SMP List: January 2009

Started by DrMidlife
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The following are one-year graduate level programs, for folks who have already completed prereqs and have taken the MCAT. These programs exist for no other reason than to buff med school app credentials, and are not to be confused with traditional masters programs.

These programs meet at least 2 of the following criteria:
1. The whole point is to get you into med school
2. Single year program
3. In class with, and graded against, actual medical students.

The list currently only includes programs hosted at MD schools. I'll be adding programs at DO schools etc. shortly. Comments and edits from current/former students in these programs are strongly encouraged. Click on the underlined program name to get to the website.

2008 list

Georgetown: The Special Master's Program in Physiology (SMP)
Location: Washington, D.C.
Hosted by: Department of Physiology & Biophysics
Year started: 1975
Med school integration: 6 medical school courses, graded against the med school curve
Program duration: 2 semesters
Program starts: early August
Program ends: mid-June
Thesis requirement: Library research paper
Tuition: 36000 IS/OOS '09
Min GPA: 3.0
Min MCAT: 28
Class size: 182
App cost: $125.00
App opens: Dec 1
App closes: May 15
MCAT prep: no
Promises: 50% get accepted somewhere during SMP year, 85% total get accepted somewhere, historically 15% get in at Gtown. Strong support for med school apps during SMP year.
Inside info: see post #3 below

Cincinnati: MS in Physiology
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Hosted by: Department of Molecular and Cellular Physiology
Year started: 2006
Med school integration: 3 medical school courses, graded against the med school curve
Program duration: 4 quarters
Program starts: early August
Program ends: 3rd wk of July
Thesis requirement: Literature research review paper
Tuition: 27000 IS, 27400 OOS '09
Min GPA: 3.0
Min MCAT: 27
Class size: 22
App cost: $100.00
App opens: Dec 1
App closes: Jun 1
MCAT prep: no
Promises: Establishes Ohio residency. More than 50% accepted somewhere during SMP year. Class of '07 is at 86%. Strong support for med school apps during SMP year.

EVMS: M.S. in Biomedical Sciences - Medical Masters
Location: Norfolk, VA
Hosted by: School of Health Professions
Year started: <= 2001
Med school integration: 7 medical school courses, graded against the med school curve
Program duration: 2 semesters
Program starts: early August
Program ends: mid-May
Thesis requirement: Library research paper
Tuition: 26756 IS/OOS '08
Min GPA: 2.75
Min MCAT: 26
Class size: 20
App cost: $60.00
App opens: Oct 1
App closes: Apr 1
MCAT prep: no
Promises: 85% accepted somewhere.


Boston: Master of Arts in Medical Sciences (MAMS)
Location: Boston, MA
Hosted by: Division of Graduate Medical Sciences
Year started: 1986
Med school integration: 24 of 32 required units are medical school courses
Program duration: 3 semesters
Program starts: early September
Program ends: mid-August
Thesis requirement: Lab or library-based thesis
Tuition: 36540 IS/OOS '08
Min GPA: 3.0
Min MCAT: 25
Class size: 220
App cost: $60 online, $50 paper
App opens: ?
App closes: Mar 31
MCAT prep: no
Promises: As of y2k, 552/661 accepted at an MD school
Requirements: frequently takes 2 years to complete

Tufts: MS in Biomedical Sciences (MBS)
Location: Boston, MA
Hosted by: School of Medicine
Year started: 2007
Med school integration: 7 of 9 core courses are identical or based on medical school courses, same faculty, typically same exams
Program duration: 2 semesters
Program starts: late August
Program ends: mid-August
Thesis requirement: Lab or library-based thesis
Tuition: 30975 IS/OOS '08
Min GPA: ?
Min MCAT: ?
Class size: 75
App cost: $70.00
App opens: ?
App closes: Jul 15
MCAT prep: yes
Promises: Top 20% of class gets automatic interview.

