Sneezing In Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mct2762

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this may sound dumb, but it was a legit question I had after yesterday. I was scrubbed in on a hysterectomy and had to sneeze really bad. What are you supposed to do in that situation!? You can't touch your face....are you supposed to sneeze in the mask and just have your snot sitting there?

I can't be the only person who has had this question!

Members don't see this ad.

why ask this in pre-medical forum??
Go ask the peeps at medical forum.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
but i figure you go out and come back in after scrubbing again.

Scrubbing out then re-scrubbing just to sneeze is a huge waste of time and supplies.

I have scrubbed in on some human surgeries and I scrub in to perform survival surgeries on primates in my lab all the time. Obviously it is a bit different then human surgery, but when I need to sneeze I sneeze but just don't blow snot out of my nose. Try to let the sneeze happen, just prevent it from blasting out of your nose, it alleviates the urge to sneeze without the mess. Hope that makes sense.

I assume there were no Junior Mints involved.

Reactions: 3 users
Scrubbing out then re-scrubbing just to sneeze is a huge waste of time and supplies.

I have scrubbed in on some human surgeries and I scrub in to perform survival surgeries on primates in my lab all the time. Obviously it is a bit different then human surgery, but when I need to sneeze I sneeze but just don't blow snot out of my nose. Try to let the sneeze happen, just prevent it from blasting out of your nose, it alleviates the urge to sneeze without the mess. Hope that makes sense.

yes, because everyone sneezes the same every time...
I'd rather waste time and supplies than be uncleanly.

I meannnnn yeah....I dont think I would want to stand through a (INSERT SOME RIDICULOUSLY LARGE NUMBER) hour surgery with snot pooling in my mask

Why did you ask this in pre-allo and pre-osteo? Were you going to compare and contrast the responses?

because pre-md and pre-do are different....
p-do are inferior to p-md....

Why did you ask this in pre-allo and pre-osteo? Were you going to compare and contrast the responses?

no, I posted it in pre allo, pre osteo, allo, osteo, and surgery...just to get responses. sometimes threads are never answered. just wanted this to be seen

because pre-md and pre-do are different....
p-do are inferior to p-md....

I dont think they are inferior...they just do different jobs than MD's...dont they practice voodoo or something?

no, I posted it in pre allo, pre osteo, allo, osteo, and surgery...just to get responses. sometimes threads are never answered. just wanted this to be seen

internet has limited amount of capacity... It's people like you that use up internet space so future people can't....

This is against SDN TOS. You can get on probation for cross posting like this. If I were you, I would delete all but one before someone flags you.

No need to be snide.

It's not being unclean, its about time management. If you don't shoot snot all over the inside of your mask there is nothing to clean up or worry about. But I think it is safe to assume you are going to piss off a room full of surgeons, nurses, anesthesiologists, and techs if you ask to un-scrub and then re-scrub every time you feel the urge to sneeze or do something else that makes you feel "icky." Surgical procedures can take long enough without any little unnecessary breaks for things as trivial as rescrubbing because you don't feel comfortable.

My experience is coming from the surgeries I perform in my lab which are aseptic survival surgeries on primates, and shadowing/scrubbing for neurosurgery and orthopedics for the past 4 years. But hey this is just my opinion on the matter don't take it as gospel or get all upset over it.

Just sneeze I to your hand, dude. The patient is asleep, so it's not like they'd know. What could go wrong?

Reactions: 2 users
This is against SDN TOS. You can get on probation for cross posting like this. If I were you, I would delete all but one before someone flags you.

Yeah I did not know about that unfortunately. I messaged a moderator and she said that only donor level accounts can delete posts. So I guess I'm sol

When I had the urge to sneeze during surgery, I just held it in and moved on.