So I've Narrowed Down Schools I Want to Apply to - Now I Need Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Artful Dodger

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to get an idea of how "friendly" any of the schools I've chosen to apply to are to out-of-state applicants. So if you have any information, I'll be grateful if you share it with me & to whoever is curious. Thanks!

edit: Is having 13 choices (no superstition lol) bad or solid? I know this may sound like a rookie question, but...Will I have more work (ie writing more essays, answering survey questions, etc) to do with more choices?

Also, is it true that private institutions have no preference for in-state & out-of-state applicants? Assuming that is true, most of the schools I have listed are private institutions:

1) Boston University
2) Columbia University
3) Creighton University
4) New York University (NYU)
5) Nova Southeastern University
6) Tufts University
7) University of Southern California (USC)
8) University of Missouri Kansas City (UMKC) <---I'm considered in-state for this school
9) Arizona School of Dentistry & Oral Health (ASDOH)
10) University at Buffalo School of D
11) Temple University
12) University of Pittsburgh
13) Marquette University

By the way, my stats (so far) are 3.63 sci gpa and 3.80 overall gpa. And I think I've taken all the tough courses for now, so the gpa should be stabilized...

I haven't taken the DAT, but I'll be taking it shortly - 3 or 4 months from now.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm trying to get an idea of how "friendly" any of the schools I've chosen to apply to are to out-of-state applicants. So if you have any information, I'll be grateful if you share it with me & to whoever is curious. Thanks!

edit: Is having 13 choices (no superstition lol) bad or solid? I know this may sound like a rookie question, but...Will I have more work (ie writing more essays, answering survey questions, etc) to do with more choices?

Also, is it true that private institutions have no preference for in-state & out-of-state applicants? Assuming that is true, most of the schools I have listed are private institutions:

1) Boston University
2) Columbia University
3) Creighton University
4) New York University (NYU)
5) Nova Southeastern University
6) Tufts University
7) University of Southern California (USC)
8) University of Missouri Kansas City (UMKC) <---I'm considered in-state for this school
9) Arizona School of Dentistry & Oral Health (ASDOH)
10) University at Buffalo School of D
11) Temple University
12) University of Pittsburgh
13) Marquette University

By the way, my stats (so far) are 3.63 sci gpa and 3.80 overall gpa. And I think I've taken all the tough courses for now, so the gpa should be stabilized...

I haven't taken the DAT, but I'll be taking it shortly - 3 or 4 months from now.

yes private institutions have no preference. i think with your stats so far, 13 is a good number. I applied to 13 schools also, although looking back, i could have easily removed 5 of them. In terms of essays and such, i only had 2 schools which had essays in their secondaries, and they were only a paragraph each. Dont sweat it. I guess just double check those are the schools you would be willing to attend, because some of them will be pretty expensive, and some people decide to apply all over again hoping to get into cheaper schools, even though they got into the pricey schools.

The other thing is, why take the DAT so late? you should get it done with by early august so you have a shot at early interviews. Make sure your application is ready before you take the DAT.

Your list of schools is pretty friendly to out of state students.

I'm also taking the DAT in late August. I talked to my state school, and they said it would not pose any issues. I wish I could take that DAT earlier, but I have a lot going on this summer with school and work.

I seem to remember that even though DAT scores are now sent electronically, it takes a couple weeks for schools to receive them (or is it now a couple of days?).

EDIT - ADA.org says it takes 2-3 weeks for scores to be sent to the schools... This seems quite long considering they are sent electronically.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You might want to take the DAT a bit earlier. 3-4 months from now would already be sometime in September, which is quite late. :)

I am applying to 15 schools. Yeah crazy I know...
I am taking my DATs in July and I am already freaking out... Sweet life! But yeah I have heard the earlier the better. Good luck!

Thanks a lot for the wonderful answers. And as for taking the DAT earlier, I'll try to schedule the soonest date I can take it.