SN2ed 2013 summer folks, post here!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ttt92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just thought I would start a thread for people taking the MCAT in late August/September and using the SN2ed schedule. I thought it would be a good place to post our progress, issues, rantings about the studying, or questions we had about the schedule?? I myself am not starting until later this week after finals.

GOOD LUCK everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm taking the EK course starting 6/08 for the 8/22 mcat. How do you guys think I should incorporate the Sn2ed schedule into the timeframe of the course??

I'm a few days behind!! Frantically catching up today...hope to do BR OCHEM CHP1 AND PROBLEMS...as well as review Chem passage and VR today..... best wishes and positive vibes my way!

Still waiting on my BR books but hoping to start the 3 month plan June 1st. We can do this, best of luck to all of us.

Do you guys Write over hightlight/etc in your prep books?

i'm being super cheap(it might actually be hurting me) to not write in my books, in hopes of selling them later, even know that I know that i'd rather take a higher school over a few hundred dollars. It really doesn't matter. I guess I'll highlight /write as needed except for the practice passages part...hah!

2. Studying SN2ed...reviewing CHEM passages for the past 1.5 hours. Stil have to read OCHEM chapter and do passages...the more I think about it/get famailiar with SN2ed plan, the more realize that in order to keep my head above the water, I have to start studying at 7AM...in order to work for 4-5 hours every day also (for another 2 weeeks)

Last edited:
Hey sn2ed family.....I just ordered my books and I won't be starting until may 27th realistically because school does not let out until may 24th.....I will also have to strongly consider cutting my study short because I have to be back into school early for RA training....any thought on cutting it a little short?....if there are any browsers who have already taken the test I would greatly appreciate your input...thank you

Today was the first day since I started SN2ed that I actually dreaded doing the passages (I'm on the second time doing 2/3 passages). I know TBR is supposed to be difficult, but its crushing my confidence to the point of frustration. Plus its a lot of passages to do all in one day, in addition to reviewing the EK 1001 and EK Bio in class stuff.

started day 1 today, completed chp 1 physics. Got rocked on the first passage I (not the review questions) and my confidence definitely took a hit.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those already studying, approximately how many hours a day do you study?

question for all of you that already started, when you read the chapter initially do you do the chapter examples included in the chapter? or are these included in the 1/3 you do after the reading?

Do you guys Write over hightlight/etc in your prep books?

i'm being super cheap(it might actually be hurting me) to not write in my books, in hopes of selling them later, even know that I know that i'd rather take a higher school over a few hundred dollars. It really doesn't matter. I guess I'll highlight /write as needed except for the practice passages part...hah!

2. Studying SN2ed...reviewing CHEM passages for the past 1.5 hours. Stil have to read OCHEM chapter and do passages...the more I think about it/get famailiar with SN2ed plan, the more realize that in order to keep my head above the water, I have to start studying at 7AM...in order to work for 4-5 hours every day also (for another 2 weeeks)

You can take notes.

I feel you. It's very hard to stick with SNed plan if one is not already somewhat prepared for MCAT. I'd rather take the time I need than worrying about staying on top of the plan at this point.

Today was the first day since I started SN2ed that I actually dreaded doing the passages (I'm on the second time doing 2/3 passages). I know TBR is supposed to be difficult, but its crushing my confidence to the point of frustration. Plus its a lot of passages to do all in one day, in addition to reviewing the EK 1001 and EK Bio in class stuff.

Keep it up. It happens to most people.

This is correct. I've been putting 4-5 hours solid (need to focus more ) and this is why i'M FALLING behind!!

Haha I'm just worried that I can't keep up this pace for 3 months. I took O-chem 1 and 2 over the summer a couple years ago and was studying around 10-12 hours a day. I got really burned out near the end, so hopefully that doesn't happen this time. I would study less, but I would get further behind. SN2ed is brutal...

"SN2ed is brutal"
I think that part of the problem of burned out is that WE are resisting so much. Why create this negativity in our psyche by referring it in such ways? Enjoy your break days and enjoy this process..it' s a celebration of knowledge. For me, MCAT score (a solid one) will open MANY MANY doors. This is what I have been waiting for ...and finally, I am in a position to apply this in practice! so happy!! yayayay :D :D :)

*After 1 hour of OCHEM CHAPTER 1* yes, SN2ed is brutal. No need for self delusion. Be prepared :D

Last edited:
ill be taking the test 9/7... starting Sn2ed schedule on June 1... really excited/dreading it at the same time haha. I don't know if I can do this 10 hours a day. gotta man up and get it done though.

