So Much Competition.

Started by Adaggiote
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Ha! You think you're so funny. You make it seem like doing four years of undergrad and getting into medical school while holding everyone's hand and walking down the yellow brick road to med schl is easy and must be done. Well..you are absolutely wrong. Being in HS does not mean a thing.....I actually know a lot of successful premed students in undergrad who keep to themselves...and do not worry about any crap...

Everywhere I look around me, there is a large amount of competition trying to get into medical school. At my church, there are at least 3 premeds: me, pastor's son (who is a soph in wtamu), and the pastor's daughter. At my school, I have even come to despise my closest friend just because they are premeds. At my church, I casually monitor my friends who are premeds by monitoring their progress. However, I am fair ands do not bash anyone's hopes and beliefs of getting in. I know I am loosing a lot of friends and frankly do not care. I know I am loosing a lot of friends and frankly, I do not care....

Comments? Flames??


Haha...umm... point made? Many pre-meds don't care how everyone else is doing. Either you should ignore them or you should work with them. While in HS, your attitude probably won't hurt you b/c, while immature, it's expected. However, if you have this kind of attitude in college, it'll get beat out of you and if you don't learn, someone bigger, tougher and more connected on the playground will make sure your hopes of a medical career are fried, consumed, and sh*tted out to become the fertilizer of someone else's presentation on "How to Not Get Into Med School."
 
I would advise the OP to rush a social Fraternity during undergrad so this 'stressful competition' doesn't eat him alive.

You're going to be working the rest of your life. Study hard, do what you need to do, but don't sacrifice the joy in youth at the cost of your aspiration for a career in medicine. Many of my peers that are on the same track I am have become some of my best friends. Networking is essential.

Nobody is going to confide in, or trust, a loner-type doctor.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Adaggiote... I helped other premeds out. I still do. A lot of times, it's easier to help others out if you have more confidence in yourself.
 
I would advise the OP to rush a social Fraternity during undergrad so this 'stressful competition' doesn't eat him alive.

You're going to be working the rest of your life. Study hard, do what you need to do, but don't sacrifice the joy in youth at the cost of your aspiration for a career in medicine. Many of my peers that are on the same track I am have become some of my best friends. Networking is essential.

Nobody is going to confide in, or trust, a loner-type doctor.

I am not saying I am a loner. And I do not really appreciate people coming here and saying things like they know my background and where I have been. Though I am still in HS, I have seen and done things you guys could not even imagine. I know from PERSONAL EXPERIENCE that kissing ass and being friendly is not the way to go, especially when dealing with your future or your success. People I have helped to the stars have dumped me and have arbitrarily assigned me as one of their enemies when I helped them. A recent example is in Academic Decathlon. A girl came to me (even cried to me) for help, so I decided to TYPE all my classnotes and send them to her via email. After reading the note, she finally made the team (with one of the highest scores). Are these the kinds of people I will be dealing with who will be ungrateful. I did not want flowers or candy from her. I just wanted a smile...or maybe even a thank you. Today, she hangs with her 'hallway crew' and anytime I pass, they roll and give me strange looks. You can't trust people.
 
If you already know that being friendly isn't the way to go, then why are you asking about what to do when people are on the same path as you? There will be competition in EVERYTHING you do in life man. And also, I think you need to chill as everyone else has said. What have you done that noone here can 'imagine'?
 
Adaggiote... I helped other premeds out. I still do. A lot of times, it's easier to help others out if you have more confidence in yourself.

I think this is a great point. This is really the difference between the desirable "calm confidence" and arrogance that you seem to be exuding, OP. You need to do what it takes to develop confidence in yourself so that you can serve others without being afraid of them taking advantage of you or becoming offended when they don't respond as you had hoped. Honestly, we are all human. We are all imperfect.

I am not saying I am a loner. And I do not really appreciate people coming here and saying things like they know my background and where I have been. Though I am still in HS, I have seen and done things you guys could not even imagine. I know from PERSONAL EXPERIENCE that kissing ass and being friendly is not the way to go, especially when dealing with your future or your success. People I have helped to the stars have dumped me and have arbitrarily assigned me as one of their enemies when I helped them. A recent example is in Academic Decathlon. A girl came to me (even cried to me) for help, so I decided to TYPE all my classnotes and send them to her via email. After reading the note, she finally made the team (with one of the highest scores). Are these the kinds of people I will be dealing with who will be ungrateful. I did not want flowers or candy from her. I just wanted a smile...or maybe even a thank you. Today, she hangs with her 'hallway crew' and anytime I pass, they roll and give me strange looks. You can't trust people.

