SMP Good Choice For Me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jason_

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that I'm able to start getting some clinical shadowing experience (after lockdowns have lifted) I'm trying to decide what my next step is academically. My pre-reqs are complete but between 2 undergraduate degrees there's no chance at increasing my GPA really so am wondering with these stats (and the fact that they range from 7-12 years old) if an SMP is in my best interest to show I can academically handle rigorous coursework still.

2006-2010 was my B.S. in Biology
2013-2015 was my post-bacc in Computer Science

Screen Shot 2022-05-08 at 9.39.09 PM.png

My main focus right now is getting clinical hours but I can't ignore the fact that my GPA is a big red flag (mainly my sGPA).

Members don't see this ad.

What's your MCAT? I would suggest killing the MCAT and applying early and broadly at DO programs and if that doesn't work out, then do an SMP. Your gpa won't get you screened out at most school. Not an expert, but please avoid an SMP if you can. They are NOT easy. However, if you want MD only then yeah maybe an SMP could work, but again, still not easy.

Thank you! My MCAT was 512 but it's from August 2020, so if I'm applying next cycle I will most likely need to retake it as it will expire (and be aiming for a higher score). I will definitely be applying to DO and MD very broadly, no real preference between them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to disagree and say you absolutely do a SMP. Your sGPA makes you dead on arrival at most MD and DO schools. Plus as a career changer, you'll need to display 2 big things: 1) why medicine and 2) can you handle it?

A SMP will also offer built-in MCAT prep, which you may need to retake depending on the statutes required by the schools you'll consider applying to. Some have strict < 3 years requirements, but others are more generous and accept some as old as 5 years.

Best of luck.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
I'm going to disagree and say you absolutely do a SMP. Your sGPA makes you dead on arrival at most MD and DO schools. Plus as a career changer, you'll need to display 2 big things: 1) why medicine and 2) can you handle it?

A SMP will also offer built-in MCAT prep, which you may need to retake depending on the statutes required by the schools you'll consider applying to. Some have strict < 3 years requirements, but others are more generous and accept some as old as 5 years.

Best of luck.
I did two SMPs before I finally got into med school. I did well at both, and I still couldn’t get into med school with my 1st one. The second SMP was a life changer.

SMP is absolutely necessary for MD but for DO? I think it’s worth applying without the SMP first. idk I’ve seen too many people get into DO programs with OP’s stats. There’s no guarantee you’ll do well in a SMP either. If anything, I’ve seen a lot of people with 3.3+ gpas from undergrad do an SMP to avoid MCAT and they end up doing worse and failing out the program.

If you do choose to do an SMP, please please please choose wisely. Not every SMP is worth it and honestly some of them don’t keep their word even if you do meet their gpa minimum (myself and some of my classmates can attest to this).

I did two SMPs before I finally got into med school. I did well at both, and I still couldn’t get into med school with my 1st one. The second SMP was a life changer.

SMP is absolutely necessary for MD but for DO? I think it’s worth applying without the SMP first. idk I’ve seen too many people get into DO programs with OP’s stats. There’s no guarantee you’ll do well in a SMP either. If anything, I’ve seen a lot of people with 3.3+ gpas from undergrad do an SMP to avoid MCAT and they end up doing worse and failing out the program.

If you do choose to do an SMP, please please please choose wisely. Not every SMP is worth it and honestly some of them don’t keep their word even if you do meet their gpa minimum (myself and some of my classmates can attest to this).
No med school is doing the OP any favors by admitting them when their GPAs show that they can't handle med school. My own school would reject the OP.

So, OP, yes, an SMP is required, OR a DIY post-bac.

Read this:

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks @Goro and @Darrow O'Lykos for your advice, I'll start looking more seriously at SMP now to prove I can handle the academic side of med school. Obviously this is a riskier route financially.

@rblack17 do you have advice for how/where you researched what SMP programs are the most legit or have ties to medical schools?

Thanks @Goro and @Darrow O'Lykos for your advice, I'll start looking more seriously at SMP now to prove I can handle the academic side of med school. Obviously this is a riskier route financially.

@rblack17 do you have advice for how/where you researched what SMP programs are the most legit or have ties to medical schools?
I know a lot about the DO ones. I did 2 myself, and if you want more info, DM me. No one from my first SMP got interviews anywhere, much less an MD acceptance. At my second SMP, multiple people got interviews elsewhere and even MD acceptances. I cannot recommend my current SMP enough. However, I'm not sure if there is a huge difference between MD and DO SMPs. You might wanna ask Goro.

I know a lot about the DO ones. I did 2 myself, and if you want more info, DM me. No one from my first SMP got interviews anywhere, much less an MD acceptance. At my second SMP, multiple people got interviews elsewhere and even MD acceptances. I cannot recommend my current SMP enough. However, I'm not sure if there is a huge difference between MD and DO SMPs. You might wanna ask Goro.
I don't keep track on the differences between SMPs. Gtown and UPenn seem to be really harsh in terms of accepting their own SMP students though.

@rblack17 I'm considering SMP as my absolute last effort to pursue a med degree. I actually prefer DO, and have been accepted to a DO school's SMP program already. I'm not sure if I want to risk it though. Are you willing to discuss further via PM? Id love insight about your program. Thanks!

To OP, I think that you could definitely benefit from an SMP and that it will greatly improve your chances for matriculation to medical school. I had a similar science GPA to yours (3.1-3.2), and with my sGPA in my SMP being a 3.8-3.9 I was a much stronger contender. This was a big part of what ultimately got me into an allopathic medical school.

SMPs that have conditional acceptance to a connected medical school are excellent options, but usually, those conditional acceptances are quite stringent and are for a limited quantity of seats. Personally, my SMP did not have a connection with that but demonstrating I could rock out on the academic work made medical schools more confident in my academic ability.

Edit: It is also important to keep in mind that your GPA from an SMP is not combined with your undergrad GPA, they are are seen separately. This was the case at most places, and at least how it was on medical school applications when I applied years ago (mid 2010s).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user