Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,
I will most likely end up with a 3.45-3.5 cGPA, with a 3.4ish sGPA. I have a strong upward trend:
year 1: 2.7
year 2: 3.2 *I have some extenuating circumstances for the lower grades, but it might not be enough to make adcoms ignore them*
year 3: 3.65
year 4: 3.9+
year 5 (this upcoming year): hopefully 3.9+, since my coursework is going to be easier than the others.
I'm a female, Asian OH resident.
MCAT: 38
I have completed one honors thesis in Microbiology, and will complete a second honors thesis in Philosophy, and have done about 4 years of research in a lab with about 15 poster presentations and 2 publications. ECs and LORs are pretty good, with 500+ hours of clinical volunteering, about 2000 hours of employment in at my university's medical center, and 2000 hours involved with a health-related activist group.
I'm worried about my GPA particularly, as it is below average at most schools. I'm considering taking 1-2 gap yeras after that fifth year, so I was wondering what might be the best course for me. I want to take a gap year so that my GPA can be as high as possible when I apply:
1. Research Assistantship at a Bioethics Institution of some sort (Hastings, etc) for 2 years, if I can get one. This would definitely help if I can save some money for med school
2. SMP program or other Masters program; the one at Mt. Sinai has struck me as appealing, especially since there are also opportunities for Bioethics there. Other programs that have interested me are Tufts and BU (since my dad lives in Boston, housing wouldn't be an issue), Case Western, Cincinnati (mom lives in Cincinnati and its my hometown) Dartmouth TDI and a few others that I'm looking at.
Ultimately, my goal is to go MD/DO and have bioethics be a strong part of my career path, which is why I'm particularly interested in schools that have strong Bioethics programs. as well.
Thank you in advance for all of your help!
I will most likely end up with a 3.45-3.5 cGPA, with a 3.4ish sGPA. I have a strong upward trend:
year 1: 2.7
year 2: 3.2 *I have some extenuating circumstances for the lower grades, but it might not be enough to make adcoms ignore them*
year 3: 3.65
year 4: 3.9+
year 5 (this upcoming year): hopefully 3.9+, since my coursework is going to be easier than the others.
I'm a female, Asian OH resident.
MCAT: 38
I have completed one honors thesis in Microbiology, and will complete a second honors thesis in Philosophy, and have done about 4 years of research in a lab with about 15 poster presentations and 2 publications. ECs and LORs are pretty good, with 500+ hours of clinical volunteering, about 2000 hours of employment in at my university's medical center, and 2000 hours involved with a health-related activist group.
I'm worried about my GPA particularly, as it is below average at most schools. I'm considering taking 1-2 gap yeras after that fifth year, so I was wondering what might be the best course for me. I want to take a gap year so that my GPA can be as high as possible when I apply:
1. Research Assistantship at a Bioethics Institution of some sort (Hastings, etc) for 2 years, if I can get one. This would definitely help if I can save some money for med school
2. SMP program or other Masters program; the one at Mt. Sinai has struck me as appealing, especially since there are also opportunities for Bioethics there. Other programs that have interested me are Tufts and BU (since my dad lives in Boston, housing wouldn't be an issue), Case Western, Cincinnati (mom lives in Cincinnati and its my hometown) Dartmouth TDI and a few others that I'm looking at.
Ultimately, my goal is to go MD/DO and have bioethics be a strong part of my career path, which is why I'm particularly interested in schools that have strong Bioethics programs. as well.
Thank you in advance for all of your help!