You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Smartphone for Medical school
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Honestly people upgrade phones too frequently to need to care that much about build quality. It's not like people use their device for 7-10 years, more like 2-3. And the one time I had a processor die on me they were very good about shipping me out a replacement in like 1.5 days.This is absolutely true. Their hardware quality, is pretty decent though compared to run of the mill android manufacturers.
At least for now I'll continue to shop for what has a pretty display, is easily customized and lets me access things as easily from my phone as my computer.
I have been using a cheap android device , However, Google Pixel / Pixel XL Vs Apple iPhone 7 / 7 Plus Benchmarks Comparison | Redmond Pie The iphone is still faster in every day actives. I am not an isheep by any measure I have a solid windows laptop, but kudos where kudos is due apple knows how to design a solid phone and the integration of hardware and bottom up approach including design of the internals gives them an edge in performance.iPhone 7 vs. Google Pixel: The ultimate comparison Hardware alone the pixel blows the iPhone7 out of the water. Just don't take it swimming. And as is constantly seen with Apple products, despite having inferior hardware we see a higher price point.
You also don''t have to deal with the incredibly rigid restraints of Apple's OS. People often counter this with "Well I'm not good with computers there's nothing that I want to do but can't on an iPhone/Macbook/whatever it is". Once you get away from Apple, you will be amazed at how much easier it is to work with non-Mac OS's. Most of the times you can get the phone/computer to do exactly what you want with far less jumping through hoops.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I guess I am looking for a phone I can use all through medschool, without having to upgrade or worry about reliability.Honestly people upgrade phones too frequently to need to care that much about build quality. It's not like people use their device for 7-10 years, more like 2-3. And the one time I had a processor die on me they were very good about shipping me out a replacement in like 1.5 days.
At least for now I'll continue to shop for what has a pretty display, is easily customized and lets me access things as easily from my phone as my computer.
Just buy a 6+ or 6S+ for cheap. No need for the 7 they're still incredibly well functioning. Had my + for almost 3 years now and other then an optional battery replacement a few weeks ago it's been perfectly powerful enough to handle anything I throw at it
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
You do not need a smart phone for the first two years of medical school any more than you need it in your life. There are plenty of people that can not comprehend life without a smart phone at all, so many would say that yes you need it. If you got by in pre-med without a smart phone, you will get through your pre-clinicals without it just fine.
For 3rd year and beyond, given our dependence on smart phones in the work place and for communication, I would say that you "need" it. Some people will expect you to communicate with them in ways that practically require it.
For 3rd year and beyond, given our dependence on smart phones in the work place and for communication, I would say that you "need" it. Some people will expect you to communicate with them in ways that practically require it.
If you have Amazon Prime, you can get really cheap phones that just have ads in the lockscreen. My husband just bought a solid Moto for like 150.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using SDN mobile
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using SDN mobile
My school may be more tech savvy than others, but it does require a smart phone. Our email has two-step login which requires an apple/android smart phone to run the app that gives us the second step. My school does not use clickers for questions but something called poll everywhere which also requires a smart phone.
As for using the phone to study? Yes I use quizlet at the gym.
Do you need a $1000 dollar iphone? No, you will be fine with a $400 iphone 6S.
As for using the phone to study? Yes I use quizlet at the gym.
Do you need a $1000 dollar iphone? No, you will be fine with a $400 iphone 6S.
Apple iPhone 7 thrashes Samsung Galaxy S7 in Geekbench; it's the new performance king – Tech2
It doesn't matter if the Pixel or any other smartphone destroys the iPhone 7 or 7+ on paper, in real world performance the iPhone wipes the floor with any other device. The amount of software optimization is much higher in iOS devices because developers only have to develop for a few devices, whereas with Android developers must develop for significantly more devices with their own bloatware (IE "one size fits all" mentality). This is why apps run smoother on iOS devices. Not to mention the A10 processor is leagues ahead when it comes to single core performance.
If you want a device that has a lot of customizability at the cost of software stability and overall reliability go with Android. If you don't care about customization but simply want a fast, smooth, and reliable device that will last for years go with Apple.
You ultimately get what you pay for.
This might sound financially stupid............but couldn't you just put the 500-600 cost on loans? Won't make a huge difference in the long run, and having a smart phone is extremely convenient (and aren't people always saying that saving time in med school is a premium?).
Carriers are done subsidizing phones. I am unsure if you have bought a phone recently, they just make you pay the price of the phone in installments. You are still paying full sticker price of the phone at the end of the day.
Definitely not. I got my iPhone 6 from AT&T for like $250.
can you link me where I can get a new iPhone for that much? Thanks!Definitely not. I got my iPhone 6 from AT&T for like $250.
Probably nowhere online. Go walk into a Verizon/AT&T/whatever store.can you link me where I can get a new iPhone for that much? Thanks!
