So here's my deal...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

12345a

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm transferring into Cal Berkeley as a junior next semester from CC and throughout my research I came to the realization of just how many people are rejected from dental school every year.

I really don't want to do a masters b/c I don't have the money or the time. I really want to get into dental school on my first try. What can I do to strengthen my application? Here is the basic rundown:

-I have a 3.8 oGPA and a 3.6 sGPA
-My major is Psychology
-I've completed my GE's, Major prereqs, and 1 year genchem
-I will spend an extra semester at UC Berkeley and apply 1 year late
-In my extra semester, I plan on doing getting involved in research
-Some EC's include UCSF administrative job, after school teacher, red cross volunteer, started playing violin after I started college..you know the drill
-50+ hours of shadowing

Questions:

-What can I do to make my application stronger?

-Will staying an extra semester and applying a year later negatively affect?
me?

-Even though most DS's encourage diversity of subject, will being a psychology major (which is considered an easier major) make me less competitive?

-I don't plan on taking any upper division science classes and I plan on taking 1 DS prereq each semester, will this light course load hurt my cause?

-Last one and I'm confused...

Fall 09: Orgo 1
Spring 10: Orgo 2
Sum 10: Bio 1
Fall 10: Bio 2
Spring 11: Phy 1
Sum 11: Phy2 (apply)
Fall 11: Biochem
Spring: 12 (Research)

When should I prepare & take the DAT?
Will the research I do in Spring 12 even matter?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

Just looking at that schedule, you can change a few things there to get done with the pre-reqs faster and prep for DAT.

Since you'll be transferring this fall, I recommend sticking to just one science class, esp since it'll be Chem 3A (orgo 1) which is a pretty tough class.

Spring 10, you can pair up Chem 3B (orgo 2) and Bio 1B (bio 2)/ Physics 8A (phy 1) together.

Whichever one you didn't pair up in Spring 10 with Bhem 3A, take that in the summer time, so you should plan on taking Bio 1B or Phy 8A in the summer, since those are way easier in the summer than Bio 1A which is straight hell in the summer.

Fall 10, you can take Bio 1A, and Physics 8B (phy 2), and you'll be done with the basic pre-reqs.

Spring 11, you can take biochem, do research and prep for the DAT, and take it in early summer and apply at the same time.

You can pretty much do research at any time during the year, and don't have to wait till your last semester. There are plenty of research positions available on campus, at Lawrence Berkeley, CHORI (5 miles away), or UCSF if you wanna make the commute.

Basically, Bio 1B and the physics classes are the somewhat easier pre-reqs at Cal. The rest you don't want to combine in one semester.

Hope that helps

The research you plan to do is basically useless. Do research BEFORE you apply.
Also, maintain a high gpa in the science classes. This will be very tough at Cal. Lastly, you don't need to take an extra semester. Just do some summer classes and work harder.

Members don't see this ad :)
The research you plan to do is basically useless. Do research BEFORE you apply.

Well, it wouldn't be totally useless. When I applied I only had about 2-3 months of research, just basic lab stuff, nothing really special. Between then and my interviews I had really done much more, even getting a paper accepted for publication, and I did feel a bit bummed that it wasn't on my application, but I felt that talking about that stuff, and showing some of the work I had done during my interview really made a big difference for my acceptances. If you can, start looking around for research opportunities at Cal right when you transfer, since they normally want at least a year commitment, they probably wouldn't take you for just one quarter.

With your stats I'm sure you'll do fine, don't stress, and you've still got plenty of time. As far as when to take the DAT, a good rule of thumb is to take it ASAP after you finish Ochem.

Good luck!

Well, it wouldn't be totally useless. When I applied I only had about 2-3 months of research, just basic lab stuff, nothing really special. Between then and my interviews I had really done much more, even getting a paper accepted for publication, and I did feel a bit bummed that it wasn't on my application, but I felt that talking about that stuff, and showing some of the work I had done during my interview really made a big difference for my acceptances. If you can, start looking around for research opportunities at Cal right when you transfer, since they normally want at least a year commitment, they probably wouldn't take you for just one quarter.

With your stats I'm sure you'll do fine, don't stress, and you've still got plenty of time. As far as when to take the DAT, a good rule of thumb is to take it ASAP after you finish Ochem.

Good luck!

Hey Vic, I don't think I was clear enough. What I meant was to do research before interviews (not applying). IMO, planning on doing research but never doing it seems unreliable.

If I change up my schedule and don't stay an extra year, how will it look if I apply before taking the DAT? (I will not have taken a fully year of Bio)

I don't really want to get involved in research, I only mentioned it because I thought my application would be weaker without it. Would not having it really hurt my application that much?

So if I don't stay an extra year:

Spring 10: Orgo 2, Phys 1
Sum 10: APPLY, Bio 1
Fall 10: Bio 2, DAT
Spring 11: Phys 2, Biochem

If I stay 1 more semester:

Spring 10: Orgo 2
Sum 10: Bio 1
Fall 10: Bio 2
Spring 11: Phys 1
Sum 11: Phys 2, DAT, APPLY
Fall 12: Biochem
Spring 12: Research/Job/Travel/whatever

I think I could get a higher GPA if I stayed 1 extra semester.
(if it is any consolation, my undergrad has been taken care of..I just don't want to do a masters and I want to get into DS on my first try)

Will the extra semester and 1 prereq/semester hurt me?

i know these are silly questions and I hate to do it but.....

bump

Hey Vic, I don't think I was clear enough. What I meant was to do research before interviews (not applying). IMO, planning on doing research but never doing it seems unreliable.

Haha, well, I got your point, but I guess my example wasn't quite a good one since I had experience on my application. I think the second half of my example where I talked about the work I did after I applied at my interviews is what I meant to focus on. :)