I think you have a lot still to learn, young Padawan. Much of what you said above simply does not pass muster. You are right; we don't know you, but you have told us a lot about yourself in this thread, whether you meant to or not. You are a HS student who sees himself as smart but is probably not that well-liked by his peers. You might be someone who at one point had several groups of friends but feels he got burned. It is likely others have rejected you because you have rejected them and now you wonder why they don't respond as you might have hoped when you do them favors. You seem to have an innate fear of others' success stemming from your own fear (even belief) that you will fail. The ultimate result of this, without a change in both attitude and behavior, is likely to be not only failure to enter medicine but a high risk of failure to thrive at the collegiate level academically OR psychosocially. Some of your comments on here point me in the direction of suspecting the early development of a personality d/o (PD). Frankly, you might want to sit down with a guidance counselor at school and see if they can help you. If you do have a PD developing, that is something you are unlikely to see in yourself (by definition) without others pointing it out. Further, PDs are a very serious condition and most treatable early on. By around age 18-21, most of this is fairly solidified and the older one is, the tougher PDs are to treat. I really would suggest you speak with a counselor at your school.
 
I am not saying I am a loner. And I do not really appreciate people coming here and saying things like they know my background and where I have been. Though I am still in HS, I have seen and done things you guys could not even imagine. I know from PERSONAL EXPERIENCE that kissing ass and being friendly is not the way to go, especially when dealing with your future or your success. People I have helped to the stars have dumped me and have arbitrarily assigned me as one of their enemies when I helped them. A recent example is in Academic Decathlon. A girl came to me (even cried to me) for help, so I decided to TYPE all my classnotes and send them to her via email. After reading the note, she finally made the team (with one of the highest scores). Are these the kinds of people I will be dealing with who will be ungrateful. I did not want flowers or candy from her. I just wanted a smile...or maybe even a thank you. Today, she hangs with her 'hallway crew' and anytime I pass, they roll and give me strange looks. You can't trust people.


No flaming here just calling it like I see it. You sound like a really insecure kid. If ur notes were so good, why did she score higher than u? They were YOUR notes. Not everybody is trying to take advantage of you. Also, ur other post says u are likely going to community college. If this is true, you should really re-evaluate things. Work on making yourself competitive first, then you can worry about your "competition."
 
I am not saying I am a loner. And I do not really appreciate people coming here and saying things like they know my background and where I have been. Though I am still in HS, I have seen and done things you guys could not even imagine. I know from PERSONAL EXPERIENCE that kissing ass and being friendly is not the way to go, especially when dealing with your future or your success. People I have helped to the stars have dumped me and have arbitrarily assigned me as one of their enemies when I helped them. A recent example is in Academic Decathlon. A girl came to me (even cried to me) for help, so I decided to TYPE all my classnotes and send them to her via email. After reading the note, she finally made the team (with one of the highest scores). Are these the kinds of people I will be dealing with who will be ungrateful. I did not want flowers or candy from her. I just wanted a smile...or maybe even a thank you. Today, she hangs with her 'hallway crew' and anytime I pass, they roll and give me strange looks. You can't trust people.

Actually, you are right. Competing in an academic decathlon is something I have not done (though I have seen Billy Madison).

As for the other bolded sections: Don't help crying strangers with the expectation of anything in return. Lesson learned. No need to burn everyone, everywhere, for all time. Some of my best learning is done by writing up and exchanging course notes with other people.
 
Actually, you are right. Competing in an academic decathlon is something I have not done (though I have seen Billy Madison).

As for the other bolded sections: Don't help crying strangers with the expectation of anything in return. Lesson learned. No need to burn everyone, everywhere, for all time. Some of my best learning is done by writing up and exchanging course notes with other people.

Though, occasionally, helping a cute crying stranger turns out quite nicely. 😀


But don't expect it to, because it usually won't.
 
There's a huge difference between being cooperative and being a doormat. Learn that difference and you're golden.
 
