Smoke

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How many of you guys smoke?

• Regular Smoker

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • Social Smoker

Votes: 17 11.6%
  • Dont Smoke

Votes: 110 75.3%
  • Smoke Something Else

Votes: 11 7.5%

• Total voters

MoThuggy

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How man of you guys smoke cigarettes?

Members don't see this ad.

I smoked cigs (~ 1.5 packs/day) for 6 years, but I quit on October 8, 1999! :clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by captaintripps
Cannabis:clap:

Haha....saw that one coming :)

If I smoked now...I would feel so guilty. They are beating into our heads here to promote smoking cesation with patients...its even in our charts to help patients stop smoking.

There is no way i would be able to tell a patient to quit if I was smoking.

Dental student: Mr. Doe, I want you to stop smoking bec it is extremly bad for your oral and overall health.

Patient: But doctor, if it is so bad, why do you smell like smoke???

It is so awesome to see so many non-smokers!!!

Does anyone live in a state where smoking has been banned in all eating establishments? I was so happy when this happened (When I lived in NY)...finally my sandwich at Friendly's didn't taste like a cloud of smoke!

:laugh:

In CA its been no smoking in resturants for ages. Even the "bar ban" has been around for about 5 years now.

I was so happy when this happened (When I lived in NY)

It's pretty cool to go to a bar and not smell like smoke anymore.:thumbup:

I voted for "smoke something else."
I've been using crystal meth, or crank as we call it here in the heartland, for over two years now...none of which I have slept during.

Florida has recently put the ban on smoking in all public buildings and anywhere that serves food.

Smoking has long been prohibitted here in MA in pretty much all buildings (yeay...) many restuarants are now either smoke free or have a smoking section. I always hated the second hand smoke.

I only smoke what I grow. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by trypmo
I smoked cigs (~ 1.5 packs/day) for 6 years, but I quit on October 8, 1999! :clap:

as far as addictions, to quit smoking can be one of the most difficult tasks to conquer. good for you!

As you can tell by my avatar, you know what I like.

I still dont understand how other mind altering/addictive drugs such as caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol can be legal and allow HUGE coporations make HUGE profits off of these drugs (e.g. Philip Morris, Dunkin Donuts, Tim Hortons, Bacardi, etc.), whereas marijuana still is considered illegal and thus allows drug dealers and violence to ensue :confused:

And dont give me this bullsh*t about it being a gateway to other drugs, becuase if people didnt make so much fuss about marijuana and making it seem so bad like cocaine (which it obviously is not), then it wouldnt happen. If its classified in the same category it belongs in alongside alcohol and caffeine then the gateway would not exist. Does alcohol and caffeine lead to further drugs?

However, like every other legal drug, you should only have it in moderations.

Is it good to have 3 coffees a day? No

Is it good to have 3 packs of cigarettes a day? No

Is it good to have 3 shots of whiskey a day? No

Is it good to have 3 Joints a day? No

My brother once smoked ALOT of the funky stuff and his life sure reflected it. He was kicked out of the university for low grades and barly made a 2.75 in community college for his Associate degree

Then he decided to quit it and get his life straight. He tried to get back into the university but his grades were so bad they would not let him into the college of business. Since he was rejected he was sent to the dean. The dean recognized the last name and asked if I was his brother. Just bec he was my brother and I knew the dean very well he said he would give him a chance but he had to make a 3.2 his first term.

Long story short, my brother is weed free now and has a 3.6 GPA and in two more semesters he will have his BA in logistics and is now thinking of getting his masters.

Maybe it wasn't just the weed, but the crowd that came with it, but his life is much much better without it.

I was a regular user for ~15 years and am now working on 2 doctorates. All depends on the motivation of the individual. Marijuana can be an asset, given the right attitude.:idea:

avingupta Mary jane is illegal because corporations would reap no benefits from it. If marijuana was legalized today I'd have 15 plants in my backyard by tomorrow. What they don't tell you is that growing mary jane is such an awesome, spiritual experience, and you will never be the same smoker again. :hardy:

My brother once smoked ALOT of the funky stuff and his life sure reflected it. He was kicked out of the university for low grades and barly made a 2.75 in community college for his Associate degree

Then he decided to quit it and get his life straight. He tried to get back into the university but his grades were so bad they would not let him into the college of business. Since he was rejected he was sent to the dean. The dean recognized the last name and asked if I was his brother. Just bec he was my brother and I knew the dean very well he said he would give him a chance but he had to make a 3.2 his first term.

