So who wants to read my PS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

epsilonprodigy

Physicist Enough
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The title says it- folks in the PS thread weren't very responsive.

Members don't see this ad.

You never asked me?

PM'd you.

Awesome, thanks. Must've missed you, will send the finished product.

Incidentally, do you think this is tacky or "TMI": I am a nontrad, and the only real reason that I am a nontrad instead of going straight through is because I got pregnant with my son in undergrad and needed to get a real job pronto. Finished u-grad on time but went back for post-bacc. Do you think that basically admitting that my pregnancy was accidental and happened at a really young age (to explain the detour) will be frowned upon?

Members don't see this ad :)
hehehe Frazier, that would def. take the cake for "uniqueness." A pregnant guy? Gosh, think of the descrimination and barriers you must have faced. Hahvahd, here you come!

I am kinda banking on the adcoms being medical people- my essay makes a couple of references that non-medical people probably wouldn't get. :confused: Who are these adcom people anyway?

Do most people know what a ductus is? Do most people know that clubbed fingertips = chronic oxygen deprivation?

hehehe Frazier, that would def. take the cake for "uniqueness." A pregnant guy? Gosh, think of the descrimination and barriers you must have faced. Hahvahd, here you come!

I am kinda banking on the adcoms being medical people- my essay makes a couple of references that non-medical people probably wouldn't get. :confused: Who are these adcom people anyway?

Do most people know what a ductus is? Do most people know that clubbed fingertips = chronic oxygen deprivation?

I can read it and give you feedback if you PM me your statement.

ha, I'm gonna say no on that one...

If they're on adcoms, though, that should mean they have some tangential knowledge of medicine AT LEAST (and probably more) .. I'd expect clubbing to be a commonly known phenomenon.

I learned about that on House....hahaha

EDIT: I'll take a look at it for grammar/content if you need more eyes!

Awesome, thanks. Must've missed you, will send the finished product.

Incidentally, do you think this is tacky or "TMI": I am a nontrad, and the only real reason that I am a nontrad instead of going straight through is because I got pregnant with my son in undergrad and needed to get a real job pronto. Finished u-grad on time but went back for post-bacc. Do you think that basically admitting that my pregnancy was accidental and happened at a really young age (to explain the detour) will be frowned upon?

I think you may find similar folks with similar life stories in the nontrad forum. You might want to check out some nontrad MDapps too. Furthermore, the nontrads are pretty tight and PS readers are usually available.

Sent from my Android phone using Tapatalk

Also, as a PSA: I would err on the side of NOT assuming medical knowledge for the purpose of your PS. Even if a doctor is reviewing, s/he may not specialize in embryology/child development, etc..
Try and make your essay stand-alone and self-contained.

Furthermore, good clean and crisp writing in general tends to be written in fairly acessible language.

If they're on adcoms, though, that should mean they have some tangential knowledge of medicine AT LEAST (and probably more) .. I'd expect clubbing to be a commonly known phenomenon.

Again, a gross assumption. I don't think it will help at schools with a screening step done by administrative staff members. Worse than not recognizing the medical terms is having a subject matter expert read your essay and take issue with your medical explanations/judgements!

Also, the focus should be on your intentions, and I think medical issues/stories, while useful and sometimes integral, can become tangential and not an efficient use of the essay- given the character constraints.

Finally, med students, residents, and docs get dinged often for using medical jargon - even on the USMLE. So being able to communicate without relying on such terms is probably good practice sooner rather than later.

Last edited: