So confused!!!!!! In need of help asap

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Futuredds2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so my sgpa is 2.5 and my cgpa is 2.65. Ever since ochem (D both semesters) my GPA did not recover. I am desperate because I am a biochem major, come from a hard undergrad school, have excellent EC and LOE. Now, I am taking the Kaplan DAT course and I feel very confident that I will do well. My diagnostic score was a 26AA!!!!! But I am worried that I will not even make it past screening with my low gpa.....

I am also applying to a post bac at SIU medprep and Barry University masters program. I have talked to the dean at the dental school of the the post bac program I'm applying to and he told me that as long as I get solid DAT scores and maintain a high gpa I may have a chance at the dental school.....

Now, I have also taken biochem,microbio,histo,physio. This year, my senior year, I am taking anatomy,immunolgy, molecular medicine, cell bio and physics. So what I am trying to say is that most post bacs have students take these courses to prepare them right? Well what should I do If I have taken these courses already? The only prob is that I received C's in microbio,histo and physio. :(

So what is best? A masters in biomedical science at barry university where I basically take all those courses again. Or a post bac where I basically take those courses in addition to DAT prep and study skills......huh I am so frustrated I have a headache!!! :thumbdown:confused: lol

Members don't see this ad.

I can't tell you what are your chances, but I can tell you that your low GPA will hinder your chances! You must improve that GPA, because a high DAT score doesn't change the fact that you have a 2.6 GPA. All it means is that you performed well on the DAT, but the DAT is not representative of your undergraduate performance!

Yes your right. But even if I get straight A's my senior year, because of the D's in ochem, my Ggpa will not go up much..my science gpa may go up just to 2.8 and cgpa may be 3.0.

Post bac programs contribute to undergrad gpa whereas a masters will be a whole new gpa. So, I am trying to decide which one will make me more competitive when I reapply. Also, if I take the DAT next month, should I reapply at the end of my senior year since my GPA will be a "little" higher? By June 2010 I will be looking at a sgpa of 2.8-2.9 and cgpa of 3.0-3.1.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes your right. But even if I get straight A's my senior year, because of the D's in ochem, my Ggpa will not go up much..my science gpa may go up just to 2.8 and cgpa may be 3.0.

Post bac programs contribute to undergrad gpa whereas a masters will be a whole new gpa. So, I am trying to decide which one will make me more competitive when I reapply. Also, if I take the DAT next month, should I reapply at the end of my senior year since my GPA will be a "little" higher? By June 2010 I will be looking at a sgpa of 2.8-2.9 and cgpa of 3.0-3.1.

I think you should apply with nothing less than a sgpa and cgpa of 3.0.
Can you take summer classes also?

With a high DAT score, you will be set.

Any grades you get will be averaged according the number of hours along with your undergrad gpa. Aka your master gpa will not override your undergrad. But all classes will be averaged together.

I think you should apply with nothing less than a sgpa and cgpa of 3.0.
Can you take summer classes also?

With a high DAT score, you will be set.

Not necessarily correct in my eyes. If the OP is not inflating his 26 AA score, then he has a chance of getting in even with a sub 3.0 gpa. Is it a great chance, I don't think so. But there are sub-3.0's that get in. A classmate had a 2.8, but got a 24s on the DAT. He got in! I know there aothers too. I tried to find it, but couldn't. There is an old thread that discusses this topic. Might want to find it. It is about sub 3.0 applicants.

Thanks for your responses!
I am really aiming to score above 25 on the DAT in August. I just wish they would wait until at least my first term grades in November to make a decision. Because by then, I will have increased my GPA. By the way, I am not totally sure how they average the GPA. 2.65 was on my recent transcript as an overall and I just "guessed" my sgpa was 2.5. So I am not totally sure what it is or how to calculate it.....It might be higher than I think. I'm not sure though.

I am really aiming to score above 25 on the DAT in August. I just wish they would wait until at least my first term grades in November to make a decision. Because by then, I will have increased my GPA. By the way, I am not totally sure how they average the GPA. 2.65 was on my recent transcript as an overall and I just "guessed" my sgpa was 2.5. So I am not totally sure what it is or how to calculate it.....It might be higher than I think. I'm not sure though.

If you want to get a better idea of what your science gpa is, take all your math and science courses and break them down one by one. Take the amount of credits for the class and multiply it by the grade you received, do this for every class, then add up those points at the end and divide it by the total number of credits and that will give you your gpa.

An example of this would be- Biology 101=4 credits and lets say you received an A-. You take 4 credits X 3.67 because thats the value for an A- and that gives you 14.68. Then you have Chemistry 304 with 3 credits and you received a C. So its 3 credits X 2.0=6. Now you take the 6 and the 14.68 and divide it by the total amount of credits which is 7. So its 20.68/7 and you get a 2.95 gpa. A=4, A-=3.67, B+=3.33, B=3, B-=2.67, C+=2.33, C=2.00, C-=1.67, D+=1.33, and D=1. Hope this helps.

Thank you so much!!!!!! I am going to do this right away!!!!

Aim realistically. Do you know how difficult it is to score 25+. I'm not saying your incapable of doing that, I'm just saying it's quite hard.
Anyways, I think you shouldn't apply with anything below 3.0, regardless of what your DAT ends up being.

Yea I just decided today to do a post bac and reapply for the class of 2012.

Thanks though!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am definitely aiming for a 30 when I take it in August!!! :) I'm going to study in the library from 9am to 9pm every day. lol

Take ur DATs, and then sign up for Masters program somewhere!! UR gpa is extremely low and post-back is not sufficient. what aadsas does is it still gives u cumulative gpa including postback and undergrad! so schools are just gonna see that ur taking more classes, and thats what postbac really is. And sorry Pal, no one has every got 30 before... if u get lucky and pull a AA: 23/24 TS:23/24, which are 99.9 percentile!

So why not a post bac? Whats the difference? I have even talked to adcoms and I am still left confused whether I should do a SMP like a masters in biomedical science at Barry University or a post bac.......

So why not a post bac? Whats the difference? I have even talked to adcoms and I am still left confused whether I should do a SMP like a masters in biomedical science at Barry University or a post bac.......

id say do master program. don't do post bac. i was told not to. cause my gpa was low as well. so i'd say do master program

id say do master program. don't do post bac. i was told not to. cause my gpa was low as well. so i'd say do master program

Ok thanks. So upon graduating with a masters, AADSAS adds the undergrad gpa and masters gpa together?

Ok thanks. So upon graduating with a masters, AADSAS adds the undergrad gpa and masters gpa together?

AADSAS will calculate your undergrad GPA, your Masters GPA, AND your cumulative GPA (which includes your undergrad and Masters combined). And I still think you should do a SMP rather than a post bacc.

AADSAS will calculate your undergrad GPA, your Masters GPA, AND your cumulative GPA (which includes your undergrad and Masters combined). And I still think you should do a SMP rather than a post bacc.

I agree about the masters.:thumbup: Did you get into dental school?

AADSAS may average your undergrad and grad GPA but most of the schools I talked to will use only your grad GPA. Ill be attending Barry this August. I've known a few ppl who got in after their masters....i say Barry, although it is very expensive. Good Luck to ya!

AADSAS may average your undergrad and grad GPA but most of the schools I talked to will use only your grad GPA. Ill be attending Barry this August. I've known a few ppl who got in after their masters....i say Barry, although it is very expensive. Good Luck to ya!

Which schools mentioned that they only look at grad GPA? I'm sure undergrad GPA will stay play a good role in determining interviews/acceptances, but since my grad GPA is so much higher, I'd like to know which schools said this to you (and hopefully I applied to some of these schools).

I agree about the masters.:thumbup: Did you get into dental school?

Here's a reason why master's versus post-grad:

Post-grad - what good is it other than to try to boost your grades? Will taking these courses help you get a job?

master's degree - if you get a master's in an area that interests you, you can use that degree to help you get a job in case you don't get into d-school. I am not trying to say you are not going to get in. I am just saying that the master's will be there as a fall back option.

Which schools mentioned that they only look at grad GPA? I'm sure undergrad GPA will stay play a good role in determining interviews/acceptances, but since my grad GPA is so much higher, I'd like to know which schools said this to you (and hopefully I applied to some of these schools).

UF, Ohio State, Midwestern, Nova, Creighton were the shools I called.

UF, Ohio State, Midwestern, Nova, Creighton were the shools I called.

Oh ok...the only one I'm applying to on that list is Nova, and they are the only school I didn't talk to b/c nobody ever picked up their phone or answered my emails...

My two cents... for why I would opt for post-bacc.

Even though it seems counter intuitive, it is good that post-bacc is not going to get him a job. Why give yourself the option of slipping into something else. Futuredds would have even more incentive/motivation to do AMAZING that entire year.

Also, from my understanding, colleges main purpose for the sGPA is to approximate how well the applicant will do in d.school. The purpose of post bacc would not be simply to improve one's GPA but show that, hey, i can do well in these hard bio classes. or look at this upward trend in GPA!
A caveat to the upward trend: it would be nice if futuredds could provide legitimate reasons in those optional essays on why he/she didnt do well in those undergrad years.

My two cents... for why I would opt for post-bacc.

Even though it seems counter intuitive, it is good that post-bacc is not going to get him a job. Why give yourself the option of slipping into something else. Futuredds would have even more incentive/motivation to do AMAZING that entire year.

Also, from my understanding, colleges main purpose for the sGPA is to approximate how well the applicant will do in d.school. The purpose of post bacc would not be simply to improve one's GPA but show that, hey, i can do well in these hard bio classes. or look at this upward trend in GPA!
A caveat to the upward trend: it would be nice if futuredds could provide legitimate reasons in those optional essays on why he/she didnt do well in those undergrad years.

Certain SMP's mimic the first year of medical and dental school. For example, Barry covers gross cadaver anatomy, head and neck neuroanatomy, biochemistry, histology, physiology, health care delivery, and general principles and practices of dentistry (taught by a faculty memeber from NOVA). Doing well in a program like this will show that you can handle the stresses of the first year of dental school....there is also research you can participate in.