SN2ed 2013 summer folks, post here!

Started by ttt92
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ttt92

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

Just thought I would start a thread for people taking the MCAT in late August/September and using the SN2ed schedule. I thought it would be a good place to post our progress, issues, rantings about the studying, or questions we had about the schedule?? I myself am not starting until later this week after finals.

GOOD LUCK everyone!
 
Cross-post from the BERKELEY REVIEW scores/discussion thread:

Finally reviewed my scores for the first week of SN2ed. Everything increased on the second third if only marginally with the exception of biology. 👎
My concern is that my review of the first third is only marginally benefiting my scores. I'd really like to see all of my scores about 80%. Any advice on taking it to the next level?

Code:
	A	B	C
P1	66.7%	71.4%	
P2	56.5%	66.7%	
C1	73.3%	75.9%	
O1	71.9%	75.9%	
B1	70.7%	60.3%
Key: P2B = Physics Section #2, Second Third

I think I need to make up a score sheet for myself like this. Really nice.

I just finished physics chapter 2 and completed the 3 passages of review questions.

I scored similar to you in the mid 50% range. I get beyond frustrated looking at those physics problems.

Does anybody use Chad's videos or freelanceteacher?
 
I think I need to make up a score sheet for myself like this. Really nice.
Attached is my spreadsheet. There are sheets for each of the sections and another sheet that aggregates all of them into one. Put your scores into the individual sheets and they'll show up in the global sheet.

When and if you want to post your scores, copy and paste them into [code*][/code] BBcode tags (remove the asterisk). They'll be copied with the necessary whitespaces for formatting and the BBcode tags will format them correctly. It'll look like this:
Code:
	A	B	C			A	B	C			A	B	C			A	B	C
P1	66.7%	71.4%			C1	73.3%	75.9%			O1	71.9%	75.9%			B1	70.7%	60.3%	
P2	56.5%	66.7%			C2					O2					B2			
P3					C3					O3					B3			
P4					C4					O4					B4			
P5					C5					O5					B5			
P6					C6					O6					B6			
P7					C7					O7					B7			
P8					C8					O8					B8			
P9					C9					O9					B9			
P10					C10					O10					B10

If you want it to show up like mine did before, you'll have to copy and paste each line you want from the individual section into [code*][/code] tags.

I've made some other tools for the SN2ed schedule. I'll post them when the design is definite.
 

Attachments

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Cool, I downloaded that and will use that from here on out, thanks!

I was satisfied with the first 1/3 of my chapter 1 Ochem passages. I managed a 90%.

On the down side, I calculated a nice 26% for ch. 1 physics first 1/3. I don't even know where to go with that (up, I suppose 😱).

Edit: I did score a 52% on the 3 passages in the review at the end of physics chapter 2. I wonder if these can be considered comparable to the 52 question practice exams in difficulty? Physics sucks. Anybody have any tips to taking physics passages? This was always my weak subject.
 
Last edited:
Anybody using Chad's videos concurrently with TBR books? Debating this. My physics needs a booster.

Or you have utilized his videos as a resource in the past and had increased scores?

Looking for feedback. Please post if this fits any of you.
 
Starting the schedule pretty soon. Anyone using chad's videos along with the method, if so how are you liking it? Can some of you guys post your typical day schedule?🙂
 
I didn't do that well in organic chemistry in college and the first 1/3 passages. They literally went over so much organic chemistry in one chapter and I had a hard time keeping the concepts straight. This is going to be a long three months lol.
 
Is it me or is TBR orgo very very detailed? I feel like the first chapter covers like half a semester of an orgo course... :/


I didn't think so. 🙂 You'll get use to it.

I've been behind schedule and left the TBR BIo book2 for passages at home. So trying to read and make a big dent in PHYSICS Chapter 2 today. Wish me luck!!
 
Have you guys been using flashcards? I saw the topic come up but besides Bio, will flashcards be helpful/relevant to subjects like Chem and Physics? Like what could possibly go on them besides equations?
 
Whew, I was using the wrong answer key. My 26% in physics turned into 74%. 🙂

Still curious about Chad's videos. Still not feeling comfortable in physics.
 
Have you guys been using flashcards? I saw the topic come up but besides Bio, will flashcards be helpful/relevant to subjects like Chem and Physics? Like what could possibly go on them besides equations?

Well equations was just what I was thinking for physics. I definitely want those embedded in my brain. No use wasting time thinking of the equation that you need to solve a problem.
 
I think I may do that as well. TBR goes into detail on how to solve questions using equations rather than the intuition they train us for throughout the chapters. Sometimes I think the equation they used in the answer guide was never previously mentioned in the chapter. I think it makes it all the more confusing. Maybe just throwing every equation they mention into flash cards is the way to go, ha.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Supplement difficult topics with youtube videos.
My issue is less with content and more with questions like this:

TBR Chemistry Section #1 said:
If an unknown compound were combusted in the presence of excess oxygen, what by-product of the combustion would be collected to determine the percentage of sulfur within that compound?

A. SO_2
C. H_2S
To me, sulfur should behave more like oxygen than carbon since both sulfur and oxygen are in period VI. My conscience strongly overrides the statement implying the relevance of oxygen and goes for what appears to be the sulfur analog of water before thinking about the question any further.

I'm not complaining. It's better to recognize the importance of subtle implications now rather than on test day. :meanie:
 
My issue is less with content and more with questions like this:

To me, sulfur should behave more like oxygen than carbon since both sulfur and oxygen are in period VI. My conscience strongly overrides the statement implying the relevance of oxygen and goes for what appears to be the sulfur analog of water before thinking about the question any further.

I'm not complaining. It's better to recognize the importance of subtle implications now rather than on test day. :meanie:

That type of question would make me think of combustion of say, a sugar. You add O2 and always get water vapor as long as there are hydrogens around (right?) so I would logically think that the other by-product would be CO2 except, in this case, with sulfur - SO2.

Don't know if that's the best way to think about it, though.
 
Anybody using Chad's videos concurrently with TBR books? Debating this. My physics needs a booster.

Or you have utilized his videos as a resource in the past and had increased scores?

Looking for feedback. Please post if this fits any of you.

i tried that last year and was having trouble fitting everything into my day because BR chapters were so long. this time im going to just skim through BR for some helpful tips and rely more on Chads vids because im more of a visual learner
 
Taming the beast August 22nd in Anaheim, looking forward to it!
Quick Question: On SN2ed schedule, doing every 3rd question, say there are 10 passages to go through, how long should I set as a goal to complete the passages in? I read somewhere to take 8 minutes per passage, which would mean (8*10)/3= around 27 minutes on average to complete the passages. Because reading passages takes longer than answering questions, I can probably round up to 30 minutes when doing every 3rd problem of 10 passages (about 3 minutes per passage, maybe a little more depending on passage length). Does this sound right, or is my math off?
 
Taming the beast August 22nd in Anaheim, looking forward to it!
Quick Question: On SN2ed schedule, doing every 3rd question, say there are 10 passages to go through, how long should I set as a goal to complete the passages in? I read somewhere to take 8 minutes per passage, which would mean (8*10)/3= around 27 minutes on average to complete the passages. Because reading passages takes longer than answering questions, I can probably round up to 30 minutes when doing every 3rd problem of 10 passages (about 3 minutes per passage, maybe a little more depending on passage length). Does this sound right, or is my math off?

To be clear, you should be doing every third passage, not every third question across all the passages.
 
