SMP in progress while applying during 2019 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shrimpmonkey

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I've been planning on applying to a 1 year SMP for the fall semester with my MCAT score, but unfortunately I didn't do as well as I hoped. They have an option to apply for spring semester which will probably start in January and end in December. If I apply to medical schools in the summer of 2019 while still in the SMP, will medical schools be able to see my grades or will it still be in progress? I have a uGPA of 3.19 so my overall question is would I be screened out because of my gpa since my SMP will not be completed yet?

Members don't see this ad.

I've been planning on applying to a 1 year SMP for the fall semester with my MCAT score, but unfortunately I didn't do as well as I hoped. They have an option to apply for spring semester which will probably start in January and end in December. If I apply to medical schools in the summer of 2019 while still in the SMP, will medical schools be able to see my grades or will it still be in progress? I have a uGPA of 3.19 so my overall question is would I be screened out because of my gpa since my SMP will not be completed yet?
If you've completed one-two terms by the time you apply in summer 2019, you will be obliged to submit an official transcript from the SMP at the time you apply, so those grades will be readily apparent on the med school application. By the end of summer and end of fall terms (assuming it's year-round) you'll have two more grade reports you'll want to let med schools know about, as they're probably going to want to see sustained excellent academics before they make a decision on your file.

How schools will see those final grades depends on the med school application system through which you plan to apply: TMDSAS, AMCAS. or AACOMAS.