Smoking during MCAT breaks?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Beef Stroganoff

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Let's assume I already know smoking is bad and focus on the question at hand. I have the MCAT on Wednesday and I was wondering if I would be able to smoke during the breaks? The official guide says I can only access food, water, and medication. I tried searching but couldn't really find any recent answers to the question.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think so. From past experiences, one of the testing centers didn't mind if we walked outside the testing center to stretch our feet on the floor (we were on the 7th floor) but they kept an eye on you. The other testing center didn't monitor who were using the communal bathrooms on the floor and I would admittedly say that at this center, someone could have smoked during their breaks (even if they weren't allowed to).

Honestly, I'm not trying to do any kind of sketchy bathroom smoking during the exam. What about snus(oral tobacco pouches) or nicotine gum. I might just have to deal with not having a smoke, but that's really not ideal for such a high stress exam.

Honestly, I'm not trying to do any kind of sketchy bathroom smoking during the exam. What about snus(oral tobacco pouches) or nicotine gum. I might just have to deal with not having a smoke, but that's really not ideal for such a high stress exam.

Oh no what I meant is, at that location is that you could have stepped outside and smoked near the entrance of the office space where the exam was held on the ground floor and I don't think you would have been stopped. I wouldn't recommend taking the risk though.

Members don't see this ad :)

Most test centers don't mind if you chew gum so nicotine gum would be an appropriate alternative.

My testing center wouldn't let you leave the designated area, so you couldn't go outside, can't go back to your car... And you can't leave for lunch. So be sure to bring something like a subway sandwich. I had a prometrix testing center so maybe different companies have different procedures though.

My testing center wouldn't let you leave the designated area, so you couldn't go outside, can't go back to your car... And you can't leave for lunch. So be sure to bring something like a subway sandwich. I had a prometrix testing center so maybe different companies have different procedures though.

I think most are prometrix. The testing center I had wouldn't monitor who was going to the bathroom for the most part despite being at least 10 test takers when I took it last year (and voided). I was kind of surprised how "lax" it was.

I think most are prometrix. The testing center I had wouldn't monitor who was going to the bathroom for the most part despite being at least 10 test takers when I took it last year (and voided). I was kind of surprised how "lax" it was.
Yeah the bathroom was a long walk from my testing room - so I used it every break for the walk mostly. It was in the back of the building where no staff was or anything. Going in and out of the test room was so thorough and secure (metal detector wand, roll up your pants and sleeves, finger print capture and signature comparison x2) it was strange that the bathroom was sort of a free zone.

Yeah the bathroom was a long walk from my testing room - so I used it every break for the walk mostly. It was in the back of the building where no staff was or anything. Going in and out of the test room was so thorough and secure (metal detector wand, roll up your pants and sleeves, finger print capture and signature comparison x2) it was strange that the bathroom was sort of a free zone.

I will admit that testing centers are definitely hit or miss. I remember hearing either really good reviews or bad reviews about a certain location in a major city.