To be clear, you should be doing every third passage, not every third question across all the passages.
Thanks for the clarification. I guess I will start doing it that way from here on out, it did seem a little odd the way I was doing it haha. Hopefully that won't throw off my studying too severely (I'm a month deep in the 4 month schedule). The only negative effect I could see is that I am already somewhat familiar with a lot of the passages. Maybe I should stick with my method though if I have already started it because it has been going pretty well. I'm conflicted...
Luckily I didn't do it wrong with bio (and VR) which would probably would have been much worse of a mistake.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification. I guess I will start doing it that way from here on out, it did seem a little odd the way I was doing it haha. Hopefully that won't throw off my studying too severely (I'm a month deep in the 4 month schedule). The only negative effect I could see is that I am already somewhat familiar with a lot of the passages. Maybe I should stick with my method though if I have already started it because it has been going pretty well. I'm conflicted...
Luckily I didn't do it wrong with bio (and VR) which would probably would have been much worse of a mistake.

Crap man...
 
Thanks for the clarification. I guess I will start doing it that way from here on out, it did seem a little odd the way I was doing it haha. Hopefully that won't throw off my studying too severely (I'm a month deep in the 4 month schedule). The only negative effect I could see is that I am already somewhat familiar with a lot of the passages. Maybe I should stick with my method though if I have already started it because it has been going pretty well. I'm conflicted...
Luckily I didn't do it wrong with bio (and VR) which would probably would have been much worse of a mistake.

Really? I would go back to the regular way. If you keep doing it that way, your scores won't accurately tell you your ability to read the passage and answer its set of questions, so much as it would tell you your ability to read a long passage that has one question associated with it. And that (fortunately) isn't on the test.
 
I still need advice guys. I'm on the 3mo...

So, my 1st 1/3 passages for each subject were terrible (about 50% in each section, lowest Gen Chem chapter 1). I'm very worried about these low scores.

Yesterday, I attempted EK Bio chapter 1, but I found it to be too simple so I also read the whole chapter in TBR (which I actually really like reading but of course it took me FOREVER!)...By the time I took the passages for Bio it was midnight and I was so tired from all the reading that I rushed through the passages once again.

Am I wasting time reading both EK and BR Bio? I also couldn't find the relevant passages in BR to the EK chapter so thats why I just read both.

And, is it really not advisable to save the passages for the next day and review at that time when the mind is fresh and focused? Did anyone try it this way? Or am I better off to sticking to this plan and making myself take the passages no matter how tired I am?

I'm feeling defeated and its only the beginning 🙁
 
I still need advice guys. I'm on the 3mo...

So, my 1st 1/3 passages for each subject were terrible (about 50% in each section, lowest Gen Chem chapter 1). I'm very worried about these low scores.

Yesterday, I attempted EK Bio chapter 1, but I found it to be too simple so I also read the whole chapter in TBR (which I actually really like reading but of course it took me FOREVER!)...By the time I took the passages for Bio it was midnight and I was so tired from all the reading that I rushed through the passages once again.

Am I wasting time reading both EK and BR Bio? I also couldn't find the relevant passages in BR to the EK chapter so thats why I just read both.

And, is it really not advisable to save the passages for the next day and review at that time when the mind is fresh and focused? Did anyone try it this way? Or am I better off to sticking to this plan and making myself take the passages no matter how tired I am?

I'm feeling defeated and its only the beginning 🙁

Do you mean doing the passages one day and correcting/reviewing the next? I only use that strategy for the sciences. It's good for reviewing the material too. I think that's a bad strategy for verbal though. When I get a verbal question wrong, I need to know why I was thinking what I was thinking, and why that method of thinking is wrong so I don't do it again. If I wait until the next day, I don't remember why I was thinking anything (especially when a lot of my day is crowded by MCAT science).

If you were asking when you should do the passages, I say the same day as you do the reading. Just make sure you start reading with enough time such that you'll have time to get to the passages without being tired. Don't want to do those tired, or the scores won't be as helpful. They'll also probably be lower and demoralize you.

I think it's fine to read EK and BR Bio, but if you read both in-depth, that'll take an immense amount of time. I read EK and "slowly skim" the corresponding BR Bio section for anything the EK section may have missed, or things that are confusing. I think you want to focus more on getting the info in your mind and practice with it rather than reading a tremendous amount.