Long story short, my brother is weed free now and has a 3.6 GPA and in two more semesters he will have his BA in logistics and is now thinking of getting his masters.

I understand what you are saying, but remember, I said only in moderations. The same thing that happened to your brother is more common among students dealing with alcoholism.

Alcohol and Marijuana are both bad for you, yet good....just gotta do it responsibly!

Smoking cigarettes or cigars is one thing, but smoking pot is stupid. It may be no more harmful or less harmful than alcohol - but it is against the law whether you like it or not. Not only do you put your dental education in jeopardy, but you also put your license or your abiltity to get a license in jeapordy.

Dental school is hard enough without that stress. I suggest all you pot smokers to smarten up.

Originally posted by DrRob
Smoking cigarettes or cigars is one thing, but smoking pot is stupid. It may be no more harmful or less harmful than alcohol - but it is against the law whether you like it or not. Not only do you put your dental education in jeopardy, but you also put your license or your abiltity to get a license in jeapordy.

Dental school is hard enough without that stress. I suggest all you pot smokers to smarten up.
Whenever there's an unjust law it is your duty to disobey it.

Originally posted by DrRob

I suggest you take this ignorant comment and shove it up your a$$.

Don't pass judgement about stupid/smart activities, ain't worth a damn.

What's with all the hostility about Dr. Rob's comments? He IS right- no matter how much you think weed is harmless, it's illegal. Now, suppose someone like Avingupta is found out by US customs that he smokes, or had smoked weed, he might not even be allowed to cross the border, let alone going to dental school.

Use your heads on this one- and if you think people will never catch you, think again.

Hmm I see this is a hot topic.... But I'll chime in. I certainly have known a few very succesful pre-dents/meds (that have gotten into dental/med school) that have partaken in the funky stuff. To me it is no different then alcohol, moderation is OK, but excessive use can be bad for your health. Health professionals come from all walks of life and experiences. Most likely at any given school a few people have tried it. Does it make them a bad person? Not in my opinion (as long as they don't do it cronically...)

hey my ****ers!

Lestatzinnie, Avin has a greencard already, he's safe!

Weed is the illest.

If you don't like it, hey that's cool. Just don't rag on people that do. Look I've been smoking up, poppin' E's, drinking, etc. I've done it all. You can call me the Keith Richards of Undergrad.

I've STILL pulled 21+ DAT scores, 3.8+ GPA years, 4.1 Non science GPA, and got into dental school.

Me personally, I find Weed relaxes me and that makes me wanna study. Captaintripps knows what he's talking about. This man is at UConn. Each to his/her own I say.

Illegal OH NO! :eek: :eek:

How many of us here burn CDs of mp3's , tape movies off DVD's etc, that is illegal too. Even copying programs on disk is illegal.

I've committed many illegal things that aren't too big a deal.

I have never killed anyone, robbed nor, hurt anyone physically. I donate to the less fortunate, pay my taxes, etc.

What's wrong with having a beer (a lotta beer) and smoking up every once a while?

The legal system...please. It's so fudged up it lets ppl like OJ get off while Guy Paul Moran stays in prison for like 70 years even though he was innocent.

LONG LIVE THE WEED!

Just make sure you do it in moderation and make sure you dont' carry too much on ya at once. If you get busted with a little bit of weed, a lot of the time you get a misdemeanor fine, slap on the wrist. Now other drugs I wouldn't want to have around me except for the time of usage. once you use it all you can't be charged with posession.

Cocaine is a diff story that I won't get into. That **** is ****ed up, I dont' reccommend it.

But weed is fine. E's, X, extacsy , MDMA whatever you call it. Well not too often just when you really wanna celebrate, just make sure you don't have more than one or two pills on ya for more than 1-2 hours before dosage. I never carry or have any drugs on me. I almost got busted once at a rave, when cops raided a rave in Toronto. Luckily, I was sober at the time and popped the E as soon as they were checking people. Took about 30 minutes to kick in, so I was fine. Then I had a cab drive my gf and I home. You get caught with E you can get in some trouble.

Be careful but don't use it chronically.

You're an idiot if you get busted with pot.

Lestatzinnie, Avin has a greencard already, he's safe!

