So...now what

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDmaybe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying this cycle, so I've spend the past three years filling my time with EC's and pre-med classes and whatnot. So what do I need to do now that I'm in the process of applying? Do EC's really matter that much anymore? I will be doing an engineering senior design project, so I've got a research-type activity. I feel like I've exhausted all my opportunities in the local hospital volunteer program and am looking for something a little different. Suggestions?

thx!

Members don't see this ad.

if youre applying and you have 13-15 meaningful activities i would say hold off on new things. after all you may not have time if you have to travel to interviews and wahtnot

Try some volunteering that's not medically related. I found in my experience that my interviewers were more impressed with my 4 hours a week commitment to the local homeless shelter than they were with my 60 hour a week summer research jobs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't give up all medically related ECs 1) just in case you don't get in anywhere and have to reapply next year, 2) as one is often asked about these things at interviews, and, 3) because it's good to have something medically relevant to insert into Letters of Interest/Update Letters later in the cycle. Why not try something new like volunteering in a hospice, nursing home, womens health clinic, or hospice?

Don't give up all medically related ECs 1) just in case you don't get in anywhere and have to reapply next year, 2) as one is often asked about these things at interviews, and, 3) because it's good to have something medically relevant to insert into Letters of Interest/Update Letters later in the cycle. Why not try something new like volunteering in a hospice, nursing home, womens health clinic, or hospice?

:thumbup: Agree, especially on point two. Many interviewers are going to go to the EC's for something to talk about.

"So, how is your work at the nursing home going?"

-"Actually, I quit that shortly after I submitted my application."

"Oh, well, you must be seeing a lot of interesting things shadowing in a city emergency department."

-"Nah, it sucked. I had to come in at like 9:30 in the morning; I stopped in July"

"Hm, well how-"

-"Look, let's cut to the chase here, I quit everything and now I spend my days watching Top Chef marathons. Wednesdays are the best days of all."

If you want to cut back on the EC's a bit, by all means, that's your prerogative. They're extra credit, after all. But I would keep a couple of things going that you actually like doing.

:thumbup: Agree, especially on point two. Many interviewers are going to go to the EC's for something to talk about.

"So, how is your work at the nursing home going?"

-"Actually, I quit that shortly after I submitted my application."

"Oh, well, you must be seeing a lot of interesting things shadowing in a city emergency department."

-"Nah, it sucked. I had to come in at like 9:30 in the morning; I stopped in July"

"Hm, well how-"

-"Look, let's cut to the chase here, I quit everything and now I spend my days watching Top Chef marathons. Wednesdays are the best days of all."

If you want to cut back on the EC's a bit, by all means, that's your prerogative. They're extra credit, after all. But I would keep a couple of things going that you actually like doing.

:laugh: I fell out of my chair btw, had maine lobster today, amazingggg