SMP or DIY/Formal Post-Bacc for MD/PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mother_Client4127

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am currently in my first gap year working in a lab full-time (3000+ research hours and hopefully 2 pubs by June 2022). I was looking to apply to MD/PhD programs for the 2022-2023 cycle but my stats are a bit lacking: 516 MCAT, 3.2 uGPA (3.74 sGPA, pretty severe downward trend with multiple withdrawals and a semester on academic probation as well), ~60 shadowing hours and no clinical volunteering or patient care. I don't really have much of an explanation for my GPA beyond a lack of motivation and a general sense of apathy. I did see a therapist a couple times and he was considering that I may have depression but I never followed up with that.

Obviously, my GPA is what will definitely hold me back the most, so I was considering applying to SMPs for the fall of 2022. However, I am unsure how a year being busy with an SMP and probably no research hours would reflect on me as an MD/PhD applicant. Any suggestions on what I should do? Would I be better off taking classes?

Members don't see this ad.

Your odds of success are going to be better with an MD application over an MD/PhD application.
Even then, a sustained period of academic excellence in upper div science classes would go a long way to convince a committee that you are ready for the rigors of medicine.
I can't recall ever seeing a "grade repair" SMP in our combined degree pool.
It may be different in your state of residence depending on the strength of your research background.

Reactions: 1 users
Your odds of success are going to be better with an MD application over an MD/PhD application.
Even then, a sustained period of academic excellence in upper div science classes would go a long way to convince a committee that you are ready for the rigors of medicine.
I can't recall ever seeing a "grade repair" SMP in our combined degree pool.
It may be different in your state of residence depending on the strength of your research background.
Are my stats just too low in general for MD/PhD, regardless of the volume of research? Also, how long is a "sustained period" in you opinion? Two semesters of part-time student load?

Are my stats just too low in general for MD/PhD, regardless of the volume of research? Also, how long is a "sustained period" in you opinion? A two semesters of part-time student load?
Successful MD/PhD applicants tend to have stats well above regular MD.
I have seen success with your stats, but with an upward trend and a spectacular research portfolio. A year of A's would do wonders whether you decide to apply MD/DO or to a combined degree program.
You would need to apply to all the lesser known programs. It's more difficult to predict who will see something in your application that overcomes the stats issue.
If you'd like, I can move this thread here for more opinions: Physician Scientist Forum Readme & FAQs (updated 3/21/10)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Successful MD/PhD applicants tend to have stats well above regular MD.
I have seen success with your stats, but with an upward trend and a spectacular research portfolio. A year of A's would do wonders whether you decide to apply MD/DO or to a combined degree program.
You would need to apply to all the lesser known programs. It's more difficult to predict who will see something in your application that overcomes the stats issue.
If you'd like, I can move this thread here for more opinions: Physician Scientist Forum Readme & FAQs (updated 3/21/10)
Ok, that makes sense. And yes, if you could move this thread for me, that would be great. Thanks for all the advice!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone,

I am currently in my first gap year working in a lab full-time (3000+ research hours and hopefully 2 pubs by June 2022). I was looking to apply to MD/PhD programs for the 2022-2023 cycle but my stats are a bit lacking: 516 MCAT, 3.2 uGPA (3.74 sGPA, pretty severe downward trend with multiple withdrawals and a semester on academic probation as well), ~60 shadowing hours and no clinical volunteering or patient care. I don't really have much of an explanation for my GPA beyond a lack of motivation and a general sense of apathy. I did see a therapist a couple times and he was considering that I may have depression but I never followed up with that.

Obviously, my GPA is what will definitely hold me back the most, so I was considering applying to SMPs for the fall of 2022. However, I am unsure how a year being busy with an SMP and probably no research hours would reflect on me as an MD/PhD applicant. Any suggestions on what I should do? Would I be better off taking classes?
Timing is key. I have similar stats, but an upward trend. I applied in a previous cycle while my publications were still under review without any success. My publications are out, I improved my MCAT, and retook two classes for a lab credit. I also got some COVID-related clinical volunteering. For this cycle, I have interviews, but I still have to answer for the low grades and prior MCAT score.

It is incredibly hard to get into an NIH MSTP with a low stat in either MCAT or GPA, as these programs have to justify their students to the NIH. With a downward trend, it would still be difficult to get into a non-NIH funded MD-PhD that will overlook a few poor grades with a strong research profile.

It may be worth it to take a few classes or even an SMP as long as you can guarantee excellence in your performance. For your application, craft a GOOD answer for why you have some low grades that will not be an obstacle to your completion of your medical school curriculum. Get more clinical shadowing and volunteering in to ensure you like that side of operations. Perform research, obtain skills, and provide enough of a contribution to a lab to at least land a co-author spot. Ideally, write a review with your research mentor; it’s a great way to become a subject matter expert and get a publication.