I am not saying I am a loner. And I do not really appreciate people coming here and saying things like they know my background and where I have been. Though I am still in HS, I have seen and done things you guys could not even imagine. I know from PERSONAL EXPERIENCE that kissing ass and being friendly is not the way to go, especially when dealing with your future or your success. People I have helped to the stars have dumped me and have arbitrarily assigned me as one of their enemies when I helped them. A recent example is in Academic Decathlon. A girl came to me (even cried to me) for help, so I decided to TYPE all my classnotes and send them to her via email. After reading the note, she finally made the team (with one of the highest scores). Are these the kinds of people I will be dealing with who will be ungrateful. I did not want flowers or candy from her. I just wanted a smile...or maybe even a thank you. Today, she hangs with her 'hallway crew' and anytime I pass, they roll and give me strange looks. You can't trust people.

i-lold.jpg
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I smoked a doobie in high school, well several doobies, ok, I did alot of crazy stuff in high school. And here I am at age 28 graduating from med school and about to become a resident in June, a surgeon no less. I would like to go to my 10th year high school reunion this summer, but guess what, I will be working my ass off as a resident, so perhaps I can make my 50th high school reunion, in well, 40 years.

I will just be an old retired surgeon in 40 years. And my wife, well, I am not married, but my wife, forty years from now, will be beautiful, and I will kiss and caress every lovely wrinkle on her lovely body, before I fall asleep each night with the window open to let the desert air caress our old naked bodies. And when we wake up in the morning, we will look great to each other, it is a matter of perspective, make some oatmeal, eat some fruit, probably frozen berries that thaw fast in the oatmeal when you pour on the milk, and go for a walk in the sunshine. A sly smile will pass between us. And when night falls, well, the unexpected will happen.
 
I smoked a doobie in high school, well several doobies, ok, I did alot of crazy stuff in high school. And here I am at age 28 graduating from med school and about to become a resident in June, a surgeon no less. I would like to go to my 10th year high school reunion this summer, but guess what, I will be working my ass off as a resident, so perhaps I can make my 50th high school reunion, in well, 40 years.

I will just be an old retired surgeon in 40 years. And my wife, well, I am not married, but my wife, forty years from now, will be beautiful, and I will kiss and caress every lovely wrinkle on her lovely body, before I fall asleep each night with the window open to let the desert air caress our old naked bodies. And when we wake up in the morning, we will look great to each other, it is a matter of perspective, make some oatmeal, eat some fruit, probably frozen berries that thaw fast in the oatmeal when you pour on the milk, and go for a walk in the sunshine. A sly smile will pass between us. And when night falls, well, the unexpected will happen.

You'll wake up and realize you were dreaming?

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFCYN_dvmpU[/YOUTUBE]


J/K J/K

I totally agree. It is all a matter of perspective.
 
Ha! You think you're so funny. You make it seem like doing four years of undergrad and getting into medical school while holding everyone's hand and walking down the yellow brick road to med schl is easy and must be done. Well..you are absolutely wrong. Being in HS does not mean a thing.....I actually know a lot of successful premed students in undergrad who keep to themselves...and do not worry about any crap...
Children should be seen and not heard.
 
OP life is tough and people suck, but you can't shut yourself out from everyone else. And not everyone sucks just the large majority of people. Don't contribute to the suckage. Me and my friends help each other out all the time. I doubt any of us thinks about the other taking a seat from med school from each other. You gotta have a support group, who else are you gonna vent with about studying for the MCAT or other things?

I went through part of highschool as a loner, and trust me having friends is so much better than being alone. (Although I do like being alone at times, its just who I am).
 
I think this is a great point. This is really the difference between the desirable "calm confidence" and arrogance that you seem to be exuding, OP. You need to do what it takes to develop confidence in yourself so that you can serve others without being afraid of them taking advantage of you or becoming offended when they don't respond as you had hoped. Honestly, we are all human. We are all imperfect.



I think you have a lot still to learn, young Padawan. Much of what you said above simply does not pass muster. You are right; we don't know you, but you have told us a lot about yourself in this thread, whether you meant to or not. You are a HS student who sees himself as smart but is probably not that well-liked by his peers. You might be someone who at one point had several groups of friends but feels he got burned. It is likely others have rejected you because you have rejected them and now you wonder why they don't respond as you might have hoped when you do them favors. You seem to have an innate fear of others' success stemming from your own fear (even belief) that you will fail. The ultimate result of this, without a change in both attitude and behavior, is likely to be not only failure to enter medicine but a high risk of failure to thrive at the collegiate level academically OR psychosocially. Some of your comments on here point me in the direction of suspecting the early development of a personality d/o (PD). Frankly, you might want to sit down with a guidance counselor at school and see if they can help you. If you do have a PD developing, that is something you are unlikely to see in yourself (by definition) without others pointing it out. Further, PDs are a very serious condition and most treatable early on. By around age 18-21, most of this is fairly solidified and the older one is, the tougher PDs are to treat. I really would suggest you speak with a counselor at your school.

