SMP/Postbac medical Programs OR Postbacc IRTA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sir04

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a senior year student pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Biomedical Sciences. My expected graduation is May of 2014. I have currently a high GPA (3.9), but a low on MCAT (26) on 2nd attempt. I plan to take MCAT again (last attempt) in summer, 2014. I have some research and shadowing experience but I need to improve on my research/volunteering activities.
I am planning to apply to some SMPs/Post bacc masters and NIH IRTA program.
From what I have read getting into NIH IRTA program is very challenging.
So the options I am considering for 2014-2015 are-
1) SMP/Post Bacc Master's program (still deciding which ones)
2) NIH IRTA
3) Just do research at local hospital and shadowing etc.
Could someone please guide which of the three options would make me a good candidate for Med/Do schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Figuring out what problem you have with the MCAT, fixing it, and doing extremely well on it.

You might be ok for DO as is somewhere.

Your MCAT is really the problem for MD, you could try ACMS or something but a SMP with your current MCAT is an expensive, risky, and a poor investment. SMPs fix GPA problems, which you don't have.

Last edited:
Actually May would be the last time I want to take it or just go with DO schools. Pushing beyond May would mean gap of two years.
Is ACMS the Temple university program? How difficult is it to get in? Do they give any stats?
Are there any more MS-MD programs that have guaranteed acceptance?
For DO schools Touro, NY seems to have similar program if I am correct.

Don't do an SMP! That GPA is awesome and an SMP can tarnish it. SMPs aren't made for people with low MCAT/high GPA, but rather the opposite.

Use the money you would to go all in for the MCAT by taking a class and buying materials you may not have tried before. As for what you should be doing, well its up to you and what your deficits are. If you have a lot of volunteering and you feel it is sufficient, but no research then do the NIH; however, if you don't have any/much shadowing, research and/or volunteering, then option 3.