So what do you think?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jlmann2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the long post ahead of time. So currently I am finishing up a Health and Human Services major at one of my in state universities. The reason for the HHS degree is due to the fact I was an intended nursing major. I got into the school of nursing for the fall of 2009 but decided to decline. I have always wanted to be a physician but didn't have the courage to do so. This all changed when my childhood best friend and also college roommate was beaten and was left a paraplegic. It was this that really revamped my thinking and I decided I would do whatever it takes to become a physician. I have been working in a biology lab for the past three years doing undergraduate research with plants. I know the whole plant thing is not ideal but it is still research after all. I have only taken one of the pre-reqs for medical school (chem101) and have only taken four total science courses. Both my overall and science gpa are a 3.55. My overall will be a 3.6 when I graduate in December. My science gpa is high because my undergraduate research counts for my science gpa. The reason I know this is because I asked a pre med advisor at my school. Now I know my GPA is not wonderful but I really feel I can do well on the rest of my pre-reqs at one of the local colleges (not community colleges) near me. I have not always been the ideal student, I have an upward trend in my gpa and in the early part of my college career compiled 5 withdraws on my transcript. Two of which I took over and one was a mistake. I signed up for a class with a professor I enjoyed, but realized too late it was the same class I took last time with him. I know what your thinking but it was an online course that didn't require much work until mid semester (after the resign period ended). As of now I am about to start shadowing physicians in a local hospital and have been keeping in touch with a physician. He is somewhat of a mentor for me. Please I would love any advice.

Science grades
Microbiology C+
Chem. 101 c- then b- so C
Anatomy A-
Phys A-
I know they are not great but as I said before these were taken early in my college career. I have many more pre reqs to finish.
:)Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm no expert, but imho, if you do well in the rest of your pre-reqs, and have a good MCAT you've got a shot at it. The story of what happened to your friend would be great for your personal statement, and you could explain your initial not-so-hot grades there. You seem to know what you're getting into, and you've definitely got drive and passion. Good luck! :)

Sorry for the long post ahead of time. So currently I am finishing up a Health and Human Services major at one of my in state universities. The reason for the HHS degree is due to the fact I was an intended nursing major. I got into the school of nursing for the fall of 2009 but decided to decline. I have always wanted to be a physician but didn't have the courage to do so. This all changed when my childhood best friend and also college roommate was beaten and was left a paraplegic. It was this that really revamped my thinking and I decided I would do whatever it takes to become a physician. I have been working in a biology lab for the past three years doing undergraduate research with plants. I know the whole plant thing is not ideal but it is still research after all. I have only taken one of the pre-reqs for medical school (chem101) and have only taken four total science courses. Both my overall and science gpa are a 3.55. My overall will be a 3.6 when I graduate in December. My science gpa is high because my undergraduate research counts for my science gpa. The reason I know this is because I asked a pre med advisor at my school. Now I know my GPA is not wonderful but I really feel I can do well on the rest of my pre-reqs at one of the local colleges (not community colleges) near me. I have not always been the ideal student, I have an upward trend in my gpa and in the early part of my college career compiled 5 withdraws on my transcript. Two of which I took over and one was a mistake. I signed up for a class with a professor I enjoyed, but realized too late it was the same class I took last time with him. I know what your thinking but it was an online course that didn't require much work until mid semester (after the resign period ended). As of now I am about to start shadowing physicians in a local hospital and have been keeping in touch with a physician. He is somewhat of a mentor for me. Please I would love any advice.

Science grades
Microbiology C+
Chem. 101 c- then b- so C
Anatomy A-
Phys A-
I know they are not great but as I said before these were taken early in my college career. I have many more pre reqs to finish.
:)Thank you!

Firstly, it would really help if you went through your post and Bolded the main things like your major, your GPAs, the 5 Ws, your only prereq taken is CH101, upward trend, and the fact you've taken 4 total science courses. It would just be easier for people to come by and quickly respond.

Annnyway on to your situation. Actually, its quite simple :)
You have a year of postbac coming up. Hold a 3.7+.
You have an MCAT coming up. Hold a 30+.

I think you will be interviewed after that. Actually, I'm fairly confident you will be, especially with what seems like a compelling personal statement in the making. After that, just impress at the interview, and you're in!

Oh and, I don't think all the Ws will be a big deal, as long as you provide good reasons.

A 3.6 cGPA is perfectly reasonable, and it looks like you are well motivated to do well in the rest of your prerequisite classes. Shadowing is generally expected and so is community service and clinical experience, which most combine into clinical volunteering. I'd try to get that started as soon as you can (in a hospital or clinic or nursing home), since most applicants list about a year and a half of this. Adcomms will want to see that you've tested your interest in becoming a physician with this type of activity.