SMP or Post Bacc given stats: cGPA 3.31 sGPA 3.13 MCAT 500

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

G_clooney

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm looking for advise based on some raw numbers/information:

I am a CA resident. I graduated college 4 years ago, have since worked as a medical scribe, in a clinic for the underserved, and had many volunteer/shadowing hours (have not had research work since my undergrad projects). I have also gone through 1 app cycle, with a few IIs, but no interviews.

MCAT: 500 (with potential for higher, there were some issues test day that mentally interfered)
cGPA: 3.31
sGPA: 3.13
*upward trend in GPA

Senior Year:
cGPA: 3.86
sGPA: 3.80

Junior year:
cGPA: 3.6
sGPA: 3.54

Specific GPA weakness from Freshman and Sophomore year (these are the worst grades on my transcript):
Calc I : C+
Calc II : C-
Genetics w/Lab : C+
Orgo II w/ Lab : C+
General Bio I w/Lab : B-

Given this information, and countless hours sifting through SDN info it seems my options for boosting my GPA are: (I also plan on retaking the MCAT)

1. DIY Post bacc + MCAT retake (I have access to a cc, not a 4 year school)--worth it to retake my low grade science pre recs? Just focus on the upper division sciences offered? Move somewhere where I can take more classes from a 4 year?

2. SMP + MCAT retake

3. Structured Post bacc + MCAT retake

I would appreciate any advise, or references to useful forum discussions :)

Members don't see this ad.

I think it is primarily your MCAT that is holding you back. When do you plan on retaking it and is that your only score?

I think it is primarily your MCAT that is holding you back. When do you plan on retaking it and is that your only score?

@ellia Thanks for the response!
I'm trying to decide when to take it. It seems like my options are:
I. Study now, and take it in time for the next cycle (so June-ish)--the downside is any classes I do take starting this summer going into the fall and spring, either at an SMP or DIY post bacc wouldn't show in my application (at least I think).

Option II would be to take it a year from now at the very end of the MCAT cycle, take classes before then (SMP or DIY Postbacc?), but then add on another year of time before I can apply.

I took the MCAT once before right out of college (5 years ago), and scored VERY poorly (18!)

@ellia Thanks for the response!
I'm trying to decide when to take it. It seems like my options are:
I. Study now, and take it in time for the next cycle (so June-ish)--the downside is any classes I do take starting this summer going into the fall and spring, either at an SMP or DIY post bacc wouldn't show in my application (at least I think).

Option II would be to take it a year from now at the very end of the MCAT cycle, take classes before then (SMP or DIY Postbacc?), but then add on another year of time before I can apply.

I took the MCAT once before right out of college (5 years ago), and scored VERY poorly (18!)

You should try to take the MCAT before starting any SMP.

Reactions: 1 user