So Where is Everyone Applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vesti

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Its that time of year! So where is everyone planning on sending apps? I am trying to narrow my top 9 down to 5 or 6! How's everyone else coming on final decisions?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I'm new here, and figured this is a good thread to introduce myself.

I'll be applying to Northeastern University this fall, and that's it. I'm a bit jealous of the people here talking about all the schools they're applying to. I can't do that, unfortunately.

I'm a 35 year-old stay at home dad, former high school teacher and audio engineer before that. After staying home with my kids for the past 4 years, I'm looking to change careers and follow my dreams. It's never too late for that, is it? But having a family means that my choices are more limited. I like what I've seen from NEU, and I'm taking a course there right now. They seem like they are open to students with non-traditional backgrounds (as in, not CD). I have degrees in Music and Technology and in Recording Engineering. I think there will be some crossover there.

NEU only takes like 8-10 people a year, and that seems pretty standard. I'm worried about having all my eggs in one basket, but I don't really have any other options for AuD programs that work for my family. My wife has a great job, we have a nice house, my kids are enrolled in school... this is where I have to stay, and NEU is the only school in the area with an AuD program.

I'm hoping that being male might give me a slight edge in consideration. My current instructor said he's going to speak with the committee personally, but since he's in the department I'm applying to, he can't write me a letter of recommendation. Seems pretty silly to me, but maybe his talking to them is better than a letter. I'm not sure.

I took the GRE last weekend, and did better than NEU's requirements, and my college GPA is good enough, too (although, not as good as I'd like). But college was 13 years ago! I'm very different now.

I haven't seen anything about NEU here. Any thoughts?

I will be applying to NUE as well! I have heard great things about their program although I am applying to this school as my "impossible" school. I figure why not.. I am applying to a total of 6 programs. It is insane trying to gather all the resources and be organized at the same time. I am also applying to Minnesota, Arizona, Colorado, Nebraska, St.Louis, and NEU. I think that I will get into at least one, I am hoping :). Considering I come from the West Coast moving to Northeastern would be a huge change.

My dad is a sound engineer working for televison shows!! awesome!!

Well where is everyone else applying!!?!?!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow. Married with children. That puts you at a slight personal disadvantage as far as most things go...having a difficult time managing my schedule WITHOUT kids at this point. Without my military background and drive to persist I would have probably completely dropped the ball already.

At least I have full support from the significant other.

Good luck

I just started the program and would say that having kids is not a disadvantage but a huge advantage--especially if you plan to go into pediatrics. You have probably learned a lot about child communicative development just by being a dad. I have an infant at home and a supportive wife who has allowed me to study and be a better student. But I will say that life in a doctorate program is rigorous and demanding. Having support from the spouse is a huge plus. One has to dedicate a part of his/her life in order to do well in this program. This may mean sacrificing a little family time for library time. Sad, but true.

I will be applying at U Wash, UT Austin, UN Lincoln, U of Utah, and Towson U!

Hi
I saw your post, I applied to Salus University's program in their college of Audiology. It is the only college of audiology in the country. I went for a tour and interview and I have a great feeling about getting in. I LOVED it there. Everything about it. They have a medical focus and it is really hands on. I do not think that I would go anywhere else now. They have the most intense curriculum, you can look at it online. You do real medical classes and then their audiology classes are all hands on. The building is beautiful and they had more equipment than the audiology program at any other school I looked at including Towson, Gallaudet, Vanderbilt, Montclair, Northwestern, and Arizona Health Science. I was honestly blown away. Honestly, it is hard for me to think about going anywhere else now. I see it like the Harvard of AuD programs. I know they had a program for a long time called PCO where people could get their AuD if they already had a masters, that was strange for me at first I thought the school might be like online or something. No, it is an amazing campus they have a great place there called the Pennsylvania Ear Institute, it is beautiful. You would get experience there doing everything, cochlear implants, they have three full vestibular courses when other programs have none. They even have these labs where they have tons of equipment that is not in the clinic so you can practice all the time. They have their own rotary chair, which I was reading there are only a small number of in the whole country and they have one in the balance lab! I honestly would say to apply to anyone who wants to get an AuD. They help you go to conferences and I really liked the faculty that I got to meet there. They have the biggest number of students as well, so even if you think you wouldn't get in, just apply, seriously I can't say enough how much I love this program. Just don't take my spot!

Hi
I saw your post, I applied to Salus University's program in their college of Audiology. It is the only college of audiology in the country. I went for a tour and interview and I have a great feeling about getting in. I LOVED it there. Everything about it. They have a medical focus and it is really hands on. I do not think that I would go anywhere else now. They have the most intense curriculum, you can look at it online. You do real medical classes and then their audiology classes are all hands on. The building is beautiful and they had more equipment than the audiology program at any other school I looked at including Towson, Gallaudet, Vanderbilt, Montclair, Northwestern, and Arizona Health Science. I was honestly blown away. Honestly, it is hard for me to think about going anywhere else now. I see it like the Harvard of AuD programs. I know they had a program for a long time called PCO where people could get their AuD if they already had a masters, that was strange for me at first I thought the school might be like online or something. No, it is an amazing campus they have a great place there called the Pennsylvania Ear Institute, it is beautiful. You would get experience there doing everything, cochlear implants, they have three full vestibular courses when other programs have none. They even have these labs where they have tons of equipment that is not in the clinic so you can practice all the time. They have their own rotary chair, which I was reading there are only a small number of in the whole country and they have one in the balance lab! I honestly would say to apply to anyone who wants to get an AuD. They help you go to conferences and I really liked the faculty that I got to meet there. They have the biggest number of students as well, so even if you think you wouldn't get in, just apply, seriously I can't say enough how much I love this program. Just don't take my spot!

Many programs have vestiublar classes as this is becoming more inherent to the audiology profession. I wish everyone here good luck in applying--to wherever it may be. The AuD has a promising outlook from where I'm standing.

X

Last edited: