so my mind is racing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bevo

Radiology, R1
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
:confused:

ive been told a different date again, for what window I have to take step 1.

before, I was under the assumption from one lady in the school that I had till the end of febuary. No I have till the end of jan, but have a 2 week window to extend it into mid-feb because christmas, etc.

My plans were to complete my 5th semester Advanced intro to clinical medicine course in miami in mid november. Go home to texas till Jan and study on my own. Then take falcon review course till feb 18th and take step 1 in late feb.

My roomate were both going to do this. Now that falcon isn't an option, money becomes a huge issue again. We have money down on an apartment already.
Because we dont receive loans to live off of while studying for step 1. My roomate cannot stay in Miami to take kaplan there.
So it makes my cost of living double for living in miami. plus the already expensive cost of taking kaplan.

Im not sure how much taking kaplan will help me. Especially if I have to worry about driving, etc. Things I avoided with falcon. THings I know that tripped me up with the mcat.

I know I can go home and study, how well, I dont know. Home = lazy.

Im not sure how much I would accomplish studying by myself and away from people who aren't there studying with me.

Members don't see this ad.

I get the feeling SDN is kind of an "elite" board, and there's not much concern for your problems. Maybe try prep4usmle--I find it a lot viewer friendlier. I wonder if this will get erased by Big Brother...

As for anything practical, I can just tell you I think Goljan is all you need. And you could probably do that at home. You've got a lot of time--too much time, I think. It would be nice to be in a structured course/study environment or your motivation is probably going to fade.

At any rate, I have no good answers. I'm sorry about that. But I think I did give a good suggestion with boards that are receptive to students who are struggling to make it vs. those whose are struggling to have it made...

My 2 cents! :)

Goodluck!

We have plenty of concern here. Do you think that people just like to post high scores and not help other people out? Read a few of the other posts on here. None of us have to answer any of the questions that are posed on this forum. I spent plenty of time on www.prep4usmle.com and found it to be a quality source as well.

To answer the OP's question: Dont do a course. You will ony regret it. I believe that the following resources are enough to get you a score higher than the mean:

QBank
First Aid
A decent Pharm review (Lippincott, Lange, etc)
Path by Goljan or BRS
Physiology by Costanzo
Micro and Immuno by Jawetz/Levinson (Lange)
Robbins' review of path question book
NBME assessments

IF YOU HAVE TIME, research topics in a good book (like Robbins or even Harrisons) for more detail, and do other question resources (whatever you can find).

I believe that knowing this info very well is much better than knowing more info less well.

Hopefully that answers the question you were posing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Idiopathic said:
We have plenty of concern here. Do you think that people just like to post high scores and not help other people out? Read a few of the other posts on here. None of us have to answer any of the questions that are posed on this forum. I spent plenty of time on www.prep4usmle.com and found it to be a quality source as well.

To answer the OP's question: Dont do a course. You will ony regret it. I believe that the following resources are enough to get you a score higher than the mean:

QBank
First Aid
A decent Pharm review (Lippincott, Lange, etc)
Path by Goljan or BRS
Physiology by Costanzo
Micro and Immuno by Jawetz/Levinson (Lange)
Robbins' review of path question book
NBME assessments

IF YOU HAVE TIME, research topics in a good book (like Robbins or even Harrisons) for more detail, and do other question resources (whatever you can find).

I believe that knowing this info very well is much better than knowing more info less well.

Hopefully that answers the question you were posing.

I concur. ;)

thanks for the replies.

part of the problem is that Im not allowed to take it right away after finishing the basic sciences component our curriculum (unless I pretty much decided to start now and take a big hit in my grades by ignoring every class -- something Im not prepared todo).

We have this 9 (heard busy) weeks of advanced intro to clinical medicine. Really makes things akward.

as for prep4usmle - who said I didnt? Ive gotten more help on this website.

ive got to weigh things out.

thanks though.

No big deal--sweeping generalizations like "people here don't care" are obviously bogus, and I've definitely learned a lot and enjoyed this place, I'll be the first to say.

However, I remember clearly when lmbebo got lambasted for being from Ross (the one time I noticed: I'm not always reading up on posts)--and I've seen such biased views here on a number of other ocassions toward non-US, non-allopathic students (although it should not matter, I am US allopathic).

Unfortunately, I've seen a snooty/elitist attitude more times than I can count here which I have yet to see on the other board... I certainly haven't seen it from Idiopathic that I can ever remember, I should add. Quite the opposite, I have enjoyed your comments--and find this a good opportunity to say thank you if you're reading this, Idiopathic. Really nice reading you.

Moreover, with recent score postings, the outlier sub 200 score--I think I saw 2 or 3? in weeks and months of checking here--just don't show up here but very rarely. What am I saying?! I'm saying that the ethos of this board feels a lot different from the other board I mentioned where people are struggling to just pass in a lot of cases; dealing with the difficulties and biases IMGs face (financial handicaps, cultural, and professional--if not other--prejudices. The crowd there is often very polite, humble, and warm in the process--and these people are doctors already, forced to retake this student-level exam... At least that's how I felt there--a supportive environment that I really enjoy.

Not looking to start a debate or antagonize anyone (believe it or not!), but I do believe in what I originally stated to be true and wanted you to know the reasons I felt that way. I wish SDN was a warmer place to students who struggle--which definitely includes me--but I have not found it to be such. Again, I want to end by saying SDN is overall a great resource.

don't forget about the basic sciences as you go through clinical medicine. ask the attendings detailed questions about mechanisms, pathways, mol bio... and tell them you would like to be challenged on this seemingly "clinically irrelevant" material to help prepare you for step 1. don't look at your situation as "akward", but rather an opportunity to excel in a different way (though i believe baylor students have the option of taking boards during their 3rd year clerkships)

:thumbup:

lmbebo said:
thanks for the replies.

part of the problem is that Im not allowed to take it right away after finishing the basic sciences component our curriculum (unless I pretty much decided to start now and take a big hit in my grades by ignoring every class -- something Im not prepared todo).

We have this 9 (heard busy) weeks of advanced intro to clinical medicine. Really makes things akward.

as for prep4usmle - who said I didnt? Ive gotten more help on this website.

ive got to weigh things out.

thanks though.

jakstat33: Its something I didnt think about, and should explore. But I guess that depends on who I get and how willing and able they are. Hopefully I get some good people to work with.

Thanks.

For the elitest comments.
Ive seen it, more than once. But overall its not very common. Most people on this board are either a. helpful and encouraging or b. indifferent . very few have been too negative.

But the people who post on this board though tend to be US students primarily. The other boards like prep4usmle or usmle.net are primiarly IMG, not sure if any are FMG. ( I can't even remember which one is which anymore).

I think ive been around this board since 2000 (not sure how long posting). Been getting help ever since I decided to complete my pre-med reqs.
This place is a great resource because of the posters; don't know where Id be without it.