So how important is research??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MajinSD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i know this question was probably asked before...but how crucial is research for low tier MD and DO schools..i know its not necessary but what if im a below average applicant (low gpa)?

also, i did stem cell "research" over the summer which just involved washing and cleaning things and then i quit at the end of the summer because it was lame...should i mention this or not?

also, if im gonna get a masters should i continue research?

thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

It's not a requirement, but research never hurts, even if it was a 'lame' research experience. You can still throw in how you learned something about time commitment, new procedures, certain fields of medicine, etc. I had a bad research experience, and I included it in my apps. I also got asked about it in both the interviews I had (at DO schools) so I'd say research is pretty relevant wherever you end up applying.

i know this question was probably asked before...but how crucial is research for low tier MD and DO schools..i know its not necessary but what if im a below average applicant (low gpa)?

also, i did stem cell "research" over the summer which just involved washing and cleaning things and then i quit at the end of the summer because it was lame...should i mention this or not?

also, if im gonna get a masters should i continue research?

thanks guys

It's all dependent, there are some low tier schools with strong biomedical research. So you need to research the school to look at whether they take research into consideration for research.

clinical experience>>research if you are a low performing student. Commit to showing you have a heart for service and start an upward trend in your academics, research at this point should be placed on hold. strong MCAT is a no-brainer expectation.

IMO, be honest with your app and put down all EC's, it may hurt you but in may help, you never know. Perspectives are wide through the AdCom. But I'm worried that you did not take the initiative to learn more about your lab than what was expected of your through your job description.

why are you pursuing a masters? whatever the reason, MPH is a great way to gain an understanding of medicine and can really strengthen your app as well. just do what you love and what interests you. if you find that your interests lie outside of medicine, then follow that. A lot of people force themselves to pursue medicine for some reason.