Yes you need one!!! I can't imagine my life without my iPhone. I held off on buying the iPhone for so long because I didn't think I needed it and that it was so expensive. Then I finally caved and bought an used iPhone 3GS (years ago) and used it for 5 years with absolutely nothing broken! It just worked so fluidly for so long and the hardware was like invincible since it never breaks. I loved it so much that I got the iPhone 6S the day it came out, and it was worth every single penny.
I never get lost because I have google maps (can download maps to be used offline). I can't tell you how many times my gps was being stupid and google maps saved my life. I can open up 300+ tabs on my iPhone browser and it wouldn't slow it down a single bit. And yes I literally have 300+ tabs open every single day because the phone never slows down so I wouldn't even notice that I had so many open until I actually check. And uber is one of the best apps out there, period. I can also send complicated emails with a bunch of attachments on the go. I saved thousands of dollars by using Skype. So yeah....literally the two most important products in my life are my computer and my iPhone.
And i know I'm going to get a lot of hate for saying this but I had a Samsung phone before my iPhone, and let's just say I will never buy a Samsung phone again.
I never get lost because I have google maps (can download maps to be used offline). I can't tell you how many times my gps was being stupid and google maps saved my life. I can open up 300+ tabs on my iPhone browser and it wouldn't slow it down a single bit. And yes I literally have 300+ tabs open every single day because the phone never slows down so I wouldn't even notice that I had so many open until I actually check. And uber is one of the best apps out there, period. I can also send complicated emails with a bunch of attachments on the go. I saved thousands of dollars by using Skype. So yeah....literally the two most important products in my life are my computer and my iPhone.
And i know I'm going to get a lot of hate for saying this but I had a Samsung phone before my iPhone, and let's just say I will never buy a Samsung phone again.
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Throwing my 2 cents in. I use the iPhone simply for the reliability of support. I go to the Apple store, they fix it for free. Don't see the same thing with Androids (my brothers have them). Plus, Android batteries seem to wear out faster than iPhones. I'm not a computer wizard, and I have no idea what else I would need to "customize" on my phone to make it work for me, but I guess that depends on the person. So for me, its reliability. Kind of like choosing Honda or Toyota over a Chevy or Ford. Less "creature features", more reliability. Just my experience. Also, I have a MacBook computer (my undergrad gave it to me), so iPhone was the logical choice so that they can talk to each other.
Kind of like choosing Honda or Toyota over a Chevy or Ford.
/facepalm
lol even the newest Iphone still doesn't have a microSD storage option and uses stupid proprietary cables instead of standardized microusb cables. What a joke man
Android has:
More phone options, by a longshot (apple has...like 2. Android has numerous companies making phones for their OS)
Apple's maps app is literally hot garbage compared to google maps
way more customization
better connectivity
iphone doesn't have splitscreen, an option i use literally every day
side loading of applications...which any advanced user who wants to install cool stuff will want to be able to do
forced to use a terrible application (Itunes) to do basically anything related to media.
ALWAYS ON DISPLAY...
I rest my case
Android has:
More phone options, by a longshot (apple has...like 2. Android has numerous companies making phones for their OS)
Apple's maps app is literally hot garbage compared to google maps
way more customization
better connectivity
iphone doesn't have splitscreen, an option i use literally every day
side loading of applications...which any advanced user who wants to install cool stuff will want to be able to do
forced to use a terrible application (Itunes) to do basically anything related to media.
ALWAYS ON DISPLAY...
I rest my case

Iphone is faster though.lol even the newest Iphone still doesn't have a microSD storage option and uses stupid proprietary cables instead of standardized microusb cables. What a joke man
Android has:
More phone options, by a longshot (apple has...like 2. Android has numerous companies making phones for their OS)
Apple's maps app is literally hot garbage compared to google maps
way more customization
better connectivity
iphone doesn't have splitscreen, an option i use literally every day
side loading of applications...which any advanced user who wants to install cool stuff will want to be able to do
forced to use a terrible application (Itunes) to do basically anything related to media.
ALWAYS ON DISPLAY...
I rest my case![]()
That can't be the only reason you choose an iphone. It's not that much faster that you would even notice.Iphone is faster though.
I was hoping to get something that would last me the entirety of medical school. Iphones tend to get their software updated in a timely fashion, and is currently faster, even a few seconds at a time starts adding up. On the flipside I could just buy a cheap android phone and just upgrade in 2 years.That can't be the only reason you choose an iphone. It's not that much faster that you would even notice.
Definitely need a phone with a high quality touchscreen so that when you swipe to the right on Tinder, your match knows it was personal and is more likely to swipe to the right back too. And with a f/1.8, 28mm wide-angle camera lens you can make sure that your white coat ceremony pics always hone in on your beaming face and intentionally blurr the Carribean med school logo on your jacket for your profile pics.
I grew up with Nokia dinosaur phones my entire life. The first smartphone I received was the HTC One as a gift on May of 2013. Almost four years and still a wonderful phone.
YouTube. GPS. Anki. PDF viewer. Utility device. Back-up presentation medium. Literally a godsend.
YouTube. GPS. Anki. PDF viewer. Utility device. Back-up presentation medium. Literally a godsend.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 919