This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dreamer73

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! This is my first time posting on SDN but I'm really in a bind and need help deciding on the following SMPs! Tufts, EVMS, CWRU-physiology, Drexel IMS, Georgetown.

I don't qualify for the guaranteed interview from CWRU due to a much lower GPA than required.I live in FL so they would all be considered out of state. I'm mostly looking for which program would give me the best shot at getting into medical school after the program but I'm conflicted between going with name recognition or cost. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Have you been accepted to each program? I would probably consider a combination of location and cost. All of these programs look great, so as long as you excel, I imagine they’ll likely help your med school application equally. Good luck!

Have you been accepted to each program? I would probably consider a combination of location and cost. All of these programs look great, so as long as you excel, I imagine they’ll likely help your med school application equally. Good luck!
Yes, I’ve been accepted into each one. I’ll definitely have to do some more research on locations this weekend but in terms of cost, Tufts is the most expensive and Drexel is the least (half of tufts). Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would say that if you're trying to go straight from the SMP to med school, that EVMS is best. I would also consider applying to Toledo, as their rates of getting into medschool straight out of SMP year are ~70% (like EVMS). Tufts and Drexel only let you apply to med school after the SMP is over, meaning you would have to take a year off after SMP year, and Georgetown linkage is one of the weakest in the country, and is infamous for being a ridiculously difficult program--the average program GPA upon completion of the program is like a 3.0 or a 3.3 (look on SDN program page for more info).

Def look into Toledo and EVMS; I liked those two especially because of the close-knit community, relatively smaller class size, extensive advising and mentorship from faculty and upperclassmen, etc. It honestly even shows in their program pages on SDN (both have two SMP alums on SDN who have been volunteering their help and answering everyones questions for like 3 years lol) . Added benefit with Toledo is that they give you in state tuition after the SMP year if you choose to stay in OH (at any of their 6 med schools!); EVMS does not have this but is still a solid choice.

For completion's sake, I was also accepted to Georgetown, but immediately turned it down as soon my Toledo acceptance came in, and EVMS acceptance came soon after, too. I am still deciding between Toledo and EVMS, but honestly would be happy with either choice! Its definitely not too late to apply to Toledo, but if you dont feel like starting a new app (understandable tbh) i would go with EVMS! just my 2 cents :) Good luck!

Last edited:
I would say that if you're trying to go straight from the SMP to med school, that EVMS is best. I would also consider applying to Toledo, as their rates of getting into medschool straight out of SMP year are ~70% (like EVMS). Tufts and Drexel only let you apply to med school after the SMP is over, meaning you would have to take a year off after SMP year, and Georgetown linkage is one of the weakest in the country, and is infamous for being a ridiculously difficult program--the average program GPA upon completion of the program is like a 3.0 or a 3.3 (look on SDN program page for more info).

Def look into Toledo and EVMS; I liked those two especially because of the close-knit community, relatively smaller class size, extensive advising and mentorship from faculty and upperclassmen, etc. It honestly even shows in their program pages on SDN (both have two SMP alums on SDN who have been volunteering their help and answering everyones questions for like 3 years lol) . Added benefit with Toledo is that they give you in state tuition after the SMP year if you choose to stay in OH (at any of their 6 med schools!); EVMS does not have this but is still a solid choice.

For completion's sake, I was also accepted to Georgetown, but immediately turned it down as soon my Toledo acceptance came in, and EVMS acceptance came soon after, too. I am still deciding between Toledo and EVMS, but honestly would be happy with either choice! Its definitely not too late to apply to Toledo, but if you dont feel like starting a new app (understandable tbh) i would go with EVMS! just my 2 cents :) Good luck!

I really appreciate your thorough advice! I really needed to hear this because I'm definitely leaning towards EVMS due to the small school and just reading people's experiences on sdn. I just wasn't sure whether or not to bite the bullet and take out 80K for tufts or something but everyone I've talked to has advised against it.

