ddx, workup, and treatment is very concise and easier to find what I want than wading through UtD articles, though those do have their place.

To answer OP, I'm sure you could manage without one, but it would be more difficult. Especially when course directors or whoever are sending time-sensitive emails throughout the day. Otherwise you could probably make it work with all the workstations around, or if you used a tablet for on the go things.
Summary and Recommendations is all you need in life

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using SDN mobile

I def agree. Our school is all about uptodate but the formatting of Medscape is very user friendly. And their drugs and conditions reference tool is amazing as well.

Aside: has anyone who uses anki on their android been able to open images? I can get text cards fine, but images don't show up.

Both audio and video media sync without issue for me. Maybe there's a problem with permissions on your phone? Lack of storage space? Try uninstalling and reinstalling the app maybe?

Yes. You're going to make your life easier by paying hundreds for laptops, gadgets, books and sketchy (but don't, make friends and get them from an M2) so why hold off on a good phone?

"fancy iPhones" don't cost $1000. The benefits of having a smartphone in med school grossly outweigh the downsides (i.e., cost - which is pretty negligible).
upload_2017-3-29_22-5-13.png

I am not trying to be difficult, I am just trying to display that fancy phones are indeed expensive.
That's why the vast majority of people don't buy directly from the manufacturer. Also, no one even implied that you needed the most expensive iPhone (or smartphone - though having used both Android and Apple I would never go back to Android). My iPhone 4s from 2013 is still rocking and I paid about $100 for it at the time. My wife has a 7s for which she paid a little over $100 and even after you factor in carrier fees it ends up being much less in the long run than if you bought it direct.

Last edited:
That's why the vast majority of people don't buy directly from the manufacturer. Also, no one even implied that you needed the most expensive iPhone (or smartphone - though having used both Android and Apple I would never go back to Android). My iPhone 4s from 2013 is still rocking. My wife has a 7s and even after you factor in carrier fees it ends up being much less in the long run.
Carriers are done subsidizing phones. I am unsure if you have bought a phone recently, they just make you pay the price of the phone in installments. You are still paying full sticker price of the phone at the end of the day.

Reactions: 3 users
Carriers are done subsidizing phones. I am unsure if you have bought a phone recently, they just make you pay the price of the phone in installments. You are still paying full sticker price of the phone at the end of the day.
Only if you're an idiot about cell plans and negotiating. I've had the same plan since 2009. The only thing that has changed is local tax, and I've "upgraded" my phone 3 times, and was able to add my wife (gf at the time) at no additional cost. If you're really that cheap it shouldn't be too hard to find someone to just give you an old phone, or buy a used or refurbished one.

Last edited:
Not if you're an idiot about cell plans and negotiating. I've had the same plan since 2009. The only thing that has changed is tax, and I've "upgraded" my phone 3 times. If you're really that cheap it shouldn't be too hard to find someone to just give you an old phone, or buy a used or refurbished one.
If you read my question, it specifically asked if a ZTE would be sufficient. until you decided to question that an iphone could cost 1000 dollars. Thanks for contributing though.

If you read my question, it specifically asked if a ZTE would be sufficient. until you decided to question that an iphone could cost 1000 dollars. Thanks for contributing though.
Title of thread = "Smartphone for Medical School"
Initial post made no mention of ZTE
I responded somewhat sarcastically with, "Is this a legit question?"
You responded with the $1000 iPhone hyperbole...

However, if you want direct answers to the questions in your initial post here you are:

Do you need one? - literally no, but I (and 99% of med students) would say yes.
Do you use it study? - daily. Even in 1st and 2nd year.
Is screen size important? - this is 100% subjective.
What does your workflow look like? - I'm assuming you've never used a smartphone.

Thanks - you're welcome.

Last edited:
Yeah but ZTE is also a smartphone, so ZTE vs iPhone is kind of confusing in-context (and "$1000 iPhone or $50 ZTE?" set up a false dichotomy that could have resulted in less useful responses).

ro69Jxj.gif

Yeah but ZTE is also a smartphone, so ZTE vs iPhone is kind of confusing in-context (and "$1000 iPhone or $50 ZTE?" set up a false dichotomy that could have resulted in less useful responses).
Read the thread. If the answer was obviously , yes need a smart phone the next question was do I need to buy an expensive one.

That's why the vast majority of people don't buy directly from the manufacturer. Also, no one even implied that you needed the most expensive iPhone (or smartphone - though having used both Android and Apple I would never go back to Android). My iPhone 4s from 2013 is still rocking and I paid about $100 for it at the time. My wife has a 7s for which she paid a little over $100 and even after you factor in carrier fees it ends up being much less in the long run than if you bought it direct.

lol that's nothing. My 3GS still works today.

Get gud.

