Smile Direct Club Dental Assistant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Dental_93

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, so I'm currently looking for jobs in dentistry to build my resume as I'm applying to schools.

I was recently invited to interview at Smile Direct Club as a dental assistant. If you don't know what it is, It's basically an Invisalign company that bypasses visiting a dentist/orthodontist. They do 3D scans in office and send patients the retianers. From my understanding, a dentist or orthodontist reviews the scans before approving the retianers. Also, treatment is only provided to simple cases. I believe my role would be doing those scans, "selling" it to patients, and providing whitening treatments. Before I agree to the interview I just wanted some opinions on whether dental schools will look down upon me working for a company that is bypassing formal dental visits?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I’d be careful. It’s a very hot topic. You never know if you get an interviewer who strongly opposes this group.
 
I wouldn’t use it as a means to get into dental school. This company is pretty much universally hated by dentists.