So who has received OMT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baxt1412

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't been treated directly by a DO, but i've spent countless hours at the chiropractor getting graston, myofascial release, ART, etc.

It definitely helps to believe in this stuff (obviously).

I compete in powerlifting and after my meet in July of 2013 I started getting some nagging hip pain whenever I would descend down into a full squat. It felt like it was right on the medial side of my iliac crest. i figured it was hip flexor so i spent weeks and weeks just trying to stretch out the hip flexors, open up the hips, etc all to no avail. Then I thought... okay maybe I just need some time off from squatting as I hadn't done that in a while.

I took about a month off and tried to go back at it... same thing. Deadlifting never bothered it (sumo nor conventional). So then I just started sucking it up. If I stretched a bit before my sessions and during it hurt less so I just started working through the pain but it only got worse and then transferred into my day to day life.

I finally decided to look up Graston and low and behold there was a Graston-certified chiropractor in my tiny college town of 10k people. Hit her up and she did her assessment and it actually ended up being where my transverse abdominis attaches to the anterior superior iliac spine (ASIS). she did her magic with graston for i think 5 sessions over the time where i was rolling out my lower abs to try and free up some scar tissue, etc.

after a few sessions i started squatting again and i kid you not, it felt like nothing had ever happened there. i was still a bit leery to go heavy so i stayed light for about another month.

after that i decided to see where my strength was and i was honestly really surprised that there was no sizable strength loss. i'm totally a believer, and hope that although it wasn't specifically OMT that the schools can at least see that i have had similar techniques done on me.

so what about you? any OMT, graston, ART, myofascial release, etc?

TLDR: Couldn't squat w/out pain for about 7 months. 2.5 weeks of graston technique = magical

here is a link in case you are interested in graston. i know i plan on getting certified once i have my DO. i think it could be an excellent addition to an osteopathic "tool belt"
http://www.grastontechnique.com/

Members don't see this ad.

One of the ED physicians I work with recommended graston for some neck pain I've been having. I've got a pretty bad muscular imbalance (tight pecs, back not strong enough) which on top of computer guy posture makes my neck hurt pretty bad after sitting for long periods of time which is unfortunately often with studying.

I googled it and found a chiro and was reluctant after seeing some crazy stuff on tv about certain chiropractors but this guy I went to was great. He recommended graston and ART and it has been great for my neck. If anyone has neck pain I have had great experiences with both techniques. Plus I get 30 chiro visits a year with my insurance so it's pretty great.

Would love to. I spent a few years digging fence posts as a job, one of those years I had Lyme disease which was screwing up all my joints and whatnot. So my lower back is all sorts of messed up. I would LOVE to see a DO that practices OMT, but honestly I am just too lazy to schedule an appointment and take off of work. I will probably just wait until school starts and then whoever wants to practice on me can have at it heh. $20 to the first guy/gal who fixes the problem, consider it your first payment as a "student doctor" haha...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
One of the ED physicians I work with recommended graston for some neck pain I've been having. I've got a pretty bad muscular imbalance (tight pecs, back not strong enough) which on top of computer guy posture makes my neck hurt pretty bad after sitting for long periods of time which is unfortunately often with studying.

I googled it and found a chiro and was reluctant after seeing some crazy stuff on tv about certain chiropractors but this guy I went to was great. He recommended graston and ART and it has been great for my neck. If anyone has neck pain I have had great experiences with both techniques. Plus I get 30 chiro visits a year with my insurance so it's pretty great.

dude so lucky. my chiro copay is $80 per visit so i just do the cash option w/ my chiro for a $40 session.

idc what anyone says, until you've needed chiro care, received it, and felt better i don't think you truly understand that this stuff can work.
some people think chiros are quacks, but i've experienced first hand that it works wonders.