Actually Woodsy, im not safe....the US gov't can take away my greencard very easily, so yes I gotta be smart about things. But when did I say that I was gonna dress my self in pot leaves when I cross the border or walk into a police station??? I was just questioning the legality of a stupid law.

BUT, that doesnt mean Im gonna turn into a square like Rob and LeStatZinnie...Whatever I do within the walls of my own house is my business......heck, according to their logic, a dentist is not allowed to Jaywalk let alone burn cds.

According to the Act of 1760, In Philadelphia, you can't put pretzels in bags.....Cmon, Dr.ROb is right.....as dentists, we gotta set an example here people!!!! If you are going to Temple or Upenn, watch your Pretzel storage!!!!

Originally posted by avingupta

According to the Act of 1760, In Philadelphia, you can't put pretzels in bags.....Cmon, Dr.ROb is right.....as dentists, we gotta set an example here people!!!! If you are going to Temple or Upenn, watch your Pretzel storage!!!!

Now why isn't this a national law??? I would feel much safer if pretzel were not in bags! My god, think what terroroist could do with this!

Originally posted by ShawnOne
In CA its been no smoking in resturants for ages. Even the "bar ban" has been around for about 5 years now.

well soon you probably couldn't smoke anywhere in CA. i heard that now you can't smoke near the beaches either.

i just quit about 2 months ago, but i think its really ridiculous to ban smoking at the bars. damn, drinks and cigs go together if you ask me.

One joint has 1.5x as many carcinogens one cig, so go ahead and feed that cancer!

Benzopyrene causes genetic damage to lung cells that is identical to the damage observed in the DNA of malignant tumors of the lungs. The aveage marijuana joint contains 30 nanograms of this carcinogen.

Specifically, marijuana smoke contains MORE of the potent carcinogen than does tobacco smoke.

And to be honest, I'm not against smoking, I'm against cancer.

It's funny, for those of you that will start this fall, you'll notice that no one smokes between classes in the beginning (they don't want to look bad)! Then, one by one start to "come out of the closet", next thing you know, you'll have 20 classmates that regularly smokes!

Originally posted by ItsGavinC
One joint has 1.5x as many carcinogens one cig, so go ahead and feed that cancer!

Benzopyrene causes genetic damage to lung cells that is identical to the damage observed in the DNA of malignant tumors of the lungs. The aveage marijuana joint contains 30 nanograms of this carcinogen.

Specifically, marijuana smoke contains MORE of the potent carcinogen than does tobacco smoke.

And to be honest, I'm not against smoking, I'm against cancer.
:laugh:
Gavin with all due respect, I'm surprised to hear such an ignorant view from a future doctor. You should be better trained to determine the credibility of data and learn how to interpret it.
Don't believe those stupid gov't commercials
How big is that one joing? They can vary in size greatly
Most people share that joint in groups and don't smoke it entirely by themselves
Plus an occasional smoker might smoke only once a week, month,.....etc
There are also water bongs and vaporizers that clean the smoke from carcinogens. Gavin use your mind before trusting your government. There's a reason they don't release hard data, even though they've been researching pot for the past 50 years. Until they figure out how to profit off pot it will remain illegal
"Don't believe everything you read in Time magazine"

It is illegal to smoke indoors everywhere in CA except in private residences. I'm pretty sure beaches are still ok to smoke at (at least I still see people smoke there all the time).

Yah-E is right about ppl smoking in dental school. You'll be surprised how many ppl smoke at your school. Or at least at Temple, there seems to be quite a few smokers in each class. Heck, even some of our instructor's smoke!

If people want to smoke more power to them, it's their choice. I smoke a cigar or 2 a month in the summer and an occasional cigarette. I was known to play a little bob marley if you catch my drift but have not in a while. The one thing I do hate is smoking in public, I wish Mn would adopt the no smoking in public law. But Yah E stated it best smokers come out of the wood work. We take smoke breaks sometimes in preclinical labs, it's a nice break in the day, and you see all types of students and faculty.

I see no problem with smoking pot as long as it is on your own time like on the weekend. Yes it is illegal but so is drinking underage and a lot of us were guilty of that .