Tulane ACP: Anatomy Certification Program
Location: New Orleans, LA
Hosted by: Department of Structural and Cellular Biology
Year started: 1996
Med school integration: 2 medical school courses with labs, graded against the med school curve
Program duration: 2-3 semesters
Program starts: early June
Program ends: mid-December or mid-May
Thesis requirement: none
Tuition: 12500 IS/OOS '08
Min GPA: none
Min MCAT: none
Class size: unknown
App cost: $75.00
App opens: ?
App closes: Apr 11
MCAT prep: no
Promises: 90% accepted somewhere, 94% accepted at Tulane last 5 years
Requirements: must be waitlisted at a med school to apply

Temple: Advanced Core in Medical Sciences Program (ACMS)
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Hosted by: School of Medicine
Year started: 2008
Med school integration: Grad school courses taught by med school faculty
Program duration: 2 semesters
Program starts: early September
Program ends: mid-May
Thesis requirement: none
Tuition: 17000 IS, 23500 OOS '08
Min GPA: 3.3
Min MCAT: ?
Class size: ?
App cost: ?
App opens: ?
App closes: Jun 1
MCAT prep: yes
Promises: guaranteed entry into Temple
Requirements: must submit SAT score > 1200, must interview in May/June

USF: Masters in Medical Science with a concentration in Interdisciplinary Medical Science (IMS)
Location: Tampa, FL
Hosted by: College of Medicine Office of Student Diversity and Enrichment
Year started: <= 2004
Med school integration: all medical school year 1 courses except clinicals
Program duration: 3 semesters
Program starts: early July
Program ends: mid-May
Thesis requirement: none
Tuition: 8900 IS, 29900 OOS '08
Min GPA: 3.0
Min MCAT: 22
Class size: 15
App cost: $30
App opens: ?
App closes: Feb 27
MCAT prep: no
Promises: Program recommended for those with strong ECs, strong Letters, but lacking slightly in numerical aspects.
Inside Info: GujuDoc’s comments

Drexel IMS: Interdepartmental Medical Science (IMS) Program
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Hosted by: Office of Professional Studies in Health Sciences
Year started: 1981
Med school integration: 6 medical school courses, graded against the med school curve
Program duration: one year
Program starts: early August
Program ends: mid-June
Thesis requirement: none
Tuition: 22650 IS/OOS '08
Min GPA: ?
Min MCAT: ?
Class size: 140
App cost: $65.00
App opens: ?
App closes: Jul 10
MCAT prep: no
Promises: B's in SMP and 27 MCAT guarantee Drexel interview. 60% to 85% w/B's or higher accepted somewhere during SMP year, 80% to 92% w/B's or higher total accepted somewhere

Drexel DPMS: Drexel Pathway to Medical School (DPMS) Program
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Hosted by: Office of Professional Studies in Health Sciences
Year started: 2003
Med school integration: 4 medical school courses, graded against the med school curve
Program duration: one year
Program starts: late June
Program ends: mid-June
Thesis requirement: none
Tuition: 22650 IS/OOS '08
Min GPA: 2.9
Min MCAT: 20
Class size: 25
App cost: $65.00
App opens: ?

App closes: May 8
MCAT prep: yes
Promises: B's in SMP and 27 MCAT guarantee Drexel interview. 60% to 85% w/B's or higher accepted somewhere during SMP year, 80% to 92% w/B's or higher total accepted somewhere

VCU: Pre-Medical Basic Health Certificate Program
Location: Richmond, VA
Hosted by: School of Medicine Basic Science Departments
Year started: <= 2003
Med school integration: Grad school courses taught by med school faculty, six tracks to choose from
Program duration: 2 semesters
Program starts: mid-August
Program ends: mid-May
Thesis requirement: none
Tuition: 7224 IS, 15904 OOS '08
Min GPA: 2.8
Min MCAT: 22
Class size: ?
App cost: $50.00
App opens: ?
App closes: June
MCAT prep: no
Requirements: Must get a 3.0 to complete program. Anatomy min 3.0 GPA, min 25 MCAT. Biochem app deadline July 15, min GPA 3.4, min MCAT 25. Physio min GPA 3.0, min MCAT 24.

