SMP, MS in Bioethics or MPH?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

macinanay

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need to improve my GPA (cGPA 3.3, sGPA 3.1) and therefore want to apply to a post-bacc or graduate program before med school.

I could do a post-bacc/SMP which would demonstrate that I can perform at the level of a medical student (granted that I do well).

However, I'm thinking about applying for a Masters in Bioethics or in Public Health since I would be able to learn how to treat patients ethically and/or about preventive medicine and community health.

Which type of schooling would be beneficial for my application to med school?

Members don't see this ad.

2nd bachelor's post-bacc (for 1-2 years) for the extra undergrad or an SMP with linkage is what you should go for. MPH or Bioethics won't help as much as the aforementioned choices.

Members don't see this ad :)
play safe. Don't jump into SMP unless you're confident you can pull a 4.0 in medical school courses.

I would also recommend saving money and future by doing the 2nd bachelor's or you can do what I did for 3 semesters: taking upper level science classes without going for the 2nd bachelor's.

You can do this first, and if it's still not enough, then you can do an SMP and rock it with your science background.

play safe. Don't jump into SMP unless you're confident you can pull a 4.0 in medical school courses.

I would also recommend saving money and future by doing the 2nd bachelor's or you can do what I did for 3 semesters: taking upper level science classes without going for the 2nd bachelor's.

You can do this first, and if it's still not enough, then you can do an SMP and rock it with your science background.

I completely disagree. It depends on your MCAT. If you get an MCAT around 30 and do great in an SMP (doesn't NEED to be a 4.0), then you'll be fine based on numbers. If you think you can do well in an SMP then go for it. I personally wouldn't re-take undergrad classes because that doesn't prove much, and re-taking classes to raise your gpa, then doing an SMP to "raise" your gpa again would be counterproductive and a waste of money. If you have (or think you will have) a high enough MCAT, do the SMP.

I completely disagree. It depends on your MCAT. If you get an MCAT around 30 and do great in an SMP (doesn't NEED to be a 4.0), then you'll be fine based on numbers. If you think you can do well in an SMP then go for it. I personally wouldn't re-take undergrad classes because that doesn't prove much, and re-taking classes to raise your gpa, then doing an SMP to "raise" your gpa again would be counterproductive and a waste of money. If you have (or think you will have) a high enough MCAT, do the SMP.

I don't know OP and his capability, but in general, students who get low 3.x gpa from undergrad classes with 1 or 2 science classes/semester do not perform that well in an SMP filled with medical school courses.

I know one does not need get a 4.0, but just getting by with B's does not look that impressive either. I must tell you that getting a B in an SMP class is pretty easy.

If OP is confident he'll perform well, I would also recommend doing an SMP. If there's even an ounce of doubt he won't, then he should first consider undergrad courses.