Would love to. I spent a few years digging fence posts as a job, one of those years I had Lyme disease which was screwing up all my joints and whatnot. So my lower back is all sorts of messed up. I would LOVE to see a DO that practices OMT, but honestly I am just too lazy to schedule an appointment and take off of work. I will probably just wait until school starts and then whoever wants to practice on me can have at it heh. $20 to the first guy/gal who fixes the problem, consider it your first payment as a "student doctor" haha...

there is a video (probably more) of a guy using the handle of a butter knife for his homemade graston tools... made me cringe lol.

I had a chiropractor use active release technique to drastically improve my sciatic nerve issue. You can call it coincidence or you can say what he did actually helped. I believe it actually helped.

I had a chiropractor use active release technique to drastically improve my sciatic nerve issue. You can call it coincidence or you can say what he did actually helped. I believe it actually helped.

yeah i mean people can feel better in just one session with some stuff... i don't think the placebo effect is that strong haha.

yeah i mean people can feel better in just one session with some stuff... i don't think the placebo effect is that strong haha.

I felt moderately better...it was after a series of appointments the pain was essentially gone. I went from not being able to bend over to feeling much better...and I want into the chiro as skeptical as anyone he's probably ever seen!

I hurt my back few years ago while lifting. Took physical therapy for it and I have been fine since. Not sure what happened in the last few days but my back is so painful (stabbing pain). I literally can't sit or walk without feeling the pain. And it travels down my leg. Pain meds are not really working...I think Im going to finally schedule an appointment with the chriopracter.

I hurt my back few years ago while lifting. Took physical therapy for it and I have been fine since. Not sure what happened in the last few days but my back is so painful (stabbing pain). I literally can't sit or walk without feeling the pain. And it travels down my leg. Pain meds are not really working...I think Im going to finally schedule an appointment with the chriopracter.

sounds almost like sciatica if it's originating in the glute and shooting down your leg.

the piriformis can get really tight sometimes in people who sit a lot for their jobs and then pulls on the sciatic nerve.

or it could be something completely different, just a guess.

sounds almost like sciatica if it's originating in the glute and shooting down your leg.

the piriformis can get really tight sometimes in people who sit a lot for their jobs and then pulls on the sciatic nerve.

or it could be something completely different, just a guess.
This was my guess also because lately I have been sitting alot and analyzing data at my job.

This was my guess also because lately I have been sitting alot and analyzing data at my job.

well good luck with it for sure. nerve pain is terrible.

seems like maybe not many of us have ever received "true" OMT here. it's only been a few hours though since i posted i guess.
makes you wonder why they ask about receiving OMT in some secondaries if it's so rare.

I was a test dummy for my friend who is OMS-III rotating in san diego. He did some lumbar HVLA on me and it really helped with my comfort. It felt comfortable to sit up straight so that was very awesome.

I was a test dummy for my friend who is OMS-III rotating in san diego. He did some lumbar HVLA on me and it really helped with my comfort. It felt comfortable to sit up straight so that was very awesome.

had to look it up, but looks really interesting. have to resist watching hours of these techniques on youtube lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Right? But every time I watched these I immediately think of OMT exams next year! D: ....gosh I'm so neurotic.

hopefully i will be thinking the same thing soon!!

did any of your interviews bring up your history with OMT?

hopefully i will be thinking the same thing soon!!

did any of your interviews bring up your history with OMT?

I hope so too bud!

No but I did mention the utilization of it as an "extra tool" in the "why DO?" question! That's really the ultimate distinguishing factor in DO schools, the use of OMT as therapy for specific pathology. I also used the rule of "the artery rules supreme" which is basically stating that proper movement of blood in addition to proper drainage of lymph is important for self-healing.

that's how i have been answering all of my secondaries too.... if i can do something that is going to make the patient feel better "immediately", without surgery, without prescriptions, etc... then why wouldn't I? i've been saying that being physical (not in that way you sickos) with patients gives them a reassurance that i'm there in the moment, not thinking about my next surgery, etc and that i truly care about their well-being enough to physically exam them and not just say oh okay let's try PT or let's try pill x, etc.

i'm sure they must get so tired of reading the same thing for "why DO?" all the time... but then again i'm sure they get tired of seeing essentially the same app ~75% of the time give or take an EC or two.