RFU: Master of Science in Biomedical Sciences
Location: Chicago, IL
Hosted by: Interprofessional Healthcare Studies Department
Year started: <= 2004
Med school integration: Grad school courses taught by med school faculty
Program duration: 3 quarters
Program starts: mid-August
Program ends: mid-May
Thesis requirement: none
Tuition: 36297 IS/OOS '08
Min GPA: ?
Min MCAT: ?
Class size: 100
App cost:
App opens: ?
App closes: Jun 15
MCAT prep: no

NYMC: Basic Medical Sciences Interdisciplinary Program, Accelerated Track
Location: Valhalla, NY
Hosted by: Graduate School of Basic Medical Sciences
Year started: <= 2003
Med school integration: 4 medical school courses
Program duration: one year
Program starts: August
Program ends: June
Thesis requirement: Literature review or thesis
Tuition: 23040 IS/OOS '08
Min GPA: 3.0
Min MCAT: 27.0
Class size: 25
App cost: $35
App opens: ?
App closes: Jul 1
MCAT prep: no
Promises: "Students who do well will be offered NYMC interviews."

Toledo: Masters Degree in Medical Sciences
Location: Toledo, OH
Hosted by: College of Graduate Studies
Year started: <= 2006
Med school integration: 4 medical school courses, graded against the med school curve
Program duration: 3 semesters
Program starts: late August
Program ends: early May
Thesis requirement: Journal paper review
Tuition: 16500 IS, 39450 OOS '07
Min GPA: 3.0
Min MCAT: 24
Class size: 35
App cost: $45.00
App opens: Mar 1
App closes: May 1
MCAT prep: no
Promises: Enrollment guarantees Toledo interview. Historically 65% get in somewhere.

UMDNJ Newark: Master of Science in Biomedical Sciences
Location: Newark, NJ
Hosted by: Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences (Newark)
Year started: <= 2003
Med school integration: can take medical school courses
Program duration: one or two years
Program starts: early September
Program ends: late June
Thesis requirement: elective research-based thesis
Tuition: 14216 IS, 17709 OOS '08
Min GPA: ?
Min MCAT: ?
Class size: 120
App cost: $40.00
App opens: ?
App closes: 1-Jun
MCAT prep: no
Promises:
Requirements: Must get 3.0 to graduate.

Loyola: M.A. in Medical Sciences
Location: Chicago, IL
Hosted by: Department of Biology
Year started: <= 2004
Med school integration: none
Program duration: 2 semesters
Program starts: late August
Program ends: early May
Thesis requirement: none
Tuition: 29040 IS/OOS '07
Min GPA: 3.0
Min MCAT: 25
Class size: ?
App cost: $50.00
App opens: ?
App closes: 7/1/2008
MCAT prep: no
Promises: 82% to 92% of graduates are now in med school

DrMidLife,

I just received an email from Seema Rampersad and USF has increased class size from 15 to 20 for IMS program. Just wanted to let you know. 🙂
 
You might want to PM her just to remind her. That said, when did she send you this email? Did she send it because you are an applicant or were you inquiring about the program? I'm asking because I'm an applicant and I didn't receive any email. I'm confused.

Thanks.
GujjuDoc,

I got that email yesterday. I had just inquired about it. I haven't applied yet. I'll definitely IM DrMidLife. Thanks for all your help, by the way. I don't know if you remember me but I am following the [ath you suggested me. 🙂

All the best to you.
 
Guju,

Could you email me that list of research/shadowing/volunteering around USF. I'm graduating this summer and most my ECs include ~1000 hours volunteering at a hospital during HIGH school and none during college.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What about this program? I didn't see you guys list it.

http://medicine.uchc.edu/prospective/postbac/index.html

I believe that is a postbac program but not necessarily an SMP by the criteria that DrMidlife used to define an official SMP. That is why it is not listed. it is still a good program but it wouldn't be a true SMP.

Well, it's as much an SMP as VCU is, and more to the point, it looks pretty good.

I got some work to do on this thread...
 