HEY!!! I do not need a couselor!!!!!!!😡

But I do understand what you are trying to get acress to me. I am trying to aim for a career that I will help people and improve the quality of life. I guess I should stop acting selfish and learn to ebrace my colleagues when they need it. However, it does not hurt at all to have a little competition, especially during junior year. Thanks.
 
Focus on something more important, like this heartwarming story I found in the news. This will teach us how to become better doctors:

1302903867173.jpg
 
It's a fake story, by the way.

It'd be macabre if it was real.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Fake story. Elephants are really smart. Good memories. I have often wondered , if I were transformed into a little bird, would my cat, the kitten that I have cared for, a rescue cat that I have loved,that slept next me on a pillow, kill me if I were somehow to become a small little bird, would my cat kill me with no remorse, if we made eye contact and my cat recognized me and knew that this little bird were really me, would she kill me with no remorse, I hope not, but I am not sure.
 
Dude, that elephant story was a killer! 🙂

@ OP: Dude, do your parents make you go to church?
 
HEY!!! I do not need a couselor!!!!!!!😡

But I do understand what you are trying to get acress to me. I am trying to aim for a career that I will help people and improve the quality of life. I guess I should stop acting selfish and learn to ebrace my colleagues when they need it. However, it does not hurt at all to have a little competition, especially during junior year. Thanks.
^
wait, this whole time we've been arguing against a hormonal High schooler??!??!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?

?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!


?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?

:smack:

I don't know whether to sigh in frustration or laugh.
 
Every time I watch the Christian the Lion video I get a tear in my eye. These two Australian guys in their twenties raise a lion cub in London during the sixties. You could actually buy a lion cub at a store in those days. So they hang out with the lion cub, who was named Christian, he rides in the back of their convertible as they drive around London and they all play soccer together in the park.

Of course, eventually the cub grows up and he no longer can ride around in the backseat of their car - so they transport the lion to Kenya and release him into the bush. These guys return to Kenya about 5 years later and they encounter Christian and the female lions with whom he has mated. Christian stares at them from a distance.

Eventually Christian approaches the men and rears up on his hind legs and joyfully embraces one of the men with his paws, licking his face with great affection.

Damn, I know I am sentimental, but that gets me every time I watch it.
 
OP don't make your past experiences hurt you in the long run by being a loner. There are many people I helped at my school who never said a thank you or anything. Guess what? I remember everything and I forgive but don't forget. This world doesn't have a lot of genuine people out here. There are some students, like myself, who is very genuine and will help you especially when it comes to medicine. On my campus I am an unofficial mini advisor and my pre-med advisor refers students to me. I receive calls, emails and texts from people I don't even know who wants my assistance. I <3 helping people and at the end of the day I am going to receive a blessing either now or later on down the line. Just do what makes you happy but in medical school be cautious because there are a lot of gunners 👍.
 
Every time I watch the Christian the Lion video I get a tear in my eye. These two Australian guys in their twenties raise a lion cub in London during the sixties. You could actually buy a lion cub at a store in those days. So they hang out with the lion cub, who was named Christian, he rides in the back of their convertible as they drive around London and they all play soccer together in the park.

Of course, eventually the cub grows up and he no longer can ride around in the backseat of their car - so they transport the lion to Kenya and release him into the bush. These guys return to Kenya about 5 years later and they encounter Christian and the female lions with whom he has mated. Christian stares at them from a distance.

Eventually Christian approaches the men and rears up on his hind legs and joyfully embraces one of the men with his paws, licking his face with great affection.

Damn, I know I am sentimental, but that gets me every time I watch it.

Are you a guy? I feel like the guys I've talked to about similar lion befriending stories secretly desire to have this lion relationship. Haven't met as many girls that are so affected by it.

I, on the other hand, always wanted to communicate with forest animals through song just like in Disney movies.