MD & DO SMP? Post-Bac? or Regular Masters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sushi22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am new to the SDN community so bare with me if this is not the right thread to post this in.
I am currently a junior at a big state university with a cGPA of 2.85 and sGPA of 2.5. I know, this is atrocious but my grades are a reflection of difficulties adjusting to college from freshman year in a new country while parents were having difficulties at home financially and emotionally (brother was diagnosed with mental illness, mother couldn't find a job and we had just migrated). To add to this, I have had jobs since freshman year to help myself. While this is no excuse, it certainly made for a more difficult time in college. My situation has gotten a bit better now and I am currently looking into options that would make it possible for me to still get into a medical school-whether MD or DO because either will enable me to help people and make a difference in their lives. However, I am truly overwhelmed in trying to decide what to do. I am more than confident that I will be able to bring my GPA up to over a 3.0 with 3 remaining semesters and I will be taking the MCAT in September but I do not know if I should do a Post-Bac with such mediocre GPA and if this is possible since I will have already taken every pre-req. Because my GPA is so low, would it make sense to do a regular MS program or a SMP that would focus on getting into MD schools? If an SMP focuses strictly on MD schools should I still do it even though I would be applying to DO schools? I am willing to do anything to get into either schools.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd guess an SMP would be your best (maybe only) shot.

Thank you! I'm currently looking into SMP's.