So i didn't get in :(...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TYoukhana

Commercial Broker for Healthcare Professionals
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got my letter from Midwestern in Downer's Grove and they said i was placed on the alternate list. It's kind of hard to keep a positive attitude about this stuff especially since it's my 3rd year applying and to still no avail. I was placed on the alternate list last year at midwestern in glendale however i never heard from them at all. Any suggestions? I really want to attend that campus mainly since i'm from chicago orginially and i've been wanting to move back since my family came to arizona.

Members don't see this ad.

I know it is hard for you, but I think if you really love pharmacy you should reapply again. There are a few things you have to do to improve your chances of getting in next year. First, retake any classes that are below B's. Second, study the PCAT every chance you get. Third, apply to more schools. Finally, keep a positive attitude.

I know how you feel.....have you spoken Midwestern COP and found out the reason for your denials? Also, have you added to your application each year? Maybe volunteer work, community service, pharm tech. experience, better grades etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
TYoukhana said:
I got my letter from Midwestern in Downer's Grove and they said i was placed on the alternate list. It's kind of hard to keep a positive attitude about this stuff especially since it's my 3rd year applying and to still no avail. I was placed on the alternate list last year at midwestern in glendale however i never heard from them at all. Any suggestions? I really want to attend that campus mainly since i'm from chicago orginially and i've been wanting to move back since my family came to arizona.

You are contradicting yourself here. You said you didn't get in, but actually you are on the waitlist. That means you still have a chance. I know at the Mandatory Campus Visit, Wendy told everyone if you are put on the waitlist take the initiative and start sending them all the additional information you can think of that will prove your case. Write a well composed letters explaining any deficiencies you might have. Include everything that you are doing currently to make yourself a stronger candidate. You need to get proactive right now and not just give up.

Chris

What have you done in the past two years since your first rejection to improve your app? It seems that if you have shown improvement in your PCAT, gotten more experience in the field, etc... you should be able to get in. It isn't time to give up yet, I suppose, but if you've already fixed everything you think is wrong with your app and you're still not getting in, then maybe it is time to look at other options. I know everyone here will be supportive and say never give up, but you can't apply every year forever... I'm curious, what are your stats? Maybe we can suggest an area to improve?

I know you said that you would like to stay in the Chicago area, but maybe you could consider applying to other schools in different staes. I'm sure you chances of acceptance would improve a lot. I also agree with the other posters about calling the school and retaking classes if you received some lower grades. Good Luck and don't give up!

dont give up! People have been trying for 3 years to get into pharmacy school, and they have eventually..

I know you said that you would like to stay in the Chicago area, but maybe you could consider applying to other schools in different staes. I'm sure you chances of acceptance would improve a lot. I also agree with the other posters about calling the school and retaking classes if you received some lower grades. Good Luck and don't give up!

I applied to about 20 schools, the first school to send me an invitation was Midwestern in Downer's grove :-/. It's just really hard trying to keep a positive attitude when it seem's like i've been running in place for 3 years. I have all the experience in the world, and every floater pharmacist, including our staff pharmacists always tell me that i would make a great pharmacist, but how come the school's can't realize this? I guess they have to look past the test scores and gpa's which is something they'll never do.

What are your STATS! I'm assuming they're not too hot because you say
"I guess they have to look past the test scores and gpa's which is something they'll never do."
Of course they won't, pharmacy is extremely competitive, and your GPA/test scores are one of the few things they can use to gauge you against the other applicants! Post your data so we can make suggestions ;)

Biography:
Play basketball, rap, lift, the usual assyrian stuff

Usual Assyrian stuff? And doesn't your screen name mean something in Hawaiian? Aren't you the guys that invented Arameic or something?

20 Schools over 3 years and a minority as well... dude you need an extreme makeover.

Undergrad School & Degree:
pre-pharm from PVCC completed 3 years ago
Graduate School & Degree:
finishing up my bachelors at ASU west

I'd say finish the degree, that will be the thing that helps to ..further.. distinguish yourself. Apply every year until you're dead... eventually some committee will throw their hands up in the air, laugh, and say oh what the heck give the guy a chance.

Your friends and family are SUPPOSED to tell you you'd make a great pharmacist... it means they like you!

You got heart, good luck man.

RxRob said:
. Apply every year until you're dead... eventually some committee will throw their hands up in the air, laugh, and say oh what the heck give the guy a chance.

Amen to that! :D

Don't be discouraged but rather resolve to give the process your all, eventually your determination will pay off. I am sure many people here have applied more than once, you are definitely not alone there.

Like freashbeatchris said, keep updating your application make sure MWU-CCP sees that you are determined to be part of their program. You need to set your self apart from the pool of alternates, do whatever you can to make that happen.

Good luck.

I'm sure your parents won't mind supporting you for 30 years while you shadow pharmacists and study for the PCAT, right? :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, I think it's impractical to keep on trying for than 3 times. Imagine all the time you could've been working and rolling in the benjamins instead of throwing your money to the pharmacy schools' applications. I would definitely have a back up plan to fall back on.