Also if you want easy shadowing/volunteering in one email [email protected]

That is the email for Ellen Kent. she runs a peds program called reach out and read. started at the BU Medical Center and spread across peds depts across the nation to promote early literacy. Read to the kids in the Waiting rooms and then shadow during the second shift. She has upcoming orientation dates either this month or next month.

That actually sounds amazing. Thanks.
 
Does an SMP use the amcas application?

And does the GPA min refering to the GPA calculated by the amcas application?
 
Does an SMP use the amcas application?

And does the GPA min refering to the GPA calculated by the amcas application?

It depends on the program you are applying to...some want the AMCAS calculated GPA..other use the GPA based n your transcript. Whether they use AMCAS or not should be stated on their website.
 
Last edited:
Does an SMP use the amcas application?

And does the GPA min refering to the GPA calculated by the amcas application?

Nope - AMCAS is only for entering med school classes. An SMP is technically under the graduate school division of its respective school/university, so the application is different.
 
Given the choice, can someone indicate to me the pros and cons of Drexel's IMS program vs. Boston U's MAMS program? At first glance at the curriculum, it just seemed that Drexel's was more science heavy with immunology and other science heavy courses where as Boston U's courses were heavy emphasis on research classes with a couple of classes on neuroscience and genetics. Which would look better on an application? Which school would look better on an application?
 
Given the choice, can someone indicate to me the pros and cons of Drexel's IMS program vs. Boston U's MAMS program? At first glance at the curriculum, it just seemed that Drexel's was more science heavy with immunology and other science heavy courses where as Boston U's courses were heavy emphasis on research classes with a couple of classes on neuroscience and genetics. Which would look better on an application? Which school would look better on an application?

The only relevant measure of SMP value is where the grads go, and how soon. Drexel publishes fairly current "rates of success" on their webpage, but they're not exactly open about where or when (anybody get in somewhere other than Drexel? anybody get in same year?). Boston has 5 year old numbers on their (can I say pathetic without pissing anybody off?) website, and offers no specifics about where/when grads go. You'll find a great deal more info about their grads here on SDN than from the schools. Contrast this with Cincinnati, which names and tracks each of their students; Georgetown, which apparently gets 90 students straight into a bunch of different schools and gets another 60-70 in somewhere/sometime; and EVMS, where you have to work pretty hard to NOT get right into EVMS. We get enough traffic here on SDN that if a school is making SMP success claims, they're corroborated here as we watch multiple individuals start from where you are, suck it up through a program, and get into med school.

That said, if you do well in any SMP that "belongs" to a med school, you'll get into med school within a year or two unless there's something wrong with your app or with you. You'll have to educate yourself about tiers and prestige and what schools are "name" schools, in order to get a sense of whether a random admissions committee member (adcom) at a random med school will have heard of an SMP and will have an opinion about its host school. One way to assess "tier" is through the (utterly bogus) US News rankings. Or you can look at the MSAR and try to make judgments from how many apps a school gets or the stats of its admitted students. Look through mdapps for SMP grads. Read every post on SDN and in the Yahoo physios (Georgetown) group until your eyes bleed.

I've never heard of adcoms caring about any particular aspect of an SMP curriculum. Adcoms, if they've even heard of SMPs, may or may not respect the premise of an SMP. They may or may not view an SMP year as sufficient counterevidence to your undergrad record. They may have been burned by a former student of the SMP you're in. There are no guarantees, you can't bet on any one school giving you love, and coming from behind academically, you need to be emotionally prepared to take what you can get. After all is said and done, you need to win a seat over an applicant who has the same MCAT score and a strong undergrad GPA. In other words, THIS is American Idol.

Clearly you're trying to be a smart consumer, which is great, but quite frankly the questions you're asking are too subjective for anybody to answer. We are a tricky, tricky demographic here in low GPA land.

In my situation, I would wait and reapply to other SMPs before I would do Drexel or Boston, based on having done all the stuff I've suggested above. Under no circumstances should you make a decision about your situation from this one data point.

Best of luck to you.
 
