So besides medicine/your major, what would you choose?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

engineeredout

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just curious what everyone would want to do if they had to decide on something besides medicine and/or what their major is.

Personally, I think astronomy/astrophysics is cool as hell. I'd like to do that.

Anyone else?

Members don't see this ad.

I would've been a history major and concentrated on western European history from the late 1800's to the end of World War II. I probably would've had a higher gpa too.

i'd be a professor fo sho. Probably in anatomy or physiology or something of that nature. Itd be cool to come back to my college and teach in the kines department.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just curious what everyone would want to do if they had to decide on something besides medicine and/or what their major is.

Personally, I think astronomy/astrophysics is cool as hell. I'd like to do that.

Anyone else?

If this medical school thing don't work or if I no longer want to do clinical research as a career, I will try to work with a college football or NFL team. I don't have the passion for any other careers besides medical genetics, clinical research, and football. Nothing else in the world would keep me happy.

I am currently finishing up my history/philosophy double major and if medicine were not my preferred career, I would most likely be preparing my law school application right now.

My favorite courses dealt with symbolic logic.

Cool question....probably something with forensics. We have a student who was a student at the Body Farm at the University of Tennessee, and that stuff is right up my alley. My major was in mechanical engineering, but I wouldn't do that. It would probably be sinful if I didn't say racecar driver :laugh: Pro golfer would be good too.

I would probably be a chef. While I love to cook "traditional" foods, I would love to learn more about molecular gastronomy.

And if the travel channel woudn't mind giving me a job to go all over the world I wouldn't turn that down either! :D

I would definitely go the art/business route. Double major in business and either graphic design or floral design. I want to be the next Martha Stewart. I want to do it all (cook, decorate, be crafty, etc.) :)
Well, I don't want to go to jail, though...

I wouldve gotten my major in economics and been graduating this may with a higher gpa on my way to a top 15 law school lol. My second choice was always to be a district attorney, I come from a long line of cops ;)

Anyone else?

I know it's not original now but...dude, EXACT same thing for me. I would absolutely LOVE to do that. I'm an amateur astronomer as is, with a telescope and everything (as much as NYC's light pollution will allow me to be, anyway). :D

Audio Engineer. I often think of how much easier that path would have been... but I'm convinced I made the right choice.

Anyhow, when you all have your own yachts, I plan on having my own recording studio. :laugh:

Audio Engineer. I often think of how much easier that path would have been... but I'm convinced I made the right choice.

Anyhow, when you all have your own yachts, I plan on having my own recording studio. :laugh:

I'm a boat, DON'T YOU EVER FORGET!

[youtube]R7yfISlGLNU[/youtube]

Members don't see this ad :)
I would be a high school teacher.

I'd probably look into journalism or law. Both have doors that open in many of my interests. Great question, OP, thanks!

I know it's not original now but...dude, EXACT same thing for me. I would absolutely LOVE to do that. I'm an amateur astronomer as is, with a telescope and everything (as much as NYC's light pollution will allow me to be, anyway). :D

I had a friend growing up who studied astrophysics at FIT, and now he's switched up to Philosophy. Last I heard he was trying to move up here to Philly to get into the Temple Philosophy masters program. I love all those Theoretical Physics shows they've got on TV now. Woo!!

i'd go to culinary school and hopefully open up a restaurant, who wouldn't want a job where you could cook amazing dishes and then sample them.

Law School I guess. I have a passion to work some years later in either the government or for a lobbying firm.

Medicine is what I really wanted though (the interest level was far more), and I still want to use my medical career down the field to either work for the government and be a lobbyist. Anyhow, all in all, I'll be that DO guy on the Hill one day....

I had a friend growing up who studied astrophysics at FIT, and now he's switched up to Philosophy. Last I heard he was trying to move up here to Philly to get into the Temple Philosophy masters program. I love all those Theoretical Physics shows they've got on TV now. Woo!!

FIT offers astrophysics :confused: Fashion institute of technology?

College basketball coach. My gpa has suffered because of this "other" dream. It took major soul searching to put every thing towards medicine and if it doesn't work out I'll be a college basketball coach. I've spent summers making connections and working camps with programs. And if neither one of those two worked out for whatever ungodly reasons I'd be a professor. They have the best schedules ever, and once you're tenured its all gravy baby.

I'm pretty sure FIT is Florida Institute of Technology, but I second the Lauren Conrad comment.