My books just arrived so I'm pretty excited. And yes the 10 hours a day sounds brutal but when I think about it, I spend almost the same amount of time in class and after class studying during a 15 week semester so hopefully I can do it. But I haven't started so maybe I'm speaking too soon.:laugh:

for those that are using EK for bio content.... are you using BR for practice questions?

anyone not using BR for bio or ochem practice... if so what are you using?

anyone know if the EK 30-minute exams are any good?

Started may 3rd and test date is Aug 22nd. Boy am I glad I gave myself an extra two weeks because I already fell behind.

Hey guys,

I'm a non-trad in the process of studying for the August MCAT with the 3 month Sn2ed plan, and I really need some advice.

I find that it is taking me way too long to read the chapters (especially Physics and General Chem)...in fact I already fell 3 days behind.

What am I doing wrong? I read and take notes as I read writing out all formulas, making notecards for the formulas, and writing out each example given in TBR books. When I take the passages I score low, about 50% in each...though at that point I'm so exhausted from spending hours on the chapter that I might be rushing it too.

Anyone have a better method I can try?

I learn best when I can apply or visualize things so that is why I waste so much time writing stuff out and drawing pictures for physics questions. Should I just read the chapters quickly, skip writing out the examples and running through the actual timed passages? My timing is also pretty bad, it takes me a long time to actually get through each question (I seem to over think). In my pre-reqs I always found myself spending more time than others on the chapters. Does anyone have any good suggestions or can you point me to some good threads?

I should note that I am not working the next 3 mo. but return to work full time in the fall so I can't postpone since I will also be taking additional classes.

Thanks in advance :oops:

Last edited:
I spend around 10-11 hours a day myself. That's what it takes for the big leagues. You have to become a pro. Becoming a pro is a life commitment.

Good lord 10-11 hours a day for most of you guys?! I had no idea it'd be that bad. I dont know if I can really do that hahaha that's insane!

Anyone who started the 4 month variation of SN2ed study scheulde know about how many hours that is per day

That's weird, I only take 4-5 hours a day to go through everything, it only took me longer for bio.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SDN Mobile

I'm officially starting on Monday and I'm so pumped. I got all my materials laid out and organized by date. Oh yeah! :naughty:

Just started Day 1 today ( I broke Day 1 into 3/4 days just to get settled and used to everything/understanding the schedule). I will be spending each day now like its normal.

I started doing the first three verbal passages in EK 101 and I did horrible. Anyone have links to strategies that might help. I got 2/6, 4/6 and 2/5 on the first three passages. I suck at reading, understanding the main ideas/authors purpose and I always second guess myself.

This is going to be a long three months. Test date is August 22.

This pretty much happens to everyone at first!!! I was spending way too much time reading the first chapter in each section, like you said taking notes, underlining, making flash cards.... so i would fall behind and feel really tired by the time I do problems or sometimes dont even finish the reading!!!!

BUT NOW

I force myself to read each chapter under 3 hours and spend the rest of the time going over the passages and doing the problems!!! I feel like this is working a lot better for me!!!

and in order to really stay on schedule for the 3 month plan, I feel like you probably have to skip break days, cuz it so hard to reread like 5 chapters in one day and do EK problems!! Even if you spend 2 hrs for each chapter, thats just 10 for reading, then at least 2-3 hrs for problems!! crazyyyyyyy

Just keep working hard and build your stamina and it will get easier!!!!!

good luck

Thanks for the advice. I feel so behind now but I will keep working at it. Good to hear though that I'm not the only one who felt this way, thanks.

I just tried using the Kaplan purpose based mapping strategy and I averaged minus 1 on a series of passages. It may just work too

Just started Day 1 today ( I broke Day 1 into 3/4 days just to get settled and used to everything/understanding the schedule). I will be spending each day now like its normal.

I started doing the first three verbal passages in EK 101 and I did horrible. Anyone have links to strategies that might help. I got 2/6, 4/6 and 2/5 on the first three passages. I suck at reading, understanding the main ideas/authors purpose and I always second guess myself.

This is going to be a long three months. Test date is August 22.

The Sn2ed thread should have the verbal links. There's really only two different methods. You are either just reading for main idea without mapping/writing or highlighting, or the mapping/writing. Pick your poison. It takes time. You must learnnn.