I have a funny weed story,

In highschool just for the hell of it I decided to grow a plant from seeds. I had it growing in my kitchen (near the windows for sunlight) for like a month and by that time it was like 3 feet tall and leaves everywhere. And when my parents would ask me what that was I told them it was for my biology experiment at school. Thank goodness for gullible parents.:clap: Funny thing though I never did smoke it, I just gave it away to my friend when the smell was getting out of control. I think he ended up planting it in some random field. Stupid, but true story.

Originally posted by anamod
If people want to smoke more power to them, it's their choice. I smoke a cigar or 2 a month in the summer and an occasional cigarette. I was known to play a little bob marley if you catch my drift but have not in a while. The one thing I do hate is smoking in public, I wish Mn would adopt the no smoking in public law. But Yah E stated it best smokers come out of the wood work. We take smoke breaks sometimes in preclinical labs, it's a nice break in the day, and you see all types of students and faculty.

I see no problem with smoking pot as long as it is on your own time like on the weekend. Yes it is illegal but so is drinking underage and a lot of us were guilty of that .

In Canada, drinking you only have to be 19. At least in ONtario where I'm from hehehee... American suckers!

As far as Dr. Rob's quotes, most people I know smoke pot to relieve stress, not to add to it.

As far as Gavin goes, nothing like skewing data to fit your argument. It's not accurate to compare 1 joint to 1 cigarette, because most cigarette smokers smoke multiple cigarettes per day, whereas I'd pay money to see someone smoke a "pack" worth of joints. Hey, with that ability to twist data, you should work for the democratic campaign ;) Oh, and also, it's someone's choice if they want to get cancer, not yours to make for them.

In pharmacology last week, a classmate raised his hand and asked our pharm prof (a very distinguished guy who has multiple degrees etc) what he thought about marijuana being a schedule 1 drug. He went on to say that he thinks it's no different than alcohol or nicotine and it should be legalized, because they let people drink and smoke even though it's bad for them, so why not pot.

Speaking of smoking, right before I start Temple Ill be in Central America and will be making a stop in Cuba, so I was wondering how much can I get for Cuban cigars in the States?

How much could I sell a Cohiba and a Monte Cristo for?

Also, I know Nicaragua has great cigars as well (not as famous as Cubans obviously), but I wanna know if Nicaraguan cigars also have any value in the US?

whats really funny is how many people here are upset about the fact that some people think smoking pot is bad.

do we really need to be told that smoking pot is bad? and then to be upset about being told that is even more ridiculous.

as far as people starting to smoke in dental school one by one, man i hope i won't be one of them. it's been almost 2 months since i quit and the urges (anatomy lab midterm) to smoke again are absolutely killing me.

I think people are sick of the utterly narrowminded generalizations we hear from people. I know several people who smoke the occasional joint and are in medical and dental school right now.

People are also sick of those who seemingly cannot apply their own reasoning to the propaganda that floats around.

Here's my point of view on the gonj:
If you smoke, great, keep it to yourself and don't publicize the fact that you enjoy something that other people may find repulsive. If you don't smoke, great, but don't crack down on those who do... Yah it's not good for them, but hey you can't hold everyone?s hand? Yes, it is illegal.

I?ve seen my fair share of lives hammered over by marijuana (just plain apathy and low self confidence as a result of constant smoking), but I also know a ton of super intelligent people who talk to Sampson quite often? One of my roommates is a huge stoner, by some definitions, and is a Fulbright scholar. It depends on the individual. I've seen more people with COPD (cigarettes), none of whom ever smoked marijuana, who thought it was the worst stuff in the world. Hah, the hilarity. Either way, we should all be concerned with what it does to teeth?. I wonder if there is a correlation between caries and marijuana induced munchies? That?s some research I could get into?.

Any of you dental wizards ever taken Adderall or Ritalin? Just curious?I?ve seen a ton of people at the library sneek one here or there.

Not sure how relevant this is, but here is a good one from Dental Town. Drug addiction and the health professions?what an enigma.

One Dentists Story

Originally posted by Zurich5
Here's my point of view on the gonj:
If you smoke, great, keep it to yourself and don't publicize the fact that you enjoy something that other people may find repulsive. If you don't smoke, great, but don't crack down on those who do... Yah it's not good for them, but hey you can't hold everyone?s hand? Yes, it is illegal.

