So much Oraganic on the MCATs??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moose45

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I been reading how theres so much organic on the latest MCATs (like 2 passages or more) and I'm pretty weak in organic..so for you guys who have already taken the real exam or taken many practise tests, which topics do u think I should concentrate on?? :)

Members don't see this ad.

Um, I am not sure where you have been reading but there has actually been a lot less organic chemistry lately. I believe the official break down is around 85% bio and 15% organic chemistry.

It seems to be the trend that they are slowly phasing out organic chemistry in exchange for more "advanced" topics in genetics and biochemistry. I believe there has been a growing trend among more and more medical schools in requiring biochemistry. I wouldn't be surprised, if in 10 years, med schools required biochem over the full year of organic chemistry.

If you get 2 passages on the BS section, maybe some standalone too, that ends up being about 30% of the BS section. Getting 30% of the questions wrong can be the difference between getting a 15 and a 9 on BS, assuming that you're able to answer every single bio question correctly.

The mcat I did on Saturday seemed to have alot of organic (3 passages), and they weren't just the general questions that are on the practice tests. There were specific questions that you would definitely have to have a good knowledge of organic for. So my suggestion is to not take organic lightly when studying! There are no specific topics to focus on, there was definitely a wide variety of questions. One passage was on TLC, the other on mustard gas, I can't remember the other one....

Members don't see this ad :)
Organic is something I wish the MCAT had more of. It's the one area that I'm really good on.

i think i had two orgo passages on my MCAT, but one of them was pretty avant-garde, unlike any practice orgo passage i had seen. i could usually count on orgo for some easy points in practice exams -- the class was recent and the questions straightforward -- but i wouldn't be surprised if that bizarro passage cost me points. is orgo making a comeback on the MCAT?

i think i had two orgo passages on my MCAT, but one of them was pretty avant-garde, unlike any practice orgo passage i had seen. i could usually count on orgo for some easy points in practice exams -- the class was recent and the questions straightforward -- but i wouldn't be surprised if that bizarro passage cost me points. is orgo making a comeback on the MCAT?

skinwoman, do you remember what topics your 2 orgo passages covered??

i remember one, and it was RE: a rather large drug molecule, applying broader bio concepts towards this one particularly challenging passage about the drug in question. for example, this wasn't a specific question, but a question about what type of receptor or drug action based on its structure wouldn't have been out of place here. the other passage -- and i only think there was a second -- was pretty straightforward in terms of ochem content. then again, everything was a blur by the end of the exam, and i'm not 100% sure that there was a second ochem passage. however, the name of the drug in the first ochem passage is permanently tattooed on my brain!