Had HVLA on my neck by one of the OMT instructors at my school... terrible experience.
Another instructor tried a week later... terrible experience.
The department chair had a go at it... started with OA decompression then HVLA... terrible experience. The OA decompression part was kind of relaxing though.

However, I will admit to being an OMT skeptic who hasn't really used OMT since the end of M2 year. I will say that I use aspects of the techniques for things in my line of work (ex: HVLA is a good analogy for the kind of needle jab needed to puncture a collapsible IJ in a hypovolemic patient; myofascial release is a good analogy for the kind of tissue give you feel right before a joint relocates, and so on and so forth).

When I was in highschool one of my old soccer coaches was a student at TCOM. He practiced an OMT technique on me for asthma. I think it had something to do with lifting my ribs? Don't really remember...and I don't think it did anything, but maybe it would of if he got more practice?

Had HVLA on my neck by one of the OMT instructors at my school... terrible experience.
Another instructor tried a week later... terrible experience.
The department chair had a go at it... started with OA decompression then HVLA... terrible experience. The OA decompression part was kind of relaxing though.

However, I will admit to being an OMT skeptic who hasn't really used OMT since the end of M2 year. I will say that I use aspects of the techniques for things in my line of work (ex: HVLA is a good analogy for the kind of needle jab needed to puncture a collapsible IJ in a hypovolemic patient; myofascial release is a good analogy for the kind of tissue give you feel right before a joint relocates, and so on and so forth).

that's too bad, what do you mean by terrible? worse pain or no alleviation? if worse pain, just during or chronically after?

When I was in highschool one of my old soccer coaches was a student at TCOM. He practiced an OMT technique on me for asthma. I think it had something to do with lifting my ribs? Don't really remember...and I don't think it did anything, but maybe it would of if he got more practice?

yeah i saw that while i was looking through youtube. can apparently free up the rib cage, diaphragm, etc to improve the breathing mechanism.

I had some pain in my should so severe that I thought it was post-herpetic neuralgia. My good DO colleague Dr KC fixed me. My other good colleague Dr ED also helps me with my back and shoulders when I've spent too much time at the keyboard.

I love 'em!

I haven't been treated directly by a DO, but i've spent countless hours at the chiropractor getting graston, myofascial release, ART, etc.

It definitely helps to believe in this stuff (obviously).

I compete in powerlifting and after my meet in July of 2013 I started getting some nagging hip pain whenever I would descend down into a full squat. It felt like it was right on the medial side of my iliac crest. i figured it was hip flexor so i spent weeks and weeks just trying to stretch out the hip flexors, open up the hips, etc all to no avail. Then I thought... okay maybe I just need some time off from squatting as I hadn't done that in a while.

I took about a month off and tried to go back at it... same thing. Deadlifting never bothered it (sumo nor conventional). So then I just started sucking it up. If I stretched a bit before my sessions and during it hurt less so I just started working through the pain but it only got worse and then transferred into my day to day life.

I finally decided to look up Graston and low and behold there was a Graston-certified chiropractor in my tiny college town of 10k people. Hit her up and she did her assessment and it actually ended up being where my transverse abdominis attaches to the anterior superior iliac spine (ASIS). she did her magic with graston for i think 5 sessions over the time where i was rolling out my lower abs to try and free up some scar tissue, etc.

after a few sessions i started squatting again and i kid you not, it felt like nothing had ever happened there. i was still a bit leery to go heavy so i stayed light for about another month.

after that i decided to see where my strength was and i was honestly really surprised that there was no sizable strength loss. i'm totally a believer, and hope that although it wasn't specifically OMT that the schools can at least see that i have had similar techniques done on me.

so what about you? any OMT, graston, ART, myofascial release, etc?

TLDR: Couldn't squat w/out pain for about 7 months. 2.5 weeks of graston technique = magical

here is a link in case you are interested in graston. i know i plan on getting certified once i have my DO. i think it could be an excellent addition to an osteopathic "tool belt"
http://www.grastontechnique.com/