SMP & applying to med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fbradley99

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I apologize if this is already explained on the form, but after reading a lot of posts I'm kind of confused. So I was accepted to a SMP that starts in Aug. However, I plan on retaking my mcat no later than June. I will be applying to med schools in June too. My question is that if I attend a SMP, will I not even be interviewed early in the cycle because I am doing a SMP??

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So I apologize if this is already explained on the form, but after reading a lot of posts I'm kind of confused. So I was accepted to a SMP that starts in Aug. However, I plan on retaking my mcat no later than June. I will be applying to med schools in June too. My question is that if I attend a SMP, will I not even be interviewed early in the cycle because I am doing a SMP?? My GPA is fine 3.6, it's just a low MCAT score.
Each med school you apply to can handle you differently.

Some will not take your SMP enrollment into account at all.

Some will put you in a "hold" pile until first semester SMP grades come out.

Some will put you into a "hold" pile pending your new MCAT score.

Some will do a combination of the above.

Whether you get interviews or not is a completely separate issue.

Best of luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a SMP student and I actually received most of my interview invites early in the cycle; I even got accepted in October. I felt like most of the schools that decided to interview me early didn't really put my SMP status in consideration; most of them I think would've invited me even without taking the SMP. But since science GPA is my weak point, telling them that I'm doing well in a med school class definitely is a great update letter. One of my interviewers though did request to see my grades at my interview.

I would strongly recommend that you finish your secondaries before your SMP starts because once it begins, getting good grades in your SMP should be your #1 focus.

I'm in a similar position except my GPA is low. I plan on taking the MCAT in late July or Aug. My SMP also starts in Aug though, so is it even worth applying if I probably won't even get interviews!

I'm in a similar position except my GPA is low. I plan on taking the MCAT in late July or Aug. My SMP also starts in Aug though, so is it even worth applying if I probably won't even get interviews!
Doesn't sound like you'll have a compelling app this summer, so no, I don't think you should apply this summer.

Weird focus on interviews in this thread. An interview isn't an acceptance - it's just a step in the process, and lots more people get interviewed than get accepted. Focus on the real goal.

Doobey Doob what SMP were you accepted to?