SMP vs regular masters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lindell12a

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting my masters in biochemistry and then re-applying to medical school for the 2009 cycle. I was just wondering, is it looked down upon if you don't do an SMP?

Did anyone get in with just a regular masters (is this what is called an informal post-bac?)....:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

A regular masters won't have nearly the effect of a SMP. It also doesn't change your undergrad GPA. An informal postbac involves taking undergrad classes, not graduate.

A regular masters won't have nearly the effect of a SMP. It also doesn't change your undergrad GPA. An informal postbac involves taking undergrad classes, not graduate.

I understand it doesn't change your undergrad GPA, but I know you get a seperate GPA...I know people have done it and it's helped them get into med schools, I was just interested in knowing how it worked, and from people that have done it.

Members don't see this ad :)
the main advantages of an SMP over a Masters:

• take some med school classes along with med students
  • 1 year instead of 2
  • possible "linkage" into a medical school
  • no "hard science" thesis/research (unless you like that sort of thing)
the main disadvantage is that the "master's" degree is practically worthless. but if you are not interested in the initials after your name except md or do, smp is more than worth it.

the main advantages of an SMP over a Masters:

That's not always true. Some SMPs [including Tufts] requires a thesis for a degree. At Tufts at least [I know that a few others require a thesis, but I'm not sure on the details], you can either pick to receive a certificate [no thesis] instead of a degree, or do either a lab or library thesis. I believe that they are allowing us to do the thesis over the year that we're apply to medical school, and we are definitely allowed to work on it over the application year if we are doing an MPH also.

I'm thinking about getting my masters in biochemistry and then re-applying to medical school for the 2009 cycle. I was just wondering, is it looked down upon if you don't do an SMP?

Did anyone get in with just a regular masters (is this what is called an informal post-bac?)....:confused:

SMPs are generally the preferred route over a traditional masters. The difficulty of graduate classes vary from school to school. SMPs, just like medical education, are pretty standardized. They allow for direct comparison between you and the current medical students since you take classes with them.

You definitely get more bang for your buck, but like I have said a hundred times, they carry significantly more risk. A poor performance in an SMP will in all likelihood be a death sentence to your App.

Understand that a 'masters' from an SMP is not really a masters and in and of itself is pretty worthless.

After getting a doctorate, a normal masters too is pretty worthless.

• take some med school classes along with med students
  • 1 year instead of 2
  • possible "linkage" into a medical school

I would consider the courses taken in an SMP "hard sciences." Soft sciences include things like stat, epidemiology, etc (basically things you will find in an MPH or MHA)

Some schools that are now establishing SMP like masters programs are gaining acknowledgement i.e east coast schools so theres a thought. Even though there still listed as masters programs minus the special.:)

Some schools that are now establishing SMP like masters programs are gaining acknowledgement i.e east coast schools so theres a thought. Even though there still listed as masters programs minus the special.:)

I did one of these programs through MCV/VCU. Most of these programs are 1 year and offer a certificate. Few actually offer an MS without a second year doing research. Most of the best students dont stick around for the second year because they get in.

Some of these programs offer an MA, which in my opinion is an absurd idea in a science discipline.

Either way these programs are comparable to SMPs but are not really masters programs. AAMC offers a listing of these programs and SMPs.

Oh and pet peeve:
Their- possesive pronoun showing ownership, Is that Bob and Cindy's? No it's not theirs

They're- contraction for they are (They're coming)

There- in a certain place (It's not here, it's there), or to add emphasis (There!, Im done)

Your- ownership
You're- you are

Seriously, come on. Your not 12 anymore (ha).

That's not always true. Some SMPs [including Tufts] requires a thesis for a degree. At Tufts at least [I know that a few others require a thesis, but I'm not sure on the details], you can either pick to receive a certificate [no thesis] instead of a degree, or do either a lab or library thesis. I believe that they are allowing us to do the thesis over the year that we're apply to medical school, and we are definitely allowed to work on it over the application year if we are doing an MPH also.
typically bench research in "hard science" is required for 2 year masters and not a 1 year smp. there are smps that have a library research or some light lab research, and some smps can be "converted" into a masters by attending an extra year. of course i'm generally speaking.

I would consider the courses taken in an SMP "hard sciences." Soft sciences include things like stat, epidemiology, etc (basically things you will find in an MPH or MHA)

yes, in fact most courses in an SMP is going to be of this nature. ~3 courses with be "soft." i was referring to the research/thesis requirement.

What about taking classes that are undergraduate level while you're in grad school?
Say you're doing a traditional masters in some type of science, and then you want to take some undergrad classes (maybe they're required for the program or you just go out of your way to take them)

Would it be worth it then? Or maybe at least as a backup to an SMP?