About Drexel DPMS: http://www.drexelmed.edu/Home/Acade.../DrexelPathwaytoMedicalSchoolDPMSProgram.aspx

It guarantees admission, not just the interview:

"Track 1 program students achieving a 3.00 graduate GPA, a minimum score of 7 Verbal Reasoning, 8 Physical Science, M Writing Sample, and 8 Biological Science on a new MCAT will retain their acceptance to the College of Medicine and begin studies in the fall. Track 2 program students achieving a minimum 3.00 graduate GPA and passing the Medical Immunology course also retain their acceptance and matriculate into the College of Medicine in the fall."
 
FYI I'm working on an update to this list, and I can't believe it but there are now 75 programs that look relevant, from collecting info just here in this forum. More than half are in the category of "postbacs with some structure that let you take more undergrad science after you're done with the prereqs" like UT Dallas. LOTS are not on the AAMC list. Maybe I'll keep this thread pure and put the non-SMPs in another thread.

Regardless, the number of pure SMPs has at least doubled in the last 2 years.
 
I'm currently in the Marshall Medical Sciences Master's program and I wrote a review here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=592703

Overall its a great program - the faculty are approachable and committed to your success. The coursework is difficult but manageable. Most of the students get accepted to Marshall Univ SOM or WV School of Osteopathic Med. Some of the courses are the same ones the medical students take. I'm starting at MUSOM in August. If you have any questions check out my post and feel free to PM me. Thanks!
mattch1
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hey just wanted to add to the rosalind franklin BMS program info. it's not "grad school" classes for the most part. it's just med school classes graded against the med students' curve. same tests and everything. just fyi. enrollment guarantees an interview at CMS.
 
Hey guys, I found out that although it says there is a 1200 SAT score req, it is not a rigid one, so you should apply anyway.

Now i has a question,😀

Does know the credibility of the part that says "guaranteed acceptance to temple?"
 
You will be accepted into their MD program automatically given that you meet their requirements (SMP GPA and MCAT score, iirc). I think getting into their SMP is most of the battle. After that, it's just a matter of keeping your head straight and working hard for the length the SMP.
 
I'm confused... So you don't need to fulfill any undergraduate GPA or MCAT requirements as long as you obtained a 1200 or higher on SAT to be accepted or atleast considered?

****, I got a 1200 on my SAT. This would be awesome.

Also, it says SAT average scores, so if i took it three times, the average of the three?

Hey guys, I found out that although it says there is a 1200 SAT score req, it is not a rigid one, so you should apply anyway.

Now i has a question,😀

Does know the credibility of the part that says "guaranteed acceptance to temple?"
 
Last edited:
I'm confused... So you don't need to fulfill any undergraduate GPA or MCAT requirements as long as you obtained a 1200 or higher on SAT to be accepted or atleast considered?

****, I got a 1200 on my SAT. This would be awesome.

Also, it says SAT average scores, so if i took it three times, the average of the three?
I dont know much about that program but i dont think there is an SMP/postbac program period that doesnt consider your GPA at all.. and as for as the average score thing someone said they arent that hardcore about it being exactly 1200.. GL
 
Minimum MCAT requirement listed for post-bac programs, can anyone tell me if that's minimum to get in or after you complete the program?
 
That's awsome, and i do have a lot of guju frnds which none of them wants to be called guju doc🙂. Thanks for the post
 
DrMidlife do you know anything about the legitimacy of having a distance learning MS degree from UF in Forensic Drug Chemistry or Medicinal Chemistry? I believe some of the professors might live in other countries...which might make an LOR difficult. I am an ugrad at UF so it wouldn't really be distance for me since it's through the college of pharmacy. I was considering it until I found out that it was distance learning. I.e. Online. I know that Tulane has a pharmacy program so I am not sure if it would equivalent.

My gut tells me NO


Just as commentary, seriously, why would an SMP do an overhaul of its web presence in Jan/Feb? VCU and now Drexel? We're well into the app season...

I'm on vacation but I'll clean up the first entry when I get back. Post updates here and I'll compile them like I did last year. Pretty clearly, the Tulane genetics/pharm/cellbio programs should be added back.
 