I?ve seen my fair share of lives hammered over by marijuana (just plain apathy and low self confidence as a result of constant smoking), but I also know a ton of super intelligent people who talk to Sampson quite often? One of my roommates is a huge stoner, by some definitions, and is a Fulbright scholar. It depends on the individual. I've seen more people with COPD (cigarettes), none of whom ever smoked marijuana, who thought it was the worst stuff in the world. Hah, the hilarity. Either way, we should all be concerned with what it does to teeth?. I wonder if there is a correlation between caries and marijuana induced munchies? That?s some research I could get into?.

Any of you dental wizards ever taken Adderall or Ritalin? Just curious?I?ve seen a ton of people at the library sneek one here or there.
Caries may be an issue, but oral cancer and periodontal disease are the most prominent threats from long-term smoking (or chewing). Smoke up, folks!

Originally posted by aphistis
Caries may be an issue, but oral cancer and periodontal disease are the most prominent threats from long-term smoking (or chewing). Smoke up, folks!

You mean to tell me that smoking marijuana causes cancer and periodontal disease! Get right out of town, man!

Originally posted by Zurich5
You mean to tell me that smoking marijuana causes cancer and periodontal disease! Get right out of town, man!
It's more smoking *anything* than smoking marijuana in particular.

Physical dependence on Marijuana has not been established: http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/0509.html.

(Since then researchers have been able to create withdrawal symptoms in laboratory animals only when: 1. very high doses are administer for a long time, and 2. A THC antigonist is administered. Both have to happen for withdrawal to manifest itself. Sound like it's about as addictive as (legal) coffee. For more info: http://www.psychiatry.wustl.edu/Resources/LiteratureList/2002/May/Maldonado.PDF )

There are people who do it everyday and others that do it once a month. I have seen one or two people who seemed to be psychologically addicted to it. That tends to happen to people who had nothing important going on in their lives before they started and marijuana becomes their life. I haven't ever seen the substance mess up the life of a person who was motivated and talented to pursue a respectable career. Alcohol, on the other hand has ruined the lives of otherwise motivated and talented people. You don't see junkies who are addicted to marijuana on the street. (there may be cases of perfectly good lives ruined by marijuana that I might not have heard of - if anyone has an example where some causality can be described please let us know).

As for cancer risk, a sampling every 2 weeks or so is much better than a person who smokes a pack of (legal) cigarettes a day. It's even less risk than someone who smokes a nice relaxing (legal) cigar every two weeks. If a person can't have a cigar every once in while over cancer risk then we might as well stop eating barbequed chicken and grilled steaks or worse grilled vegatables that tend to char pretty easily.

Originally posted by sxr71
As for cancer risk, a sampling every 2 weeks or so is much better than a person who smokes a pack of (legal) cigarettes a day. It's even less risk than someone who smokes a nice relaxing (legal) cigar every two weeks. If a person can't have a cigar every once in while over cancer risk then we might as well stop eating barbequed chicken and grilled steaks or worse grilled vegatables that tend to char pretty easily.
Yes, the carcinogenic and perio effects are dose-dependent. I'm hardly any sort of expert, but more exposure is more likely to cause disease, less exposure is less likely, and any exposure increases the likelihood compared to no exposure. No Chicken Little antics here; it's all pretty intuitive.

Originally posted by aphistis
Yes, the carcinogenic and perio effects are dose-dependent. I'm hardly any sort of expert, but more exposure is more likely to cause disease, less exposure is less likely, and any exposure increases the likelihood compared to no exposure. No Chicken Little antics here; it's all pretty intuitive.

Let me start by saying that my post wasn't "aimed" at you or anyone else. My point was that recreational marijuana user subjects themselves to a far less carcinogenic material than your average tobacco user despite the fact that gram for gram Marijauna contains a higher dose of carcinogenic substances. You just don't find too many people frowning on people who might smoke a cigar every 2 weeks as you find people ready to lash out at people who might smoke a tiny amount of marijuana every two weeks. Many people (not you - as you have shown impartiality to the source of the smoke) will lecture an occasional marijuana user who smokes every 2 weeks and not have a word to say to the occasional cigar smoke about the risks.

In any case marijuana need not be smoked, as the brownie form demonstrates.

Just to be clear on motivations behind my posts, I want to add that the last time I did anything like that was 4 years ago, and it has been done only 3 times in my life. I'm writing this because I think it is stupid to hear all sorts of reasons why marijuana is so much worse than tobacco which is intensely addictive, consumed in higher amounts and a cancer risk, or alcohol which has the demonstrated capability to cause lives to be ruined.