If, however, you truly feel that this is what you want to do, I would suggest you finish a BA degree, work full time, volunteer here and there for some experience, and reapply.

my stats are decent 3.35 GPA 78 on the PCAT, 3 years pharmacy experience. I'm thinking about honestly going into engineering, i've always been good at math and physics and i enjoyed them when i've taken those courses in my academic career. Yes i do speak Aramaic, and unfortunately i'm not considered a minority even though i'm middle eastern (when i applied to walgreens, i was classified as being "white")

TYoukhana said:
my stats are decent 3.35 GPA 78 on the PCAT, 3 years pharmacy experience. I'm thinking about honestly going into engineering, i've always been good at math and physics and i enjoyed them when i've taken those courses in my academic career. Yes i do speak Aramaic, and unfortunately i'm not considered a minority even though i'm middle eastern (when i applied to walgreens, i was classified as being "white")
Those are almost identical to my stats and I was accepted this cycle to UMKC. I have a 3.35 and a 79 pcat. I didn't have any pharmacy experience! My point, there is hope if you are not to "picky".

Wow! I'm surprised that you applied to 20 schools and weren't accepted with grades and GPA like that. Did you try applying to newer schools? Or applying really early to rolling admissions schools? Maybe some of those schools can give you feedback on what to improve on. Good Luck!

TYoukhana said:

TYoukhana said:

Those stats aren't bad at all. So tell us the truth, what's wrong with this picture? I mean there has to be something. :confused:

Also, how can you be classified as something you are not? :thumbdown:

Did you have a chance to interview at some of those schools....maybe the problem is with your interviews? :confused: I would think most schools will give you atleast an interview with those stats.

Have someone read over your personal statement (Be careful about plagiarism though, not that I believe that anyone would do that but...) Maybe ask someone that you trust or someone who has already gotten in. There's not much else that they look at other than your letters of recommendation, grades, pcat, and experience (and you have enough of most of those things.) BTW, do you have a bachelor's degree? Also, words of encouragement... I felt the same way, I was waitlisted at a school that absolutely blew me away at the interview because i loved it there so much and I was devastated but I got my acceptance letter a week later. There's always hope.

He's not being classified as something he's "not" technically. The US considers people of North African, Middle Easten, and Persian heritage to be "white." They are, I suppose, considered to be the "other" (non-European origin) whites.

In 2004:
Avg GPA of accepted applicants: 3.44 (http://www.pharmcas.com/docs/GPAFINAL.pdf)

Avg PCAT score for accepted applicants: 78.17 (http://www.pharmcas.com/docs/PCAT.pdf)

One thing that might be hurting you is that you're right at the average. If you worked on getting a higher PCAT score, you might have better chances of getting accepted. I would shoot for 85+ composite.

Another thing is, I know the people in admissions usually give preference to university students over community college students. So, coming from a community college, you really need to have a good PCAT score or have a very high GPA.

Another suggestion is try applying at schools that aren't hard to get into. Midwestern-Chicago has a 1:10 ratio of accepted students to total applied. Midwestern-Glendale has a 1:10 ratio also. Here is a table with most school's acceptance ratios:

http://www.aacp.org/Docs/MainNavigation/InstitutionalData/6863_Tab8PSAR.pdf

One thing you might want to keep in mind is that some pharmacy schools require science courses to be within 5 years of the school year you are applying for.

Amith said:
Did you have a chance to interview at some of those schools....maybe the problem is with your interviews? :confused: I would think most schools will give you atleast an interview with those stats.

I'm assuming that the OP got interviews but i believe the major problem lies in your communication skills. In other words, do you know how to impress your listeners. The interviewers are looking for uniqueness, so if u can be more personal in your experiences whether pharmacy or not, they will find what you have to say more attractive. I believe that most schools, the interview counts a big deal, about 1/3 for usc.

Dont give up! And make sure you"ve added to your application each time you reapply.

to kochun, iuno what it is about my communication skills, i'm probably the best at getting my point across at work, and when i was speaking to the dean at midwestern CCP and i asked her a question, she winked smiled and replied by saying "that was the first time in my 15 years of being dean anyone has ever asked that question" then proceeeded to move on. I honestly don't know what it is. CCP's interview was also a written assignment and i did pretty well on it, i'm just not sure what's going on. I have about a year left to finish my bachelor's in life sciences but i honestly am losing hope, it's extremely discouraging applying year after year and not getting anywhere no matter how hard you try :(

TYoukhana said:
to kochun, iuno what it is about my communication skills, i'm probably the best at getting my point across at work, and when i was speaking to the dean at midwestern CCP and i asked her a question, she winked smiled and replied by saying "that was the first time in my 15 years of being dean anyone has ever asked that question" then proceeeded to move on. I honestly don't know what it is. CCP's interview was also a written assignment and i did pretty well on it, i'm just not sure what's going on. I have about a year left to finish my bachelor's in life sciences but i honestly am losing hope, it's extremely discouraging applying year after year and not getting anywhere no matter how hard you try :(

Im applying this winter to Midwestern of Chicago. That I think appears to be a wonderful school.
Try having practice interviews with people, and like everyone else said, try to increase your PCAT score. Maybe after you get your Bachelor's degree, that will give you an edge over most people.

What kind of question did you ask the dean?