SMP & applying to med school

Started by fbradley99
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

fbradley99

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I apologize if this is already explained on the form, but after reading a lot of posts I'm kind of confused. So I was accepted to a SMP that starts in Aug. However, I plan on retaking my mcat no later than June. I will be applying to med schools in June too. My question is that if I attend a SMP, will I not even be interviewed early in the cycle because I am doing a SMP??
 
Last edited:
So I apologize if this is already explained on the form, but after reading a lot of posts I'm kind of confused. So I was accepted to a SMP that starts in Aug. However, I plan on retaking my mcat no later than June. I will be applying to med schools in June too. My question is that if I attend a SMP, will I not even be interviewed early in the cycle because I am doing a SMP?? My GPA is fine 3.6, it's just a low MCAT score.
Each med school you apply to can handle you differently.

Some will not take your SMP enrollment into account at all.

Some will put you in a "hold" pile until first semester SMP grades come out.

Some will put you into a "hold" pile pending your new MCAT score.

Some will do a combination of the above.

Whether you get interviews or not is a completely separate issue.

Best of luck to you.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a SMP student and I actually received most of my interview invites early in the cycle; I even got accepted in October. I felt like most of the schools that decided to interview me early didn't really put my SMP status in consideration; most of them I think would've invited me even without taking the SMP. But since science GPA is my weak point, telling them that I'm doing well in a med school class definitely is a great update letter. One of my interviewers though did request to see my grades at my interview.

I would strongly recommend that you finish your secondaries before your SMP starts because once it begins, getting good grades in your SMP should be your #1 focus.
 
I'm in a similar position except my GPA is low. I plan on taking the MCAT in late July or Aug. My SMP also starts in Aug though, so is it even worth applying if I probably won't even get interviews!
 
I'm in a similar position except my GPA is low. I plan on taking the MCAT in late July or Aug. My SMP also starts in Aug though, so is it even worth applying if I probably won't even get interviews!
Doesn't sound like you'll have a compelling app this summer, so no, I don't think you should apply this summer.

Weird focus on interviews in this thread. An interview isn't an acceptance - it's just a step in the process, and lots more people get interviewed than get accepted. Focus on the real goal.