Here's the post that relates the EK and BR chapters: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=8092170&postcount=3

This stuff is a bit of a shock starting out, but you also JUST started. I'm positive you'll be fine!
 
Do you mean doing the passages one day and correcting/reviewing the next? I only use that strategy for the sciences. It's good for reviewing the material too. I think that's a bad strategy for verbal though. When I get a verbal question wrong, I need to know why I was thinking what I was thinking, and why that method of thinking is wrong so I don't do it again. If I wait until the next day, I don't remember why I was thinking anything (especially when a lot of my day is crowded by MCAT science).

If you were asking when you should do the passages, I say the same day as you do the reading. Just make sure you start reading with enough time such that you'll have time to get to the passages without being tired. Don't want to do those tired, or the scores won't be as helpful. They'll also probably be lower and demoralize you.

I think it's fine to read EK and BR Bio, but if you read both in-depth, that'll take an immense amount of time. I read EK and "slowly skim" the corresponding BR Bio section for anything the EK section may have missed, or things that are confusing. I think you want to focus more on getting the info in your mind and practice with it rather than reading a tremendous amount.

Here's the post that relates the EK and BR chapters: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=8092170&postcount=3

This stuff is a bit of a shock starting out, but you also JUST started. I'm positive you'll be fine!

Thanks for your reply! I will follow your verbal plan, it makes more sense for sure. Also, thanks for the link with information on linking both EK and BR Bio...I will try hard to get started really early so that I don't end up tired. It's hard with other things going on but I'll keep at it. Thanks again 👍
 
That type of question would make me think of combustion of say, a sugar. You add O2 and always get water vapor as long as there are hydrogens around (right?) so I would logically think that the other by-product would be CO2 except, in this case, with sulfur - SO2.

Don't know if that's the best way to think about it, though.
Ah, you're probably not far off. Combustion is a process that maximally oxidizes the atoms from the original compound. The oxidant and reactant can be anything. This question clearly states that a sulfur-containing compound is the reactant and it suggests that oxygen will be the oxidant. Therefore, the sulfur in the compound is going to be oxidized to the only available choice that has an oxidized sulfur: SO_2.
 
what snacks or drinks do you use to fuel yourself?
My go-to foods are always coffee and granola but you know, it's gonna be a long three months and I want some variety 😛.
 
Ah, you're probably not far off. Combustion is a process that maximally oxidizes the atoms from the original compound. The oxidant and reactant can be anything. This question clearly states that a sulfur-containing compound is the reactant and it suggests that oxygen will be the oxidant. Therefore, the sulfur in the compound is going to be oxidized to the only available choice that has an oxidized sulfur: SO_2.

Yep. Today's my Phase II day and I actually just did that passage about an hour ago. I guess it's fine because I probably would have picked that anyway?

I'm preparing for the twelve passage bio set. Really want to push myself on these BR Bio passages. If they're supposed to be super difficult, then it really says something to do really well on them. Especially when a lot of people say MCAT Bio is supposed to be the trickiest.

what snacks or drinks do you use to fuel yourself?
My go-to foods are always coffee and granola but you know, it's gonna be a long three months and I want some variety 😛.

I was actually thinking about this because I wanted food that would keep my concentration strong. I like bananas and oranges, but I haven't been able to find much else that isn't too unhealthy. Doing my best to dodge unhealthy stuff but it's too tough lol.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ill be starting June 1. anything I should do to mentally prepare during my week off? what seems to be the best verbal strategy you've heard of so I can start with it right off the bat? any general advice is welcome. Thanks all! 🙂
 
ill be starting June 1. anything I should do to mentally prepare during my week off? what seems to be the best verbal strategy you've heard of so I can start with it right off the bat? any general advice is welcome. Thanks all! 🙂

A guy posted this one strategy a day or two ago. I really like it. You take slightly more time to read the first paragraph of a passage (or two paragraphs if the first one is short). Then read the rest of the passage at your regular rate, which should be reasonably fast. I've found that after each paragraph, if I can't piece it together with the ones before it in my mind, I didn't read well enough. I always take 5-10 seconds to make this connection. For some reason, it makes me retain more, and if I have to use a specific detail, I'm more likely to retrieve it from the passage faster. People have mixed opinions on whether or not you should time yourself with shorter time from the start, or if you should even time yourself at all.