Do you know if CWRU has the same benefit in terms of the in state tuition for OH? I applied to Cincinnati (it was my top choice) because of this added benefit too (and obviously the great program) but it was the only one I was rejected from :(

no of course anytime! Also the thing with CWRU is that it is a private institittion, so IS and OOS is the same price. Not sure if living at Case for a year will classify you as IS, but it should(?) I just cant personally recommend CWRU for an SMP because I don't know how strong if at all their linkage is :/ At Toledo they make it a point to talk about the IS tuition after a year and go so far as to tell you the steps to apply for it, which is how I knew it was even a thing LOL

Last edited:
no of course anytime! Also the thing with CWRU is that it is a private institittion, so IS and OOS is the same price. Not sure if living at Case for a year will classify you as IS, but it should(?) I just cant personally recommend CWRU for an SMP because I don't know how strong if at all their linkage is :/ At Toledo they make it a point to talk about the IS tuition after a year and go so far as to tell you the steps to apply for it, which is how I knew it was even a thing LOL

also ditto on Cincy :(
What made you decide on Toledo over EVMS or Cincinnati?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

What made you decide on Toledo over EVMS or Cincinnati?

Hey there,

Frankly it’s a toss up for me between Toledo and EVMS, but one thing I liked about Toledo is that they give u instate classification after one year. Ohio has, to my knowledge, 6 MD schools, and so OH is a good state to be in state for. EVMS does not do this.

I would have applied to Cincy had I not gotten into Toledo, and I withdrew my Cincy app once I’d gotten into Toledo for several reasons— first, the guaranteed interview is only after* you graduate the program, meaning you would take an additional year off, which I didn’t want to do. If I had been willing to take an additional year off tho, I would definitely have gone with Cincy. Cincy publishes the rates of med school acceptances on their site openly, and I believe this or last year they had approx 56% (don’t quote me) get into a med school within the year. Toledo has a higher rate of within-the-year matriculation both to their own MD school and outside.

Both Toledo and EVMS are solid, solid choices and tbh I’m still deciding between the two. But I will almost definitely be attending Toledo, mostly bc money, small class size, mentorship with past MSBS-now-M1 class, and mandatory research participation.

Also, idk if this is cause for concern, but now that I think about it, the EVMS MM SDN page mentions that approx the top 50% of the MM class gets into EVMS MD. At Toledo, they have come close to taking the whole class before. Just my two cents after lots of research on the SDN page for both EVMS and Toledo highly highly recommend checking out both SDN pages! Happy to answer more qs/PM about anything if needed.

Also to clarify, I would still have been 100% happy going to EVMS if Toledo had rejected me.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Hey there,

Frankly it’s a toss up for me between Toledo and EVMS, but one thing I liked about Toledo is that they give u instate classification after one year. Ohio has, to my knowledge, 6 MD schools, and so OH is a good state to be in state for. EVMS does not do this.

I would have applied to Cincy had I not gotten into Toledo, and I withdrew my Cincy app once I’d gotten into Toledo for several reasons— first, the guaranteed interview is only after* you graduate the program, meaning you would take an additional year off, which I didn’t want to do. If I had been willing to take an additional year off tho, I would definitely have gone with Cincy. Cincy publishes the rates of med school acceptances on their site openly, and I believe this or last year they had approx 56% (don’t quote me) get into a med school within the year. Toledo has a higher rate of within-the-year matriculation both to their own MD school and outside.

Both Toledo and EVMS are solid, solid choices and tbh I’m still deciding between the two. But I will almost definitely be attending Toledo, mostly bc money, small class size, mentorship with past MSBS-now-M1 class, and mandatory research participation.

Also, idk if this is cause for concern, but now that I think about it, the EVMS MM SDN page mentions that approx the top 50% of the MM class gets into EVMS MD. At Toledo, they have come close to taking the whole class before. Just my two cents after lots of research on the SDN page for both EVMS and Toledo highly highly recommend checking out both SDN pages! Happy to answer more qs/PM about anything if needed.

Also to clarify, I would still have been 100% happy going to EVMS if Toledo has rejected me.

This is exactly the answer I was looking for, thank you for the detailed answer. Additionally, is the Toledo SMP still accepting new applicants?

This is exactly the answer I was looking for, thank you for the detailed answer. Additionally, is the Toledo SMP still accepting new applicants?

Honestly not sure I would send an email to the program director! His name is Dr. Guillermo Vasquez (email: [email protected]) he always replied fairly quickly to my emails. Pls apply and join us

Honestly not sure I would send an email to the program director! His name is Dr. Guillermo Vasquez (email: [email protected]) he always replied fairly quickly to my emails. Pls apply and join us

Haha, we shall see. Thank you for that info, I'll try to get in contact with him.

I spoke to a rep and Drexel IMS actually encourages people to apply during the SMP. I think there's a pretty high linkage rate too. Just my two cents, I really like this program (and the cost lol) and I would have already put in my deposit if I had heard back from Temple.

oh my b!! OP, please keep this in mind :) thanks for letting me know!