I'd go into immigration law and specialize in asylum cases. Because I Just Want To Help People™

I'd really enjoy astronomy/astrophysics as well. It's been one of my favorite reading topics of late (at the lay level). "Big Bang" by Singh was an eye opener and I loved the book "Paralax: The Race To Measure The Cosmos" by Hirshfeld which was written almost as an adventure story (he was also one of my profs when I finished my premeds post-bac).
Alternatively, I was an art major so the thought of a career in illustration, probably children's book illustration holds some appeal (especially as a pediatrician)

My fallback career would be a PGA teaching professional at a country club somewhere with a golf club repair business on the side. I had an offer to work for Cleveland Golf a few years ago as a golf club repairmen travelling around in their van to different pro tournaments. I turned it down though because I wanted to go back to college to finish my degree and go to med school. The first thing I ever wanted to do as a kid is be either a Navy or Air Force fighter pilot. Top Gun was by far my favorite movie as a kid. The only problem is I am color blind so no go on the fighter pilot dreams.

Good topic. High School Physics teacher and FB coach/Track coach. I really enjoy Physics.

I'd go into audio engineering or graphic design. I like being creative. Those would be tough fields to stand out in though..theres a lot of really talented people out there :oops:

Well I would do academic medicine. I have this urging to be a Biochemistry professor. Weird, huh? :)

I'd be a Behavioral Science major (combo of Psychology, Sociology, and Anthropology)
Probably some form of social work

I would do a History Major, with maybe a Philosophy Minor... Then be a professor at a University and teach some kick-ass history classes, possibly talking about ethics during war or something. I always found wars, especially during the last 2 centuries, to be fascinating.

Law School I guess. I have a passion to work some years later in either the government or for a lobbying firm.

Medicine is what I really wanted though (the interest level was far more), and I still want to use my medical career down the field to either work for the government and be a lobbyist. Anyhow, all in all, I'll be that DO guy on the Hill one day....

DO Day on the Hill I wanted to go to this year but it crept up on me. Next year I'll see you there, I'm all about it. We're having an interesting conversation in another thread about expungement law, whether or not one has to disclose an arrest/conviction that's been expunged for the licensing application. Jump in!

FIT offers astrophysics :confused: Fashion institute of technology?

Didn't you know a multi-million dollar portion of NASA's budget is concerned with making their people look goooooood?
:banana:

I would be a dolphin trainer. Other childhood dreams =0) Would be a pretty sweet job minus having to learn all the routines and flips I would have to do in addition to the dolphin.:rolleyes:

Anyone else?

I want to win the lottery and retire by 26. :thumbup:

Archaeology/Biological Anthropology. Old stuff is cool

I would have been a derivatives trader. But I think medicine is neat enough to spend a few years pursuing.

Cop by day, paramedic by night. Or, alternatively, I'd go to law school for bioethics.. Mmm bioethics, I loveeeeee it!

Well, I really want to be an astronaut; unfortunately, I majored (am majoring) in English so without the medical degree that would be out of the question. I'd like to go into journalism of some sort. I'm already a writer, so it wouldn't be too difficult really. I'd enjoy it.

I'm an amateur astronomer too, but I'd never go into it as a career.

I went into Information Sciences and Technology. Mainly because it was the fastest way out of engineering. I later picked up German Lit and took a liking to linguistics. So, my ideal gig would involve going back and getting a masters/phd in Usability Engineering/Computational Linguistics.

As it is now, I'm still looking into pursuing a few tech oriented degrees after the hell of med school and residency.

I 'm a history and public health double major.....i would probably get my masters in PH with the the Masters program at BU along with the Peace Corps and then move to hospital administration...
OR
go on fantastic adventures to other countries to buy objects for exhibits at the Smithsonian....and eventually become curator....:D

if it had to be totally unrelated to what im either doing or wanting to go into..

either petroleum engineering or electrical engineering w/ the focus in power

^both of those make major bank.. as in you can start above 100k out of college on just a 4 year degree. pays to be able to do math.

emphasis on can ^

I know many people in both and they didn't.

It was the same with my field though. I was offered 80k a year starting with promises of 6 figures within a couple of years.

either petroleum engineering or electrical engineering w/ the focus in power

^both of those make major bank.. as in you can start above 100k out of college on just a 4 year degree. pays to be able to do math.

Not a chance they make 100k right out of college. After some years spent working and gaining experience sure its possible, but not going to happen with no experience and just a BS/BE

I would do particle physics, but I don't think I am smart enough.

epidemiologist

I love the book "The Hot Zone"

If it had to be something completely unrelated to my bio degree..

I would probably:
-join the Navy SEALs or Marine Special Ops.
-or go to law school.

You act like you just sign up and get into the Navy SEALs. :p