DrMidlife do you know anything about the legitimacy of having a distance learning MS degree from UF in Forensic Drug Chemistry or Medicinal Chemistry? I believe some of the professors might live in other countries...which might make an LOR difficult. I am an ugrad at UF so it wouldn't really be distance for me since it's through the college of pharmacy. I was considering it until I found out that it was distance learning. I.e. Online. I know that Tulane has a pharmacy program so I am not sure if it would equivalent.

My gut tells me NO

If you want to go to med school, and your GPA isn't competitive, then this program is inappropriate to your situation. I can't comment beyond that - I don't know your stats or goals.

Best of luck to you.
 
.Hi, I noticed that the Georgetown program has SMP written next to it, and I had thought that all the program included in the above list are SMPs. So I am wondering if the VCU: Pre-Medical Basic Health Certificate Program and the EVMS: M.S. in Biomedical Sciences - Medical Masters are also considered SMP programs or postbac? Also, if one had the option of choosing SMP or postbac which one is more beneficial especially with regard to a low GPA? .
 
With a 2.5 science and 3.0 cum gpa, pretty good ECs and 27 on the MCAT.. do I have a realistic chance at getting into a any post-bacc/SMP/masters program anywhere?
 
a 2.5 sGPA will limit you at some places but a 3.0 cGPA might get you a look somewhere.

If you want a top SMP, you'll prob have to do a year of UG classes (all science ones) and rock them to raise your sGPA, re-take the MCAT and then you'd have a shot at one of the better SMPs.
 
a 2.5 sGPA will limit you at some places but a 3.0 cGPA might get you a look somewhere.

If you want a top SMP, you'll prob have to do a year of UG classes (all science ones) and rock them to raise your sGPA, re-take the MCAT and then you'd have a shot at one of the better SMPs.

What do you think my chances are at an SMP that is not as reputable?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
.Hi, I noticed that the Georgetown program has SMP written next to it, and I had thought that all the program included in the above list are SMPs. So I am wondering if the VCU: Pre-Medical Basic Health Certificate Program and the EVMS: M.S. in Biomedical Sciences - Medical Masters are also considered SMP programs or postbac? Also, if one had the option of choosing SMP or postbac which one is more beneficial especially with regard to a low GPA? .
EVMS is an SMP. VCU isn't.

My definition of an SMP: you do the first year of med school to prove you can handle med school. Graded against the med school curve. More than half the curriculum is the same classes the med students are in. The program exists to get you into medical school and for no other reason.

If you can improve your undergrad cumulative GPA by taking more undergrad, then more undergrad is probably better than an SMP. Do the math and understand the parameters (such as for retakes) (keep reading in this forum for more info). In my opinion, 2 years of additional undergrad after getting a degree is a fair cutoff: if you can't get over 3.0 by then, don't keep doing undergrad.

You need more undergrad to demonstrate an upward trend, but more might not be enough. If more undergrad doesn't make you competitive (3.4 and up), then doing an SMP is a good option. An SMP is what you do when the only thing wrong with your med school app is your undergrad GPA.

Best of luck to you.
 
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew additional information about the health sciences concentration for the medical science master. I am currently looking into my options of post-bac or smp programs but I noticed a lot of them are very expensive and I can't really afford to stop working.

Well, my question is does anyone know someone or have done this program themselves and got into medical school or other professional school. Also how does the program work. Any information would help. Thanks!🙂
 
Does somebody graduating in August have any chance of getting into an SMP? Assume average stats. Say if he applied to every single one.
 
Does somebody graduating in August have any chance of getting into an SMP? Assume average stats. Say if he applied to every single one.
Your graduation date isn't typically a factor in the application process. It's your responsibility, not the SMP's, to manage graduating, moving, and matriculating in the SMP.

I don't know what start date other programs have, but EVMS med masters starts August 13 next summer.

Note that this is an obsolete thread - there's a newer thread in the sticky list at the top of the forum.

Best of luck to you.