Read the thread. If the answer was obviously , yes need a smart phone the next question was do I need to buy an expensive one.
If that was your question than you should have directly asked it. Apple products last forever unless you're careless (as mentioned above my 2007 MBP is still running solid, along with my iPhone 4s, and 1st gen iPod Classic). If you're really a penny pincher buy one from someone you trust, or a refurbished one. Otherwise, go through a wireless carrier and go with the cheapest reasonable plan, and don't upgrade/change your plan unless you absolutely have to.

"Smartphone" being the choice word here. For what most people would use it for (a couple apps plus quick web searches) any smartphone still supported from the past like 5 years will do. No need to go buy the iPhone 7 plus with max storage and max cost that you linked unless you want it for other reasons. I just upgraded to the 7 from my 5 and that was still kicking just fine.

Title of thread = "Smartphone for Medical School"
Initial post made no mention of ZTE
I responded somewhat sarcastically with, "Is this a legit question?"
You responded with the $1000 iPhone hyperbole...

However, if you want direct answers to the questions in your initial post here you are:

Do you need one? - literally no, but I (and 99% of med students) would say yes.
Do you use it study? - daily. Even in 1st and 2nd year.
Is screen size important? - this is 100% subjective.
What does your workflow look like? - I'm assuming you've never used a smartphone.

Thanks - you're welcome.
Are you joking? One of your first replies was a direct response to the post he made that referred to the ZTE. Why are you being so abrasive?

You need a smartphone for life in general, you just don't realize it until you have one! I could never go back to my old flip phone and I'm not even in med school yet. I did the cheapest possible upgrade option to like a 3 year old Android they were trying to get rid of, and it's been great. I use it a ton but mostly just for music, emails, quick google access and for killing time Reddit and SDN mobile.

Reactions: 3 users
Are you joking? One of your first replies was a direct response to the post he made that referred to the ZTE. Why are you being so abrasive?
He didn't refer to the ZTE until after I responded, and he set up the absurd dichotomy between an iPhone and ZTE when he did. Sorry for not taking the question literally, given the overall context.

Last edited:
I used mine for quizlet flashcards and to record lectures. I know lectures are recorded in med school, so that would be an issue, but you can still use it for the flashcards, which is super awesome when you're on the bus/have some down time to kill. I also enjoy the podcasts, which keep me entertained haha

iPhone 6 are $200 from apple for the 16gb unlocked,I've had it since release and I love it. I'm gonna get the galaxy note 8 or the next google phone when they release. I'm not a med student though, just saying you don't need the top of top or the lowest/cheapest (no offense to the zte) middle ground is the best bang for your buck.

Just don't get an iPhone, or anything apple related for that matter. Google's phone is quite literally orders of magnitude better than any iPhone.

Just don't get an iPhone, or anything apple related for that matter. Google's phone is quite literally orders of magnitude better than any iPhone.
IDK, the pixel XLs are like 800+

You are absolutely getting what you pay for, which you have never been able to say of any Apple product.
Why do you think Android is orders of magnitude better than Ios or pixel is better than iphone?
All the real life performance tests I have seen put the iphone ahead almost by twice in benchmarks. The Pixel Camera is the only place where it out shines i phone 7. Plus at least i phones get updates for 4 years, so if I buy now I wont have to worry about the phone until 4th year.
I am seriously debating getting a S8 vs Iphone 7 plus vs Pixel right now the ip7+ can be had for a relatively good deal.

Why do you think Android is orders of magnitude better than Ios or pixel is better than iphone?
All the real life performance tests I have seen put the iphone ahead almost by twice in benchmarks. The Pixel Camera is the only place where it out shines i phone 7. Plus at least i phones get updates for 4 years, so if I buy now I wont have to worry about the phone until 4th year.
I am seriously debating getting a S8 vs Iphone 7 plus vs Pixel right now the ip7+ can be had for a relatively good deal.
Dunno about current generations but it used to be screen resolution/quality, the Chrome browser and the general ability to sync your phone with all your other Google stuff that made it so attractive (e.g. all your passwords are autoentered for you when you go to a site on your phone that you've logged into from your computer in Chrome before; your calendar and googledocs/googlesheets and gmail are all native)

I've also personally always found Apple products try so hard to be idiot proofed that they become difficult for advanced use/customization.

I've also personally always found Apple products try so hard to be idiot proofed that they become difficult for advanced use/customization.
This is absolutely true. Their hardware quality, is pretty decent though compared to run of the mill android manufacturers.

iPhone 7 vs. Google Pixel: The ultimate comparison Hardware alone the pixel blows the iPhone7 out of the water. Just don't take it swimming. And as is constantly seen with Apple products, despite having inferior hardware we see a higher price point.

You also don''t have to deal with the incredibly rigid restraints of Apple's OS. People often counter this with "Well I'm not good with computers there's nothing that I want to do but can't on an iPhone/Macbook/whatever it is". Once you get away from Apple, you will be amazed at how much easier it is to work with non-Mac OS's. Most of the times you can get the phone/computer to do exactly what you want with far less jumping through hoops.