That being said, I have a lot of verbal progress to make still.
 
Thanks for the clarification. I guess I will start doing it that way from here on out, it did seem a little odd the way I was doing it haha. Hopefully that won't throw off my studying too severely (I'm a month deep in the 4 month schedule). The only negative effect I could see is that I am already somewhat familiar with a lot of the passages. Maybe I should stick with my method though if I have already started it because it has been going pretty well. I'm conflicted...
Luckily I didn't do it wrong with bio (and VR) which would probably would have been much worse of a mistake.

Might want to work on your verbal.
 
Does anyone else feel like TBR physics questions are more conceptual and not much math is needed? I just finished chapter 2 passages and I felt like I barely used actual math.
 
Anybody using Chad's videos concurrently with TBR books? Debating this. My physics needs a booster.

Or you have utilized his videos as a resource in the past and had increased scores?

Looking for feedback. Please post if this fits any of you.


I started using Chad's video because I have never taken organic chemistry. Learning organic chem from the book is a bit tough. Since I like Chad's teaching a lot, I started watching his general chemistry video in replacement for BR general chem chapter 2 (albeit I did scan through the chapter and did the example problems to ensure Chad covered everything). The result of this method was acceptable as I obtained 67% (10) for the first 1/3. So, I will stick with this method for now 👍
 
Just started on day 4. Not gonna lie this schedule is pretty tough to follow, but I'm hoping with my passion not to be a complete failure in life, that I can challenge myself enough and get past this.

Although confidence booster, TBR Bio passage (1-13, 6-8, 6-13) on SN2ed's schedule for Day 4, got a 13+ scaled. WOOOOO!!!! I'm hoping it's a good start and that I can keep it up. 😀

Keep smiling mother****ers, you got this **** on lockdown!
 
Just started on day 4. Not gonna lie this schedule is pretty tough to follow, but I'm hoping with my passion not to be a complete failure in life, that I can challenge myself enough and get past this.

Although confidence booster, TBR Bio passage (1-13, 6-8, 6-13) on SN2ed's schedule for Day 4, got a 13+ scaled. WOOOOO!!!! I'm hoping it's a good start and that I can keep it up. 😀

Keep smiling mother****ers, you got this **** on lockdown!

Yes.
 
Just started on day 4. Not gonna lie this schedule is pretty tough to follow, but I'm hoping with my passion not to be a complete failure in life, that I can challenge myself enough and get past this.

Although confidence booster, TBR Bio passage (1-13, 6-8, 6-13) on SN2ed's schedule for Day 4, got a 13+ scaled. WOOOOO!!!! I'm hoping it's a good start and that I can keep it up. 😀

Keep smiling mother****ers, you got this **** on lockdown!

You only had 3 passages? I did 12 or so for the day 4 bio.
 
Gen Chem Ch.2 is another 50+ pages. This'll be fun.

Just saw that. :/ It's my dad's birthday so I was hoping to finish the chapter a bit early and then head out for dinner. Hopefully it's not a super hard chapter, I've only heard complaints about the one after it.

Reading through it right now, it's not as bad. it's mainly a review of high school chemistry and 2nd year quantum physics.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Finally finished. Wanted to make sure I soaked in everything. Going to knock these passages out of the way so I can review some physics from yesterday.

Got some old wounds to heal.
 
I'm about 9 days behind schedule...struggling to keep up with the 3-month plan...I'm taking the MCAT on 8/9. And it's true...you do spend about 10 hours a day with this plan...it's pretty brutal, and I consistently get half of the problems wrong 😱 ...the VR is particularly awful...makes me wanna go out and kill a small furry creature with my bare hands for no reason, LOL :laugh: