DO So What Now? - Need a plan.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JibsGuy52

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Delete.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your DO list is about as comprehensive as it can get for a Canadian student, so that's definitely not the problem. Theoretically your stats should have at least gotten you a couple of interviews somewhere, but I'm Canadian too and my own DO cycle has been going horribly, so I really don't know what's going on there. Do you think you may have a red flag somewhere? I've applied to most of the schools you've listed but they just gave me silence, and didn't actively reject me, which is why I'm surprised they actually rejected you.

It is my impression that DO schools are now being confronted with the difficulties associated with matching their international grads. Many residency programs are not willing to go through the expense and hassle of the visas necessary to employ them....

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have to concur with the two above me, I think not a lot of Canadians have been having success getting into DO this year unfortunately :(.

I would see your options as being, re-write your MCAT since internationals are held to a higher standard, get into a reputable SMP and re-apply.

I think your MCAT + GPA is showing 'who you really are' so to speak. Even if your last 2 years were 4.0s that 505 is holding you back IMO because it shows that you're a 70?th percentile student.

I have to concur with the two above me, I think not a lot of Canadians have been having success getting into DO this year unfortunately :(.

I would see your options as being, re-write your MCAT since internationals are held to a higher standard, get into a reputable SMP and re-apply.

I think your MCAT + GPA is showing 'who you really are' so to speak. Even if your last 2 years were 4.0s that 505 is holding you back IMO because it shows that you're a 70?th percentile student.

I think SMP is my next move. Do you know any that are reputable? Definitely going to be applying to Touro's SMP.

It is my impression that DO schools are now being confronted with the difficulties associated with matching their international grads. Many residency programs are not willing to go through the expense and hassle of the visas necessary to employ them....

Thanks @gyngyn. I notice you frequently comment on my posts, which does not go unnoticed. My next question is do you know any reputable SMP programs? Looks like I need to set my sights on MSU. With that said, I was recommended by an advisor that MSU's 1 year physiology masters does look good for MSU hopefuls.

Do you think you may have a red flag somewhere? I've applied to most of the schools you've listed but they just gave me silence, and didn't actively reject me, which is why I'm surprised they actually rejected you.

I emailed most of the schools that sent me a rejection. Most of the answers were the 3.2sGPA. Assuming that is the red flag for most schools.

Thanks @gyngyn. I notice you frequently comment on my posts, which does not go unnoticed. My next question is do you know any reputable SMP programs? Looks like I need to set my sights on MSU. With that said, I was recommended by an advisor that MSU's 1 year physiology masters does look good for MSU hopefuls.
We don't get a lot of SMP grads, so I can't give you any recommendations.
The programs should be able to give you outcomes for their program, though. Be sure to ask about internationals specifically.

Reactions: 1 user
I will be around a 3.45 cGPA and 3.24 sGPA. I am a US premed. Taking the MCAT in April 2017. Is my sGPA that is going to hold me back from getting accepted? I am a little scared/nervous. Good luck to the rest of the applicants. However, I have seen a decent posters that get in DO school with that GPA or lower, maybe for Canadian students is tougher (international student, visa app, etc.). Best of luck.

I will be around a 3.45 cGPA and 3.24 sGPA. I am a US premed. Taking the MCAT in April 2017. Is my sGPA that is going to hold me back from getting accepted? I am a little scared/nervous. Good luck to the rest of the applicants. However, I have seen a decent posters that get in DO school with that GPA or lower, maybe for Canadian students is tougher (international student, visa app, etc.). Best of luck.
You really need your own thread. This one is for OP...

You really need your own thread. This one is for OP...
You are right, I will make my own thread with more detail including the mcat score when i get it and EC's. I was just wondering what would be a good range for my MCAT that would me give me a good chance at a DO school.

Reactions: 1 user