So I email my calc professor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Organic20

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I email my calc professor to see what grade I made in the class. I asked him during the final exam to know what was my average and if I had possibilities to make an A. So he said that I need a 96 on the final to get an A, so I asked him when can I email him to know my grade.

So he said: "email me by friday" so I did email him and he just wrote me back you did a good job. So what the heck does that mean? Did a get a B in the class? So I email him again asking about this but he has not respond.

What do you guys think??

Members don't see this ad.

So I email my calc professor to see what grade I made in the class. I asked him during the final exam to know what was my average and if I had possibilities to make an A. So he said that I need a 96 on the final to get an A, so I asked him when can I email him to know my grade.

So he said: "email me by friday" so I did email him and he just wrote me back you did a good job. So what the heck does that mean? Did a get a B in the class? So I email him again asking about this but he has not respond.

What do you guys think??

Definitely a B. If I remember correctly from when I was in the first grade, A = Excellent and B = Good.

(Just kidding. Perhaps you were very close to a 96 so he's bumping your grade up, but doesn't want any other, less deserving students to find out?)

Umm, why don't you just wait for grades to come out, just like everyone else... and besides, you wouldn't want to annoy the professor (although you may have already done this with the second e-mail), especially when you might need a little bump.

Members don't see this ad :)
Umm, why don't you just wait for grades to come out, just like everyone else... and besides, you wouldn't want to annoy the professor (although you may have already done this with the second e-mail), especially when you might need a little bump.
I'll second that. You know that saying about it being better to have people thing you're a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt? Yeah, that counts for emails, too. Don't be the obnoxious kid who pesters professors about grades.

well do you think you got a 96? you can't wait a few days for grades to be released?

Its one thing to be anxious about grades, but its another to pester people for them.

What do you guys think??

It's a violation of privacy to send out grades by e-mail. Perhaps that is all that this professor is going to give you. If your school doesn't have a "Blackboard"-type grade reporting system, you are not likely to get anything other than a "did well" or "good job".

I'll second that. You know that saying about it being better to have people thing you're a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt? Yeah, that counts for emails, too. Don't be the obnoxious kid who pesters professors about grades.

My roommate actually managed to get a B by doing this in second semester bio lab; he kept asking about his grade and asking where the cutoff for an A would be, and finally the prof literally said to him, "You know, maybe getting a B would do you some good," and sure enough, 2 weeks later he got a B in the class.

It's a violation of privacy to send out grades by e-mail. Perhaps that is all that this professor is going to give you. If your school doesn't have a "Blackboard"-type grade reporting system, you are not likely to get anything other than a "did well" or "good job".

+1. Professors are not supposed to send out grades by email. Him saying that you did a good job was probably his way of telling you without telling you that you got what you needed.

My roommate actually managed to get a B by doing this in second semester bio lab; he kept asking about his grade and asking where the cutoff for an A would be, and finally the prof literally said to him, "You know, maybe getting a B would do you some good," and sure enough, 2 weeks later he got a B in the class.

Hmm that sounds ethical :rolleyes:

OP, I agree with the other who said that you should just cool your jets and waiiitttt. Go celebrate being done with class. Find a hobby. Whatever

not if you send the email via blackboard or some other system where your official email is kept on file. i asked a professor to email me about my final after they were graded and he did, and told me my final grade in the class. although i guess he could have been pulling my chain and you wont truly know your final grade until you see your transcript. and i'm sure privacy requirements vary by state.

not if you send the email via blackboard or some other system where your official email is kept on file. i asked a professor to email me about my final after they were graded and he did, and told me my final grade in the class. although i guess he could have been pulling my chain and you wont truly know your final grade until you see your transcript. and i'm sure privacy requirements vary by state.
If he's going to send the email via blackboard why don't you just log on and find out for yourself?

:eek:

If he's going to send the email via blackboard why don't you just log on and find out for yourself?
no, i'm saying if the professor were to email you via blackboard, before the grades are posted officially.

Wait, it's unethical for profs to email you grades? I had two professors who emailed me the grades to a midterm, because they already finished grading them weeks in advance, but there were a couple people who hadn't taken it yet so they couldn't return them.

Hell, I've had a professor email us her excel spreadsheet with EVERYONEs grades for the entire semester. (No names though... everything was arranged by the last four digits of our student ID #s.)

Hell, I've had a professor email us her excel spreadsheet with EVERYONEs grades for the entire semester. (No names though... everything was arranged by the last four digits of our student ID #s.)
it depends on school policy. it's not unethical, but schools are paranoid. Email is not a secure method of communication.

I would just wait & see.

A 96 is tough.. math is probably one of the easier subjects to get it in, but I know I would crack under the pressure to score that high. Some exams that's only one point!

Good luck =)

just as to let you all know actually I managed to be the highest score(100%) in the class and obviously I got an A. Lesson Learned not always good job means a B. The standards of this professor are very high and he will unlikely congratulate any student at all so this is the answer of why just said to me good job.

Also, during the whole semester I did not asked him about my grades and never went to his office so he did not get pissed off when I asked him at the end of the semester. By the way, he knew my name out of 300 students so he knows me better that I know him