Smile Direct Club Dental Assistant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dental_93

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I'm currently looking for jobs in dentistry to build my resume as I'm applying to schools.

I was recently invited to interview at Smile Direct Club as a dental assistant. If you don't know what it is, It's basically an Invisalign company that bypasses visiting a dentist/orthodontist. They do 3D scans in office and send patients the retianers. From my understanding, a dentist or orthodontist reviews the scans before approving the retianers. Also, treatment is only provided to simple cases. I believe my role would be doing those scans, "selling" it to patients, and providing whitening treatments. Before I agree to the interview I just wanted some opinions on whether dental schools will look down upon me working for a company that is bypassing formal dental visits?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’d be careful. It’s a very hot topic. You never know if you get an interviewer who strongly opposes this group.

I wouldn’t use it as a means to get into dental school. This company is pretty much universally hated by dentists.

Reactions: 1 user
I’d be careful. It’s a very hot topic. You never know if you get an interviewer who strongly opposes this group.

That's what I was worried about. I don't think I'll go forward with the interview. Thanks guys!